Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times

Advertisements

This is not breaking news. This is not news. This is not newsworthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Yes, he said the insurer was required to absorb the cost in those cases (church run hospitals, etc), and actual churches don't have to provide it to their employees at all (like the church secretary or bookeeper).
Okay, then we can stop with that part of the debate! Of course it will continue, though, since people can't seem to get this through their thick heads.

Quote:
Aren't BC pills supposed to be free now? I was under the impression that was the source of the bickering... it no longer requires a copay.
I didn't think so, but would have to re-read the coverage to say for sure.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:33 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Wow. I pay $90 for 3mth supply. The doctor's visit is $70.00 (half refunded via Medicare), and she writes perscription for me to cover 12 months.

Costs me about $400.00

This is without any insurance... . Thats of course, not in America.
I think you are starting to see why Planned Parenthood is so beloved by American women. LOL. It is essentially a non profit OB/GYN that subsidizes the cost of such things for poor and under-insured women. Many women used it when they are young and broke, perhaps in college or just starting out in a crappy job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

I didn't think so, but would have to re-read the coverage to say for sure.
Yeah you may be right. I'm pretty sure its part of Obamacare but I'm not sure when that kicks in.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
That's just not true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So, you (alphamale) are doubting both the CDC and Guttmacher Institute? I assume you have some other reliable evidence to support your claim this is false?

Old 03-04-2012, 09:38 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
I think you are starting to see why Planned Parenthood is so beloved by American women. LOL. It is essentially a non profit OB/GYN that subsidizes the cost of such things for poor and under-insured women. Many women used it when they are young and broke, perhaps in college or just starting out in a crappy job.
I find the American health system interesting.

Its not like I'm poor, young, broke or under insured where I live. $3k for BC. Seriously. That is absurd.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Yup! I used PP when I was in college, even though I had insurance coverage through my parents (and on campus if I so desired). Not only was it cheaper than my copays, but you could get same-day appointments with no hassle... and the one in my college's town was nice and clean, with really good doctors/practitioners working there. Not quite the sleazy "abortion mill" so many conservatives would have you believe it is, huh?

Old 03-04-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Its not like I'm poor, young, broke or under insured where I live. $3k for BC. Seriously. That is absurd.
Interesting isn't quite the word... absurd is definitely more accurate here.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:45 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:

LOL. Well to be fair that 3K figure I believe was an estimate for costs over the course of law school maybe? So that would be 3 years. She may have been speaking specifically of her friend as well, who had a medical condition that required regular labwork to be done. So it would be somewhat cheaper for the average coed, but it is still pricey without insurance.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
LOL. Well to be fair that 3K figure I believe was an estimate for costs over the course of law school maybe? So that would be 3 years. She may have been speaking specifically of her friend as well, who had a medical condition that required regular labwork to be done. So it would be somewhat cheaper for the average coed, but it is still pricey without insurance.
Yeah, I think that figure included the friend's lab work too. But it is around $40-50/month (if earlier posts are correct), which would total up to $1800 over a 3-year period... and that's just for the PILL, whereas methods like IUD or Mirena are even pricier. When insurance plans do cover birth control, the copays are only in the $10-20/month range, which is considerably less over a long period of time.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:55 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Let's use this thread to lay out the facts about contraception in the US.

The Guttmacher Institute is always a good place to start but any recognized health institution could also be cited.

Here's a few to get the ball rolling:

• Virtually all women (more than 99%) aged 15–44 who have ever had sexual intercourse have used at least one contraceptive method.[2]

• Overall, 62% of the 62 million women aged 15–44 are currently using a method.
that is very good, so they can afford it. excellent. if they are already buying it they should keep on buying it!! no need for public funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies