Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:15 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,616,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I've watched his show many times. Maybe I'm just lucky enough to catch him saying the same thing...again, and again.

Well, I guess you missed his Islam disgust then? It was pretty harsh. I was even surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 11:16 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,769,662 times
Quote:
I've watched his show many times. Maybe I'm just lucky enough to catch him saying the same thing...again, and again.
Is there a difference between watching and knowing what the person is talking about and his position on various subjects? Must be, seeing that your claim is disconnected with realities. And I've rarely seen his show (and only if I have nothing else to watch and am flipping channels).

The least you could do is look at how he used and abused ALL THREE Abrahamic religions in "Religulous"?

Old 03-06-2012, 11:22 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,767,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Is there a difference between watching and knowing what the person is talking about and his position on various subjects? Must be, seeing that your claim is disconnected with realities. And I've rarely seen his show (and only if I have nothing else to watch and am flipping channels).

The least you could do is look at how he used and abused ALL THREE Abrahamic religions in "Religulous"?
Sorry, I was busy searching for examples of his Muslim bashing. I was surprised to find a few. How do you spell "Fart Wa"
, that was actually funny.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,769,662 times
Quote:
Sorry, I was busy searching for examples of his Muslim bashing. I was surprised to find a few. How do you spell "Fart Wa"
, that was actually funny.
Just watch the movie. You might spend less time doing your "searches".

PS. Funny, it took me 5 seconds to find what is taking you forever to debunk what is a popular myth.

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 03-06-2012 at 11:35 AM..

Old 03-06-2012, 11:41 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,904,691 times
Entertainer

Just like:

Beck
Hannity
Rush
Coulter
Palin

I did not say they are good entertainers, but for some slapstick is still funny and others think the Kardashians are worth a second out of their lives to watch, go figure.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:53 AM

1,187 posts, read 993,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Take away his use of the F word which always elicits a big laugh from his handpicked audience and is guests and it appears to me that he is very much a political pundit. Of course, he hides behind the comedian title when faced with answering my question.

Bill Maher: Who is Saul Alinsky? And Why do Republicans Make Obama into a President He is Not? - YouTube
I think the question answers itself. He's not funny so he can't be a comedian, therefore he MUST be a pundit.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:29 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,660,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't think we are watching the same show. Or your hate for the guy is really getting in the way.

While Maher certainly drops the F-bomb at least once per show, he in no way hits my threshhold for "foul mouthed troll." He insults, but not routinely, nor have have I seen him do it to "entire groups of people." That's not to say he hasn't, but it's not an 60 minute insult fest as you portray. What I see is him picking political topics with his panel and picking them apart. If you are opposed to his view, it might hurt, but the discussions are mostly rather interesting and quite intelligent given his panel members, who will call him out for being ridiculous when required. 99% of the time he has at LEAST one republican on the panel as he likes to have a balanced panel. I enjoy seeing the different opinions and having the republican representation and viewpoint on the show has certainly shown me another side of things.

There have been a few times (and I mean that I can count those times on one hand) where I may have cringed at a remark. I think you are a bit over the top here. I have listened to Rush many a time in the back seat of my in-laws car for an entire summer and have heard more demeaning, trollish behavior than I have for ANY other media talking head, with the possible exception of Howard Stern.
Maher's ridicule and verbal attacks aimed at Christians are legendary, this certainly qualifies as "entire groups of people."

Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Too bad you feel that way
Way to take my comment out of context, by leaving out the question mark at the end. I was asking you, if you thought women were lesser then men.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
And he (Limbaugh) apologized for his poor choice of words. Has Maher ever apologized for going too far? He is a professed athiest who attacks Christianity like it's going out of style. If anyone did that to the Muslim faith they'd do a Swedish cartoonist in a hurry. So, he is selective about who he attacks because he's also a coward with moving standards.
I'm not a religious person, but the mean and insulting things Maher says about Christians is over the top. It's as if he personally despises and hates Christians, and goes out of his way to belittle, offend and insult them. I do not like bullies and bigots, Maher is both, but since he makes people giggle, they give him a break.

Limbaugh had a legitimate point, but he fogged up the issue by making it too personal with Fluke, and ended up turning her into a martyr for the left.

Fluke is one of those freepers, they want whatever they want to be given away free, or subsidized. The woman is 31 years old and is still getting scholarships?

Fluke stated that she received a "public interest" scholarship. What she did not say was that the scholarship was granted by the Women Lawyer's Association of Los Angeles - Oh yeah, and it's conveniently located in Nancy Pelosi's own district.

The WLALA Foundation is proud to have awarded a grant in the amount of $5,000 to fund the summer public interest project of Sandra Fluke. The Grant funded the production of an instructional film on how to apply for a domestic violence restraining order in pro per. The film will be distributed to Los Angeles County courthouse clinics, domestic violence shelters, and legal assistance providers, in addition to being available online.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:14 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,571,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Take away his use of the F word which always elicits a big laugh from his handpicked audience and is guests and it appears to me that he is very much a political pundit. Of course, he hides behind the comedian title when faced with answering my question.

Bill Maher: Who is Saul Alinsky? And Why do Republicans Make Obama into a President He is Not? - YouTube
I hear people laughing in the background is that a recording or are they real useful idiots!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies