Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 PM

994 posts, read 725,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
It wasn't forcibly removed from their paychecks. When asked if all money from social security should be paid back, and cease the program, an overwhelming 60% of Americans support the continuation of the program.

"Now that we've spent 50 years making you dependent upon the welfare state, do you want us to take everything away tomorrow?"

Gee, what a surprise they said no. We are in the midst of a welfare state now. You establish a welfare state and let it grow for half a century and then ask people if they want you want to just up and cancel it? That's absurd. None of the people you're asking have ever known anything but a welfare state. Most of the infrastructure that kept people from needing a welfare state has been gone for decades now. You might as well ask if we should make Portugese the national language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
As I said, on SS, feel free to start another thread, see how quickly people disagree with you. We the people, thats what it says, and the people decide what they want, and they want social security. Feel free to disagree, thats not the point, the point is people called it theft, and it is not theft.
It's not theft... because the majority agrees with it.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:04 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
It's not theft... because the majority agrees with it.
Sure it's theft..You are advocating Mob Rule...

And that isn't what this country was founded upon...contrary to what some in this thread might say.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:24 AM

254 posts, read 202,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I neither want nor need universal health care. And yes, I do know what is in my own best interest.
Well you aren't the entire US population now are you. You have healthcare insurance but not every American does and that's the problem. We spend more on healthcare than any nation in the world and yet we mediocre compared to other countries that have universal healthcare but pay much much less and have much better coverage.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
The federalists were the big, central government party of implied intent of the constitution.

Ever read Hamilton?
I have read all the Federalist Papers? Have you? In no reading of any of Hamilton's writings have I come across anything that would justify Social Security.

What people have to remember is Jefferson and Madison were the moderates when it came to giving power to the federal government. I suggest people also read the arguments of the anti-federalists, such as Patrick Henry.

Let me answer the question I posed to you. 60% of the population cannot ireinstitute chattel slavery unless they can convince five of the oligarchs in black to twist the wording of the Constitution.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:35 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Libertarians = Closet Anarchists.

Nobody with a modicum of intelligence takes these morons seriously.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not this one. Do what you want but don't ask me to subsidize it with my taxes. I'm "that kind" of libertarian..fiscally conservative, socially liberal.

That's about where I fall.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Libertarians = Closet Anarchists.

Nobody with a modicum of intelligence takes these morons seriously.
"Anarchist" is such an arcane term....We like to be called "Anti-Statists" And that's what many Libertarians are not actual "Anarchists"....Why would anyone be in the closet about it? lol

And if you have a full understanding of how states were created and what they always lead to....You might reevaluate your statement.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
"Anarchist" is such an arcane term....We like to be called "Anti-Statists" And that's what many Libertarians are not actual "Anarchists"....Why would anyone be in the closet about it? lol

And if you have a full understanding of how states were created and what they always lead to....You might reevaluate your statement.
Perhaps because anarchists were responsible for the assassination of President McKinley and associated with the start of WW I, nobody wants to be known as an anarchist. Libertarians simply took a page from the Democrat playbook by calling themselves something they are not.

The Democrats are exactly the opposite of "liberal" and "progressive." Just like the Libertarian's idea of "liberty" is the complete absence of all government. Their official party platform even says as much.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Perhaps because anarchists were responsible for the assassination of President McKinley and associated with the start of WW I, nobody wants to be known as an anarchist. Libertarians simply took a page from the Democrat playbook by calling themselves something they are not.

The Democrats are exactly the opposite of "liberal" and "progressive." Just like the Libertarian's idea of "liberty" is the complete absence of all government. Their official party platform even says as much.
How is complete absence of government not totally consistent with the term "liberty" though?

The issue here is you feel the need to slap a label...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies