Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:36 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Trust me. Social issues are lifeline for certain kind of politics. As long as there is a substantial part of populace stupid enough to get emotionally worked up on social/religious issues, politicians will gladly sell it to them.
This is true. The problem facing the GOP today is that the dupes finally figured out they were being used every election cycle; that Republicans never had any intention of following through on any of these wedge issues. And now the inmates have stormed the asylum and the GOP can't get them back into their straight-jackets. Good times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 11:44 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You're the one who brought up a "never-ending Woodstock orgy".
Please cut it with the "you're not supposed to notice my tramp stamp and by the way don't you dare judge me" routine.

Quote:
But it ceases being a free country when people like you start dictating who can have sex, when they can have it, and what they've got to do with their body a day, week, or month after having sex.
Only one little problem with that: sex makes babies. Even in Memphis. The whole agenda of the Left is getting rid of this little nuisance. Yes, we noticed.

Quote:
BTW, nice avoidance of the issue about medically needed abortions, or in cases of rape and incest.
There are no "medically needed abortions". Sometimes, very rarely, a pregnancy does end in tragedy, but avoiding that tragedy doesn't justify taking a human life.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
First, WE don't abort anything, its an individual choice. No federal money can go for abortions, its against the law. Now if someone is on food stamps, then buys an abortion, does that mean the federal government bought them an abortion? No, it means they bought them food stamps, so don't even try and bring up planned parenthood, because they spend no public money on abortions.

Secondly, What happened to the Jews was outright torture of a living, breathing human being. Most abortions are conducted before there is any brain activity and the fetus isn't a human, it could be, if left alone, but its still not a human. Do states count miscarriages as death rates? Nope, and you sure as hell couldn't claim them on your taxes.

Thirdly, its not the "social issues" thats the problem, its people that wanted to talk about outlawing contraception, and one of the Republican front runners admits he'd like to rethink the issue of contraception being legal.

Fourthly, I find it fascinating that people, such as yourself, seem to care so much about life before the child is born, but seem to not give a damn about them after they exit the vagina.

If you don't want an abortion, don't get one. There are medical reasons, rape, incest, and other decent reasons for people to get an abortion, IMO. I would not want to abort, or see one of my children aborted if healthy. If her life is in danger though, its her call, none of my business. If that child is going to be born without a skull, or suffer horrific pain for its short life, then I would rather see it aborted then to make it suffer.

So to you, and all of the other social NAZI's, stay the hell out of everyone elses business. I think if you turned your eyes around, and focused on your own life, you probably wouldn't find it so rosey as to be able to have the time to tell everyone else what they can and can't do.

Sincerely,

An American citizen tired of having his government dictate every damned thing everyone can do.

Memphis, as someone who is Christian, I couldn't agree with you more. But wanted to add on a few things if I may. You may agree or disagree, and that's fine;

I'm not sure how I really feel about abortion having not been faced with the situation, 1. because I'm a man, and 2. never had to face it with a female counter part or my wife, with whom I've been married to for almost 12 years....... but until you walk a mile in someone elses shoes, you just don't know.

As far as contraception goes. It's only smart that if you're going to have sex, USE PRECAUTION! If I wanted to have sex, hmmm guess what I took the precaution, and went to the drug store. Just don't expect me to pay for someone elses use of contraception. Pay for it yourself, or don't have sex. Again, it's called being smart, and not putting yourself or a potential child into a position where you can't properly care for it.

Finally it's not up to me, or the government what a consenting or 2 consenting adults do with their bodies. That is between them and the man upstairs.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
We abort 1.2 million babies every year in this country. And you want to quibble over tax cuts?
How about you "pro-lifers" stop bombing full-grown brown people the world over in the name of "democracy" first, and then maybe we can talk?

"Conservative" -> wants to protect life in the womb, no issues dropping drones on people's heads.

"Liberal" -> wants to stop drone strikes abroad, no issues aborting fetuses.

*facepalm*

Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Memphis, as someone who is Christian, I couldn't agree with you more. But wanted to add on a few things if I may. You may agree or disagree, and that's fine;

I'm not sure how I really feel about abortion having not been faced with the situation, 1. because I'm a man, and 2. never had to face it with a female counter part or my wife, with whom I've been married to for almost 12 years....... but until you walk a mile in someone elses shoes, you just don't know.

As far as contraception goes. It's only smart that if you're going to have sex, USE PRECAUTION! If I wanted to have sex, hmmm guess what I took the precaution, and went to the drug store. Just don't expect me to pay for someone elses use of contraception. Pay for it yourself, or don't have sex. Again, it's called being smart, and not putting yourself or a potential child into a position where you can't properly care for it.

Finally it's not up to me, or the government what a consenting or 2 consenting adults do with their bodies. That is between them and the man upstairs.

I understand your first point. I to am a male of the species, and as such I have no right or say over what a woman does with her body, any woman. Now, I do have my personal opinion that, having an abortion simply because "you don't want the child" is less then moral or something that should be looked upon in a favorable light. But that is my opinion, and I would not take that right away from another. I'll worry about my house.

As far as contraception, your view point is in a binary world. My one year old, was conceived using birth control. My sisters child, now 4, was conceived while she had an IUD, and her husband used a condom. The condom, new from the store, broke. They thought "no big deal, you're on the IUD", which is 99.99999% effective. Unfortunately my sister is "fertile Mertile", and got pregnant anyway.

Now my sister, and myself, both have our children. That was our choice. But what do we do about someone who chooses to have an abortion under those circumstances? You planned, took all the precautions, did everything you were supposed to do, but oops, one slipped past the goaly.

There is a reason why contraception doesn't say "100% effective", because none is.

Now, as far as paying for that contraception, or paying for an abortion, those are different matters I suppose. No one pays for abortions with public money, its illegal. So that is null and void.

Contraception isn't being mandated to be paid for by the federal government. What the federal government is saying is that, if you buy insurance, that insurance must provide you with contraception. Its kind of like them mandating cars have seat belts. Not to mention the fact that there are a plethora of illnesses that women face where they have to take birth control, not for the point of getting pregnant, but because it treats their health condition.

But hey, I respect a healthy debate, and your viewpoint is one with a healthy debate. Thats the way we get to the right answer, by using logic, and debate. Simply telling people "Don't have sex", isn't going to help things.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:02 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Only one little problem with that: sex makes babies.
Really? But then, may be you're better off being scared of sex.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
The radical Left is pushing these issues hard.
I sense you haven't been paying attention ... to the GOP primary campaign, the candidate speeches, the debates. For if you have been you would have understood that it's the GOP candidates who are raising the social issues, pushing the issues ... not the President or Democratic Party. The President and the Democratic Party have responded to the various social issue proclamations/program changes now promoted by the GOP. But that's a far cry from "The radical Left pushing these issues hard." Next time, pay attention. ;-)

Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
I understand your first point. I to am a male of the species, and as such I have no right or say over what a woman does with her body, any woman. Now, I do have my personal opinion that, having an abortion simply because "you don't want the child" is less then moral or something that should be looked upon in a favorable light. But that is my opinion, and I would not take that right away from another. I'll worry about my house.

As far as contraception, your view point is in a binary world. My one year old, was conceived using birth control. My sisters child, now 4, was conceived while she had an IUD, and her husband used a condom. The condom, new from the store, broke. They thought "no big deal, you're on the IUD", which is 99.99999% effective. Unfortunately my sister is "fertile Mertile", and got pregnant anyway.

Now my sister, and myself, both have our children. That was our choice. But what do we do about someone who chooses to have an abortion under those circumstances? You planned, took all the precautions, did everything you were supposed to do, but oops, one slipped past the goaly.

There is a reason why contraception doesn't say "100% effective", because none is.

Now, as far as paying for that contraception, or paying for an abortion, those are different matters I suppose. No one pays for abortions with public money, its illegal. So that is null and void.

Contraception isn't being mandated to be paid for by the federal government. What the federal government is saying is that, if you buy insurance, that insurance must provide you with contraception. Its kind of like them mandating cars have seat belts. Not to mention the fact that there are a plethora of illnesses that women face where they have to take birth control, not for the point of getting pregnant, but because it treats their health condition.

But hey, I respect a healthy debate, and your viewpoint is one with a healthy debate. Thats the way we get to the right answer, by using logic, and debate. Simply telling people "Don't have sex", isn't going to help things.

For the most part you and I are on the same page. Contraception isn't the end all be all, but like I said if you're going to engage in sex (we all have) then take the precautions necessary.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:16 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
As a country we do pretty well at treating humans as expendable. From germ warfare against Native Americans through shot and shell against ourselves through nuclear annihilation of a couple of cities all the way through murder of a personal enemy we are very good at killing. The Republicans are not talking about contraception or abortion they are talking about returning half of our citizens to slavery. The social issue is FREEDOM not sex.

The Liberals and Democrats have the proper side on this issue.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Most abortions are conducted before there is any brain activity and the fetus isn't a human, it could be, if left alone, but its still not a human.
If it's not human, what is it? Goat? Dog? Cow?

[quoteDo states count miscarriages as death rates? Nope, and you sure as hell couldn't claim them on your taxes.[/quote]

Maybe not, but murder a pregnant woman in most states and see if you aren't charge with two killings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies