Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,589,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Like Rush has said, they (include Stewart) are political pundits until they get in trouble, then they hide behind "but I'm a only comedian."

I'll say it again. Bill Maher works for HBO. HBO has no advertising so ratings don't matter. HBO gets its money by having people subscribe to HBO. HBO gets people to subscribe to HBO by touting its award winning shows. Once you subscribe to HBO, HBO doesn't care what you watch/don't watch on HBO. There is no money gotten by what shows/movies have big or small audiences. The awards are voted on by Hollywood. All Bill Maher has to do is get awards by pleasing Hollywood so HBO can tout its Award Winning Shows to get subscribers. He doesn't have to get more viewers. He can be anything he wants to be as long as Hollywood keeps nominating and voting for his show. Once you or I subscribe to HBO, HBO doesn't care if you watch movies or its shows or you don't hardly watch HBO at all.

That's why Maher should be evaluated differently. As long as Hollywood likes him, no one else matters.

More than Hollywood likes him. It is almost impossible to get a ticket to one of this road shows. They sell out in about 24 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,210,803 times
Neither, as far as I'm concerned.
He's not funny, nor is he a pundit.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,594,003 times
He is a person that sees too clearly for the comfortable.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:18 AM

23,371 posts, read 17,045,178 times
Classification has no bearing on the content vomited from this man. The vomit is diagnostic of his pathology.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:20 AM

4,321 posts, read 5,114,400 times
Rush Limbaugh has been a key note speaker at Conservative party events. I think his influence is finally fading but for years he was THE leading voice of the Republican party.

Maher falls under a category of "another lefty political comedian" to be enjoyed on the side... a 'weekly show' rather than a 'daily.' [correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of Maher ever participating directly in Dem party events]

My point is, Republicans own Limbaugh and vice versa... now is a great time for them to abandon him and his hate and lies. Mitt Romney's ever-so-gentle rebuke of Rush's Fluke attacks reveals how indebted Repubs are to the man.

Maher is just another source of amusement and opinion for Democrats. President Obama and other ranking Dems do not quote him, they just carry on and work hard at what's best for the country.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,210,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Like Rush has said, they (include Stewart) are political pundits until they get in trouble, then they hide behind "but I'm a only comedian."

I'll say it again. Bill Maher works for HBO. HBO has no advertising so ratings don't matter. HBO gets its money by having people subscribe to HBO. HBO gets people to subscribe to HBO by touting its award winning shows. Once you subscribe to HBO, HBO doesn't care what you watch/don't watch on HBO. There is no money gotten by what shows/movies have big or small audiences. The awards are voted on by Hollywood. All Bill Maher has to do is get awards by pleasing Hollywood so HBO can tout its Award Winning Shows to get subscribers. He doesn't have to get more viewers. He can be anything he wants to be as long as Hollywood keeps nominating and voting for his show. Once you or I subscribe to HBO, HBO doesn't care if you watch movies or its shows or you don't hardly watch HBO at all.

That's why Maher should be evaluated differently. As long as Hollywood likes him, no one else matters.
So HBO doesn't care about ratings? People only watch HBO because of the awards they win? This is all a liberal hollywood conspiracy? Since most people will not pay for a service they don't use, HBO does want viewers and they want to keep those viewers.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:25 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,736,999 times
Q: Is this man a comedian or a political pundit?
A: Comedian, who easily gets on the nerves of those who he targets.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:12 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,167,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I have read that he is described as a "political satirist" and I believe that is apt. He creates satire out of political goings on. Not really a comdian and not a political pundit either.
He sure laughs at himself plenty of times. He thinks he is a comedian.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I don't agree with everything Mahr says. He's an Athiest. I'm not. He's often vulgur, I'm not so inclined. He does have a great natural instinct to ferret-out the con men, political phoney's, the grifters and scam artists. He also allows opposing viewpoints. On balance, I learn from watching hsi show .. as I learn from watching others. I blend the various perspectives. Not Rush, though. He's a Pig. A racist. Someone who should be run from town on a rail. With tar and feathers.
I have thought the same about Maher as you do about Rush for a very long time.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
He's either a comedian doing political comedy, or a pundit doing comedy. What difference does it make, Are we arguing semantics here?
What I am getting is the way the media and his supporters give him a pass when he calls women, like Palin, c_-ts and so forth.

I think that my link tells us something about the woman Rush called a nasty name that hasn't been brought out up to now. More of the free pass to libs and getting all over non-libs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies