Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 09:42 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I just don't see any improvement at all and definitely no jobs either. I don't understand where this is happening at.
Take a look:

Lots of upward pointing graphs here showing a variety of professions with upward hiring trends (some with slowly growing numbers, others with faster growing numbers - and a couple with downward numbers. Most however are clearly showing upward trends):

Jobs. Trends. Insight.

...According to the Conference Board’s monthly Help Wanted Online report, the number of advertised job openings online increased by 61,300 in January, to 4,383,400. Online job postings increased by 207,118 year-over-year.

Job market recovery off to a great start in 2012

Flexible Writing, Web & Graphic Design Jobs on the Rise

Monster.com reports their job listings are on the rise:

Monster’s Employment Index Shows 9% Annual Growth in the US

Monster’s monthly employment index for January is now available and the highlights include annual growth of 9% with transportation and warehousing and retail and wholesale markets showing the most strength and growth trends. Monster develops its Employment Index by doing a real-time review of millions of job opportunities from a large selection of career websites and online job listings. I think the monthly reports provide valuable information and insight into the state of the job market for recruiters

Monster

Here's a more in-depth report from Monster.com. Note that the trend for the last few months has been down - but that's normal for this time of year (for comparison look at last years numbers for the same months - the number drops to a low in January then rebounds starting in February. There's nearly a 10% gain over the same months last year):

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...Rises-9-Annual

LOTS of evidence of improvement in the job market. All you have to do is open your eyes and look.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 09:50 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Take a look:

Lots of upward pointing graphs here showing a variety of professions with upward hiring trends (some with slowly growing numbers, others with faster growing numbers - and a couple with downward numbers. Most however are clearly showing upward trends):

Jobs. Trends. Insight.

...According to the Conference Board’s monthly Help Wanted Online report, the number of advertised job openings online increased by 61,300 in January, to 4,383,400. Online job postings increased by 207,118 year-over-year.

Monster’s monthly employment index for January is now available and the highlights include annual growth of 9% with transportation and warehousing and retail and wholesale markets showing the most strength and growth trends. Monster develops its Employment Index by doing a real-time review of millions of job opportunities from a large selection of career websites and online job listings. I think the monthly reports provide valuable information and insight into the state of the job market for recruiters

Monster

LOTS of evidence of improvement in the job market. All you have to do is open your eyes and look.

Ken

Yet, at 63.7%, the civilian workforce participation rate is the lowest it's been in thirty years...

Looks like we're still losing more jobs than we're creating.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:53 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,762,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Take a look:

Jobs. Trends. Insight.

Monster

Ken
I am not convinced by stats. Too easily skewed. I go by what I see everyday. More and more have lost their jobs. More are severely underemployed. I know of several that are no longer eligible for ui and another several that are losing their homes.
I know that I am personally having a very hard time finding a job. There are ever so few more jobs available however half of the increase is for work at home "business" opportunities or nurses. One I'm not getting sucked into and the other I just can't do.
No I am not seeing improvement. I am seeing the cost of living - gas, food, clothing, energy prices increasing but not wages. It is not better now than in 2008. That much I know for certain.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
I am not convinced by stats. Too easily skewed. I go by what I see everyday.

No I am not seeing improvement. I am seeing the cost of living - gas, food, clothing, energy prices increasing but not wages. It is not better now than in 2008. That much I know for certain.
Oh yes. Trust your gut. Pay no attention to facts. It's the Republican way. George W. Bush and Sarah Palin would be proud.

For those of us who prefer to deal with reality, there's lots of good news.

Nasdaq 3000 Is Rally's Latest Milestone - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20120229-715701.html - broken link)

The economy is improving, and Republicans are furious about it.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:58 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The economy is not strengthening. This is the quiet before the storm. The printing presses for the euro are smoking hot to the tune of $500 Billion in an attempt to hold the eurozone together. China is printing as well while their economy begins to faulter due to decrease demand for goods from Western markets. Money is pouring in to the US stockmarkets as a result of that, low bond yields and a continued soft real estate market with the other shoe about to drop. Gas prices are headed up, up, up and Obama wants it that way.

Remember in 2008 one day we were at DOW 14000+ and then, without warning from the MSM or POTUS candidates, the bottom fell out.

Do you really want to vote for any of the guys who didn't see this economic crisis and soon to follow monetary crisis coming? Do you want to vote for the current guy who has tripled the US debt?

Me, I'll vote for the guy who predicted this and who has a plan to cut $1 Trillion in real spending the first year alone while re-establishing the US Constitution as the law of the land and recinding previous POTUSs unConstitutional Executive Orders.

Ron Paul 2012!
it's actually 535 billion euro...which is around $750B

Love the "Obama wants it that way" on gas prices. Nevermind that he's the first President to raise fuel economy standards in a while...which will help decrease our demand for oil.

Guess what - gas prices go up EVERY YEAR at this time. memory doesn't serve you folks well in this category whenever it looks like an opportunity to blame a dem.

yeah - cutting all of that will do wonders for the economy. love the lack of economic knowledge.

Last edited by bradykp; 03-02-2012 at 10:09 PM..

Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
I'm a big fan of Ron Paul but the writing is on the wall. America hates his ideas of fiscal prudence and a humble foreign policy. Romney will be the nominee and Obama will crush him.

This is EXACTLY like 20 years ago when Ross Perot was the "funny-looking, little old man, crazy uncle" whose rock solid ideas and eerily prescient predictions and warnings of the future were ignored because he didn't look like a middle-aged Ken doll who would SAY ANYTHING to be president.

Let's face it...Americans are too stupid to vote for a man like Ron Paul.

Its Obama vs. Romney

*Sigh*
That's because the majority of Americans prefer to be slaves to the government. They're used to corruption that plagued the government and the politics. I guess that's why people hate on Paul supporters so much. They don't want the current system broken.

Which is why I believe Americans are more self-destructive than other nationalities.

So yeah, I'm also a big supporter of Ron Paul.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:04 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
I am not convinced by stats. Too easily skewed. I go by what I see everyday. More and more have lost their jobs. More are severely underemployed. I know of several that are no longer eligible for ui and another several that are losing their homes.
I know that I am personally having a very hard time finding a job. There are ever so few more jobs available however half of the increase is for work at home "business" opportunities or nurses. One I'm not getting sucked into and the other I just can't do.
In other words "Don't confuse me with the facts. I have my OWN reality."

Well, that's fine - you can have your own reality as long as you want - but I will tell you this much: If you are predicting Obama will lose because of YOUR reality, you're going to be in for a shock in November.

Ken

Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Oh yes. Trust your gut. Pay no attention to facts. It's the Republican way. George W. Bush and Sarah Palin would be proud.

For those of us who prefer to deal with reality, there's lots of good news.

Nasdaq 3000 Is Rally's Latest Milestone - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20120229-715701.html - broken link)

The economy is improving, and Republicans are furious about it.
Typical personal attacks and summation, unwarranted I might add.

I did not say I don't trust "facts". I said I don't trust stats. They are too easy to tamper with.
Just because something says it "should" be better doesn't mean it's reality. I go by what I see with my own eyes not what I hear. What I see is not improving.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Only 3 million people have left the work force since Obama took over. Gas prices have doubled. Home prices have dropped an additional 25%. Our debt has increased by 5 Trillion. Power plants are being closed in droves that have led to increased electricity rates and power shortages. If you are happy with this economy vote for Obama.
electric rates are actually rather low due to natural gas prices. rate hikes for companies that have been waiting 2 decades or more to raise rates is why prices went up in some areas.

gas prices were only low because the economy tanked.

1.2M of those that "left the work force" are due simply to the census adjustments. 10,000 people per day turn 65 due to baby boomers. that's 300,000 per month. you do the math.

love these pathetic arguments though.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:08 PM

No unfortunately we will probably have to deal with a whole lot of the same nothingness for another four years.
Funny, I asked why people would vote for him again and what he's done that people are happy with and the best answer I got was lack of a better choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies