Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,100,477 times

Advertisements

Wow, I thought I smelled something. Somebody resurrected this lame thread.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,557,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
you're making the leap that frank did it. i specifically stated that it was very unlikely.

as for getting one over on orly......... that was self-inflicted.

well, not anybody, but basically anything that can be printed can be forged ( with varying degrees of accuracy ). nothing new there. what can't be forged is contemporaneous supporting evidence and official confirmation statements.

actually no, she didn't. orly only had a photo and that's what she submitted in court. ( see previous link )

orly isn't official law enforcement.

as mentioned before, it was supplied to sankey with the claim that it was unclear if it was genuine ( and even an orly supporter pointed out on her website a specific flaw before she submitted it to court ). sorry claud, i know you've been a persistent orly supporter but this is classic orly incompetence.

they have always had a bias against pathetic incompetence.
It wasn't my leap, I read that he bragged about it. I just wasn't sure if it was the Bomford, that was some time ago and is just another little item swept under the rug, erased from history. Although Orly will bear the stigma of that little game she fell victim to.
It's a shame that you obots seem to hold such animosity and hatred toward those seeking the truth about who this man is. You know you are aiding and abetting the fundamental transformation of this country by a con man. Why? What's in it for you? It would be refreshing if you could be honest for just a moment in time and tell us why you hate America.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 AM

26,560 posts, read 14,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Excuse me? I didn't send the birth certificate to Orly. Neal Sankey did. I didn't send the thing to anybody.
i thought it was a pretty bizarre accusation to make. wasn't sure if it was a strange attempt by claud to insult you or if she'd gone head first into her "global domination entity" fantasy and your perceived role in it.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
It wasn't my leap, I read that he bragged about it.
where? link?

Quote:
I just wasn't sure if it was the Bomford, that was some time ago and is just another little item swept under the rug, erased from history.
not for some of the birthers.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/25548480-post71.html

Quote:
Although Orly will bear the stigma of that little game she fell victim to.
and well deserved. that was absolute incompetence on her part.

Quote:
It's a shame that you obots seem to hold such animosity and hatred toward those seeking the truth.....
i like those people, orly ain't one of them.

( and i still await you pointing out anything in any of my posts which is false. if you were truly just seeking the truth that shouldn't be such a difficult task )

Quote:
It would be refreshing if you could be honest for just a moment in time and tell us why you hate America.
don't, love the joint and will work in my small way against those who call for a military coup and/or removal of the POTUS thru the justice system ( both in violation of the constitution of the country i love ).

Old 08-15-2012, 10:03 AM

28,354 posts, read 16,362,118 times
Quote:
...It's a shame that you obots seem to hold such animosity and hatred toward those seeking the truth about who this man is...

You're not seeking the truth, Claud. You're hoping against hope that the truth isn't so. The State of Hawaii is the ultimate authority on whether or not a birth certificate is valid.

They have confirmed that President Obama's BC is authentic. Period. End of story.

Why do you persist in your disbelief? What's in it for you? It would be refreshing if you could be honest for just a moment in time and tell us why YOU hate America.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You're not seeking the truth, Claud. You're hoping against hope that the truth isn't so.
yep. cognitive dissonance, the brains ability to accept that which supports their preconceived belief and reject things that contradict it. we all have it to varying degrees but birthers are an excellent example of it taken to an extreme.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:22 AM

20,893 posts, read 16,067,098 times
Quote:
I do hope you are right, and he will share how he got one over on Orly with us. Goes to show that just about anybody can make up a fake that may look legit on the surface, before being thoroughly examined. She even had the hard copy, as opposed to a picture on a computer monitor.
Actually not true. She never possessed a "hard copy" of anything unless she printed it herself.

Here's the whole story:

The Bomford Hoax was not even meant for Orly at all. It was meant for the first of the fake Birther "image experts" who at the time was going by the pseudonym "Polarik." We later found out who he actually was, and that outing proved he was a liar and a fake. But at the time he was still an anonymous guy on-line who, even though completely incompetent, had developed a large Birther following. The objective was to get a provable fake in his hands and, if he declared it authentic, expose him as the buffoon we knew him to be.

The hoax was designed to be easily debunkable. The certificate was modeled on an Australian birth certificate found on a genealogy website (belonging to a man named David Bomford, hence the nick-name of the hoax). Many of the details were tweaked a tiny bit (such as the first initials of the registrars) while others were left untouched such as the certificate number. The form blank was created on a computer and then printed onto a piece of paper. The details were then typed in using an old manual typewriter and of course signatures were simply added with a fountain pen. A foreign coin was used to fake the seal (A South African one, IIRC), and the document was then folded and refolded countless times in a pattern similar to that seen on the Bomford original. When a typo was discovered later (the word "Maiden" was misspelled), it was covered up with a piece of tobacco when photos were taken.

A single photo was placed on a digital camera memory card, as taken directly from the camera itself... all metadata intact, with no processing by intermediate software. A series of other photographs that could be used to prove it was a hoax were held back. The problem then was... how could it be placed in the hands of "Polarik"; an anonymous blogger who was going through such great pains to keep his real identity a complete secret?

This (by the way) is the point at which I first became aware of the hoax. I had not been involved in conceiving it or creating it, but I fully admit to being a participant from this point on. As an amusing aside, it had by that point also picked up a humorous code name. We called it "The Kraken."

Now, "Polarik" had provided an anonymous affidavit in support of the litigation by the first of the Birther lawyers, Phil Berg... so we knew that if anybody knew how to get in touch with "Polarik" it had to be Berg and his law office. That gave us an avenue to get it to him. Two efforts were initiated. First, Berg's "paralegal" was contacted anonymously with a tale about someone having found an interesting document and who (both conscience stricken and a little afraid) wanted to get into the hands of somebody who could verify it or debunk it. Remember... no claim was ever made that it was authentic. The claim was that we wanted somebody with expertise to look at it and tell us one way or the other. At the same time, "Polarik" was contacted through his blog, told the same story, and asked if he would be able to take a look at it if we got the image to Berg's assistant. He agreed. We decided that it was time to "Release the Kraken."

The digital data card was mailed to somebody who could re-mail it from a post office that might conceivably have been used by somebody in Washington, and then sent to Berg's office. We then sat back and waited with great anticipation for "Polarik's" verdict, which of course we hoped would be an assertion of authenticity that we would then publicly eviscerate.

And then... nothing. Days turned into weeks, and we never heard a peep about from Berg, his assistant, or "Polarik" himself. It had fallen into a complete black hole. For whatever reason, they decided to keep completely secret that the image existed and was in their possession. To this day, none of them have ever acknowledged it... not even to claim they identified it as a fake. We pretty much accepted that the hoax had fizzled and come to nothing.

Now, we would never have anticipated the Birther Wars that were already brewing between Taitz and Berg (or, frankly, between Taitz and every other Birther lawyer in the universe). Remember, this was July of 2009 and Orly was not yet the "Birther Queen." But she was already starting to expand her repertoire with a series of Birther spin-off theories such as those surrounding Obama's Social Security Number, and thus raising her profile significantly. And her primary partner in what was at that time still a fuzzy set of objections was Neal Sankey... an expatriate British cop now private investigator working for Orly.

As the Kraken lay unrequited and unacknowledged, we decided that if "Polarik" wouldn't bite, maybe Sankey would. But since this was pretty much an afterthought, none of the more careful preparations used with "Polarik" were followed. There was no prep work to create a careful back-story, no special mailings from particular post offices, not even a digital data card to make it look like it was right out of the camera. A flash drive with the image was mailed to Sankey by Foggy of The Fogbow, along with a note saying, hey, we don't know if this is real or not, but you're a private investigator, maybe you can figure it out.

We were completely unprepared for what happened next.

Sankey apparently made no effort whatsoever to authenticate the thing, he simply ran with it to Orly. Within days she was on her blog tasking her flying monkeys to do what her talented PI apparently could not; research whether or not a man named "E. F. Lavender was British colonial registrar in Mombasa, Kenya in 1961." That single request on her blog appears to comprise her entire investigation into the authenticity of the image.

We immediately began feeding her hints that it was fake. That very night we posted on her blog:
Quote:
pip says:
August 1, 2009 at 12:16 am

Do you have any other info on this guy.

Is his name Eric or Edward? Have found something relating to an Eric Lavender (Registrar) on a Aussie site.

Was he american. Did he move from Mombassa and go to Australia do you think? Any other info???

Will keep looking…….
But before we could give her any more hints (and we were getting ready to offer her several), and without even trying to follow up on the rather in-your-face lead we had already provided, she filed a Motion in her case Keyes v. Obama introducing the unverified, unauthenticated image as evidence that Obama was born in Kenya.

We were flabbergasted! Understand, we had not yet had the chance to grasp the complete depth of Orly's legal incompetence. No lawyer in his or her right mind would ever have taken an image received anonymously from who knows who and introduced it as evidence in a court of law... without making any effort whatsoever to authenticate the thing. And of course... Orly apparently could not settle for merely introducing it in court. She or Sankey then leaked a copy of the image to the right-wing forum FreeRepublic, where it was being hailed as authentic within four posts. The thread eventually ended up with almost 11,000.

The Kraken had made a splash no one expected or anticipated. We knew not just that we had to kill it, but we had to kill it fast. August 3 we posted online the Google image of an Australian birth certificate belonging to David Jeffrey Bomford, born in 1964, which had been posted in 2006 to a Bomford family history site. It was clearly the template used in creating the Bomford FKBC. One of us was interviewed by Salon the next day to put as fine a point as possible on the fact that the Obama certificate was not authentic. Then we stepped back again to let the obvious sink in.

It did not sink in.

Sometime that day, the genealogy website where the original Bomford Certificate was found crashed because the server could not handle the traffic, so the certificate was taken down. Birthers of course began to then insist that the original was the fake, and the fake was the authentic original... this in spite of the fact that the real David Bomford was found and interviewed on Australian news and verified that the original was his. Orly not only refused to acknowledge the fake, she gave interviews declaring her belief that it was real, and kept prodding the court to accept it as evidence.

We then tried to put a stake though the Kraken's heart with the series of photos taken to prove the forgery. One showed the certificate along with the tools used to make the forgery; an old typewriter, the foreign coin, the paper... all on the same unfakeable background used in the Orly image. Another showed most of the same with a current USA Today newspaper. The others showed the certificate crumpled into a ball, and then tattered and destroyed with the handwritten addition "You've Been Punked."

On August 20, more than two weeks after it had proven fake, Taitz filed a First Amended Motion for Issuance of Letters Rogatory and refiled the hoax certificate... something for which the court eventually took her to great task. As far as I know, to this day she has never admitted it was a hoax.

Over a year later, the actual creator of the Kraken joined the FreeRepublic forum and offered to answer any questions the Freepers had regarding they hoax. They declared him a fake, and refused to believe anything he had to say and then banned him.

Believe it or not, just last week (more than three years after the hoax was revealed) a Birther added this comment to the almost 11,000 post FreeRepublic thread:

Quote:
To: rxsid

It is a govt. birth registration. Was NEVER proven to be false. AFAIK, its still good to go!
thanks rxsid

10,838 posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2012 7:50:50 PM by urtax$@work (The only kind of memorial is a Burning memorial !)
You just can't make this stuff up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper
Some could call that impeding an investigation, forgery or a whole host of crimes that aren't likely to be pursued. The scales of justice are lopsided these days.
Only an idiot still butt-hurt after three years believes any of those things.

Last edited by HistorianDude; 08-15-2012 at 10:59 AM..

Old 08-15-2012, 10:40 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,557,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
where? link?

not for some of the birthers.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/25548480-post71.html

and well deserved. that was absolute incompetence on her part.

i like those people, orly ain't one of them.

( and i still await you pointing out anything in any of my posts which is false. if you were truly just seeking the truth that shouldn't be such a difficult task )

don't, love the joint and will work in my small way against those who call for a military coup and/or removal of the POTUS thru the justice system ( both in violation of the constitution of the country i love ).
You know very well the link is long gone. You are right in that it was a photo but it didn't come from Neil, it came from an obot to discredit the birthers. If this Obot had any integrity he would admit to this prank, afterall he thinks he's a genius for pulling it off. I think he's a criminal.

The "Bomford" Fake Kenya Birth Certificate
In early 2009, an unnamed Obot genius created the "Bomford" FKBC. It became known as the "Bomford" because the original birth certificate, that was used as the "template" for creating it, was found on a family genealogy website in Australia. It was a birth certificate dated 1964, belonging to a gentleman named David Jeffrey Bomford. Except he wasn't born in Kenya. He was born in South Australia. The original birth certificate is shown below, and the FKBC is shown on the home page of this website.
One important thing to remember about the Bomford: The document itself never left the home of the genius who created it. The only thing anybody else in the world saw was just a photograph of the document (and the subsequent photos showing that it was destroyed by its creator).
In July, 2009, after an unsuccessful attempt to get Phil Berg to fall for it, the photograph of the Bomford FKBC was placed on a USB flash drive, and mailed to Neil Sankey, the "private investigator" for Orly Taitz. It was mailed from the ZIP Code in Washington, D.C. where the Kenyan embassy is, but there was nothing else on the flash drive except the photograph itself. No document was included to verify its authenticity. No individual was identified as the source of the photograph. Most important at all, the so-called "private investigator," Neil Sankey, apparently made no attempt whatever to determine whether it was authentic or not. He must have simply turned it over to Orly Taitz, because she immediately filed it as an exhibit to a legal motion in federal court, in the case titled Barnett v. Obama, in the Central District of California, before Judge David O. Carter.
The Fogbow: Birthers Debunked :: The FKBCs

Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 AM

20,893 posts, read 16,067,098 times
Quote:
You know very well the link is long gone. You are right in that it was a photo but it didn't come from Neil, it came from an obot to discredit the birthers. If this Obot had any integrity he would admit to this prank, afterall he thinks he's a genius for pulling it off. I think he's a criminal.
LOL.... the Bomford Hoax is not a criminal act. In fact, political hoaxes of this sort are Constitutionally protected free speech.

You remember the Constitution, don't you?

Old 08-15-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
You know very well the link is long gone.
no, i didn't. but fortunately historiandude was nice enough to go thru the entire timeline of the "bomford kraken". so as we see, he wasn't responsible for it's creation but did have a hand in it's distribution.

Quote:
....it came from an obot to discredit the birthers.
yep. worked.

Quote:
I think he's a criminal.
what crime? as HD states they repeatedly said that the authenticity was in question. they specifically wanted the birthers to check the validity. even after it was clearly admitted to be a hoax orly still submitted it to court. who's fault is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies