Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:33 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,027,771 times

Advertisements

Ocean Acidification Is Now Almost Certainly Occurring Faster Than It Has for at Least 300 Million Years | Ecocentric | TIME.com

Is this going to be enough to get you to change your lifestyle, however minutely?

What would be enough to get you to change your current lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 11:28 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
A manned colony on Mars and enough people to ensure that even if the earth is a total loss... We as a species survive...We kind of keep our eggs in one basket as they say and that is a bad thing IMO.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:46 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Ocean Acidification Is Now Almost Certainly Occurring Faster Than It Has for at Least 300 Million Years | Ecocentric | TIME.com

Is this going to be enough to get you to change your lifestyle, however minutely?

We already KNOW the enviornmental scientist before pushing man made global warming were shown to have been faking most all the tests to get the results they wanted.
I don't think there is any validity to any of it at this point.

Many of the weather changes on earth are mirrored on planets like Mars where we have never been, so I for one don't take this seriously at all. I think it is just a way for the far left to push left wing political changes into society at large. FAIL!

Old 03-02-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
A manned colony on Mars and enough people to ensure that even if the earth is a total loss... We as a species survive...We kind of keep our eggs in one basket as they say and that is a bad thing IMO.
Mars already shows they have the same climate changes without man there. Now you want to put man there so Al Gore and company can claim we did something to Mars? No, please no.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:53 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Mars already shows they have the same climate changes without man there. Now you want to put man there so Al Gore and company can claim we did something to Mars? No, please no.
I want to know .. What ever happened to Glo-Bull 'Cooling'?

Wasn't that THE crisis in or around the 1970's?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:58 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,513,424 times
Quote:

Are you kidding? Most of the people on this forum are flat earthers. In fact, many relish the thought of f'ing up the planet for future generations, it is a goal they have (likely in some retarded form of retaliation for flunking science in H.S.)

Old 03-03-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
I want to know .. What ever happened to Glo-Bull 'Cooling'?

Wasn't that THE crisis in or around the 1970's?
Yeah, we were going to have an ice age along with our misery index and gas lines back in the 70s.
Then we got warmer in the planetary cycle and the jerks decided to fake things with the likes of Al Gore to saw we were not having global warming.

Of course the earth hasn't been warming for some time, but don't let that bother you.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:19 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Yeah, we were going to have an ice age along with our misery index and gas lines back in the 70s.
Then we got warmer in the planetary cycle and the jerks decided to fake things with the likes of Al Gore to saw we were not having global warming.

Of course the earth hasn't been warming for some time, but don't let that bother you.
Maybe the 'Glo-Bull' cooling caused the 'Glo-Bull' warming?

Maybe the OP is right .. Us 'flat-earthers' are just too d@mn stupid or MEAN to see it!

We wanna Destroy 'Mother Earth'!
Oh .. Noes!!!

Old 03-03-2012, 12:30 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,475,534 times
oh please,

The ocean currently has a pH of 8.1, which is alkaline not acid. In order to become acid, it would have to drop below 7.0. According to Wikipedia “Between 1751 and 1994 surface ocean pH is estimated to have decreased from approximately 8.179 to 8.104.” At that rate, it will take another 3,500 years for the ocean to become even slightly acid.

Quote:
Quote:
At our current increased acidity levels, many corals are starting to die off, and if the rate of acidification continues, most corals will be extinct by the time I'm 80.
This does indeed sound alarming, until you consider that corals became common in the oceans during the Ordovician Era – nearly 500 million years ago – when atmospheric CO2 levels were about 10X greater than they are today.

In 1954, the US detonated the world’s largest nuclear weapon at Bikini Island in the South Pacific. The bomb was equivalent to 30 billion pounds of TNT, vapourised three islands, and raised water temperatures to 55,000 degrees. Yet half a century of rising CO2 later, the corals at Bikini are thriving. Another drop in pH of 0.075 will likely have less impact on the corals than a thermonuclear blast. The corals might even survive a rise in ocean temperatures of half a degree, since they flourished at times when the earth’s temperature was 10C higher than the present.

There seems to be no shortage of theories about how rising CO2 levels will destroy the planet, yet the geological record shows that life flourished for hundreds of millions of years with much higher CO2 levels and temperatures. This is a primary reason why there are so many skeptics in the geological community. At some point the theorists will have to start paying attention to empirical data.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:44 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,999,290 times
Quote:

You need to talk to the Chinese. Also talk to India. You see we are told to reduce our carbon footprint by you global warming loons but never take into account they are increasing theirs faster than we are decreasing. Then there is also the issue that co2 makes up such a small percentage of the greenhouse effect it's barely recognizable. Don't let that stop you from ranting on though. As for me I took an offer of 1 billion carbon credits from some looney tune website that promised they would not shower or drive their cars to make up for my carbon footprint so I'm doing my part. I got the certificate to prove it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies