Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:55 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Sandra Fluke wasn't used by anyone except those making fun. She holds her beliefs and wanted to make them known. She is a student, she is 30, she can also be an activist for a cause as we all can be. She has a particular interest in BC being included in Rx insurance coverage (no, not because she wants to have a bunch of sex and make you pay for it). People are turning this into something it's not. Someone who knows something and believes something wanted to speak. The horroe. The only relevant facts are what she actually said and what other people said in reaction. Rush..I'm talking 'buot you.
It is strange that all the criticism of her completely ignores what she testified. Well, I guess not strange, when you consider the sources, and target audience, of the criticism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 03:58 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
GOP: Dems 'played games' over Sandra Fluke | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

Interesting little read. I still believe that this 30 year old activist was used (and im sure she didnt mind) by the Democrats. She was used solely for political purposes.

Something else to remember, no one was even talking about birth control until Obama brought this whole thing up. He is doing nothing more than playing pathetic political games. The goal, which has been successful so far, is to put something out there he knew many would be upset over, and the overall focus would shift from his record, the economy, gas, jobs, etc to this silly thing over bc.

So much for that hope and change coming to DC. He is as bad as anyone else thats been here when it comes to political charades and games. While Im sure some of you are proud he used this trick, but you really should be ashamed. But if you arent now, you never will be. The media and Obama pushed this hope and change and how Obama was really something different and refreshing. From week one he proved he was nothing different. Same bs. Tax cheats, lies, scandals, no transparency.

He continued some of the things he stood flat out against, and the liberals did too......at one time. Now very few libs say anything about the things they were yelling about 4 years ago. Its ok if Obama does it I suppose....

Bottom line is he used this BC and Sandra Fluke for political purposes. He knew at least part of what she said was going to make her look a bit foolish but he and Pelosi trotted her out there anyways. Im not going to excuse some of the names she's been called, unfortunately some on the right let themselves get caught in this stupid trap and they bit...bit hard. Regardless, half of her testimony was nonsense and can be easily argued against. But the fact that Obama orchestrated all this for distraction and political stupidity is what really should be the focus here. Its a shame many of you cant see that or you wont admit it. I believe you need to find another leader.
It makes perfect sense. The Democrats want to divert the conversation from energy, the economy, and other matters of import. What better way than to get a national 'drama thread' (if you will) going. Best of all there's a sex angle, and the 'how Obama got elected' types can really sink their teeth into something like that.

James Carville used to be the master of setting up these back-and-forths, cleverly designed to accomplish some political end. I am not a conspiracy buff, but it wouldn't shock me if the whole thing was a scripted set up. The woman's testimony was so pathetic, it was almost like it was designed to provoke attacks. If so, Limbaugh (and quite a few other conservative pundits) got played, because he took the bait. And I say that as a Limbaugh fan

Old 03-03-2012, 04:12 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
...Limbaugh (and quite a few other conservative pundits) got played, because he took the bait.
Ya think?

Actually, in all honesty, I salute you for seeing at least that. A good part of the people on your side are still refusing to acknowledge that shiny thing in their cheek.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:17 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Limbaugh simply handed a significant chunk of the already leaning women's vote to Obama with those remarks

What competent opposition wouldn't be taking full advantage of that? It would be professional malfeasance not to. You guys keep forgetting that there really are skilled political operatives on the Democratic side too.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:20 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
Bill Maher's not on AM radio blurting out his obscenities. You have to pay to hear Bill Maher.
Ed Schultz issued a public apology to Laura Inghram and took a self suspended week off w/o pay.
Rush Limbaugh, OTOH, has a history of trashing women and failing to issue any sort of apology.
No you dont always have to pay since HBO offers so many free subscriptions. But how is it ok for Maher to say what he said simply because of that and its not ok for Rush? So if Rush would have said it on HBO he'd be ok?

Ok well Rush has now apologized also so according to Ed all things are fine now. Ignore that Rush and Ed both have free speech and shouldnt have had to

Well he apologized this time so guess that history starts now.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:21 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,544,986 times
I like how republicans have been dragging out this excuse over and over. "The dems are playing games, they tricked us!" Obama ambushed them by going to the yearly retreat they invited him to, they were tricked into voting down their own proposals by Obama supporting them, they were forced to cut the deficit by constantly refusing to compromise in any way, they were tricked into standing against the payroll tax cut by...something, and now they'd been tricked into calling women sluts and prostitutes because Pelosi invited a woman to testify on women's contraception.

Man, republicans don't seem to have any confidence in their leaders at all.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:23 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
GOP: Dems 'played games' over Sandra Fluke | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

Interesting little read. I still believe that this 30 year old activist was used (and im sure she didnt mind) by the Democrats. She was used solely for political purposes.
Of course, this was long before planned when the White House had Stephanopoulos asking the GOP in a debate about contraception.

It's a Trojan horse to deflect Obama and the issues of the economy, Iran, Israel, Catholics, the Arab Spring, his hidden personal records and Obama-care.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It makes perfect sense. The Democrats want to divert the conversation from energy, the economy, and other matters of import. What better way than to get a national 'drama thread' (if you will) going. Best of all there's a sex angle, and the 'how Obama got elected' types can really sink their teeth into something like that.

James Carville used to be the master of setting up these back-and-forths, cleverly designed to accomplish some political end. I am not a conspiracy buff, but it wouldn't shock me if the whole thing was a scripted set up. The woman's testimony was so pathetic, it was almost like it was designed to provoke attacks. If so, Limbaugh (and quite a few other conservative pundits) got played, because he took the bait. And I say that as a Limbaugh fan
I think the Republicans want to divert attention from the improving economy, which Obama will surely take credit for during the campaign, with this kind of nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Of course, this was long before planned when the White House had Stephanopoulos asking the GOP in a debate about contraception.

It's a Trojan horse to deflect Obama and the issues of the economy, Iran, Israel, Catholics, the Arab Spring, his hidden personal records and Obama-care.
Link?

You know, I can't even remember how this mess started any more.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:37 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
The question begs.
Ok some women have valid health concerns and require medication. That is a seperate issue from contraception. It was lumped together because it was intended to deliver the message: Deny contraceptives and women will be hurt. No a small percentage would be and they most likely are covered by insurance.
Condoms are pretty cheap. But even pricey ones at $2.50 each say sex 3 times a week over 4 years=$1560.00.
If they need sex that bad have the boy friend go haves on them. Thats $780.00 over for years or $16.25 a month.................
Ok I am a prude lets double it or $32.50 a month. A little more than a dollar a day for sex. Pretty cheap really.
Oh but they don't like condoms?
$9.00 a month at target near Georgetown..
Cost for birth control pills near Georgetown? $9 at Target | Radio Vice Online.
That would be 3 cents a day.
Dont like the pill?
Depo - provera 35 to 75 every 3 months split the difference. call it $50.00
55 cents a day. $803.00 over 4 years.
Cell phone bill. My wife has the average with internet. $75.00 per month or $2.50 a day. Track phone is much cheaper.
My point being her argument was weak at best.
Rush was an ass, but when you stick your neck out argueing something this lame you get treated bad for it.
They want sex? Good so did I and I still do. I just don't expect everyone else to foot the bill.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:09 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ya think?

Actually, in all honesty, I salute you for seeing at least that. A good part of the people on your side are still refusing to acknowledge that shiny thing in their cheek.
But to admit that is to admit that the whole thing was a disingenuous ploy by the Democrats and Fluke. In other words, as Ann Coulter likes to say, there are two parties: the evil party, and the stupid party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies