Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 05:14 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Then you're missing out on Cajun country, New Orleans, Miami, Orlando, and many other places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Don't forget Savannah and Charleston.
All the places listed are on the coast (except Orlando, which is 60 miles to the beach). Mobile, coastal MS, and the Outer Banks NC are also nice places to visit. Everywhere else inland is meh.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:15 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Cornfields are beautiful. Without them - what would the OP eat?
Without petroleum what would you drive, doesn't mean oil fields are nice to look at.

Cornfield are not beautiful

Old 03-03-2012, 05:16 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Personally, anybody who makes a blanket statement about any region, state, or even city, is a bit of a nitwit to me. I've been to every state except Alaska, Idaho, and Oregon, and I've found some great places in all of them.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:16 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Nice. LA is like a different planet. You have black racist gangs who hate white, Latinos, and Asians. You have ghettos where people kill each other on a regular basis. And you have the Hollywood area where celebrities think the world revolves around them when the only thing revolving around them are paprazzi. So it's a city of shooting. Shooting bullets (gangs), shooting photos (paprazzi), and shooting Botox (celebrities and wannabes).

Exactly! They live in this jungle and have the nerve to criticize other places. Go figure.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:18 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
When I say they, I mean the good people of that State. Not hard to understand.
I imagine this sign at the state line:

WELCOME TO MISSOURI

State Motto:
"Don't Get High on your own Supply"

Old 03-03-2012, 05:18 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Personally, anybody who makes a blanket statement about any region, state, or even city, is a bit of a nitwit to me. I've been to every state except Alaska, Idaho, and Oregon, and I've found some great places in all of them.
Does that include foreign destinations? Or does that rule only hold within the US boundaries?

Old 03-03-2012, 05:21 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdog101 View Post
most corn is livestock feed. And the cornfields are pretty--about 3 months out of the year; then they turn brown and then the corn is harvested and then the dirt and corn stover is all that is left until the next year when the little corn plants start to emerge. And here in South Dakota, the chemical additives used in the cornfields run into the waterways and turn the lakes green by mid to late June. I had to rinse my boat every time I pulled it from the lake just to keep it from turning green.
Maybe that's why on the National Park map the Midwest is a huge black hole

Old 03-03-2012, 05:25 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Without petroleum what would you drive, doesn't mean oil fields are nice to look at.

Cornfield are not beautiful
OK - the "amber waves of grain" are beautiful - and they are on "the fruited plain" in America which "God has shed His grace on (thee)".

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL by Ray Charles - YouTube" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 03-03-2012, 05:26 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
True -- I have been to most states, and I have found good things everywhere I have gone. A few weeks ago, I was transferred to Kansas. Most of the people I work with hate it there -- KANSAS?!? -- they mope and complain about it.

Well, it so happens where we are is about 8 miles from a major university. There are about 2 square miles around the university where there are cool coffee shops, book stores, taverns, trendy restaraunts. The area is small, but I rarely leave it. The neighborhood could have been carved out of any major city. It's nice.

I bet if the OP visisted the area, he'd drive around and look at the rundown shops, the gun ranges, the cow patties, the tractors, the country churches, the old diners, and turn up his nose and think how awful the area is.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:27 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
The OP's post is typical of the east/west coast liberals' view of (fly over country). There were many New Orleans natives who, prior to hurricane Katrina, never left the city. After Katrina kicked them out, many of them also felt some culture shock. Some had to learn the hard way that walking down the street drinking booze isn't legal, other cities' DA/jails don't have a revolving door, and that there is life outside the city. Some even chose to remain where they were evacuated to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies