Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:07 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,096,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
While I respect her for saving her kids, any self respecting mother or parent would do the same. That doesn't make her a hero, IMO.
This woman is a HERO. Plain and simple.

If it makes you feel better about yourself by marginalizing this amazing woman's deed, I feel bad about your state of existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 12:10 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,342,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Bet her kids feel different.
I'm sure they do, most kids think their parents are already super heros. My son thinks I'm super man. It doesn't mean I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
This woman is a HERO. Plain and simple.

If it makes you feel better about yourself by marginalizing this amazing woman's deed, I feel bad about your state of existence.
I'm not trying to mitigate what she did, I think she is an awesome parent, that would do what we would expect any parent to do. But caring for your kids, even in extraordinary circumstances, does not make one a hero.

What parent wouldn't throw their bodies over their children to protect them? Surely not a parent to respect. I respect what she did, but in my opinion, to call her a "hero" is a step to far.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:10 PM

428 posts, read 485,842 times
This mom is what I call an "accidental hero." The situation made her into a hero. It's still an amazing story, and I wish that mom the best. Life threw her a curve ball, but at least her goal of saving her kids was accomplished.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,107,068 times
She's very brave and worthy of being hailed as a hero.

There's people out there who have been called a hero that have done far less.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,213,735 times
Quote:
While I respect her for saving her kids, any self respecting mother or parent would do the same. That doesn't make her a hero, IMO.
Most people would define heroism as showing bravery and self sacrifice during adversity. I think this situation falls under that category. Not sure what your definition of hero is. Hero sandwhich?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Most people would define heroism as showing bravery and self sacrifice during adversity. I think this situation falls under that category. Not sure what your definition of hero is. Hero sandwhich?
Soldiers who die in combat, men and women who run into fires to save strangers, policemen who run into a school where kids, not theirs, are being shot, People on an airplane that was hijacked, knowing it was going to kill thousands more, fighting the terrorists knowing that their lives were going to matter.

Those are heroes, in my opinion.

A mother saving her kids, not quite the same level.

Again, this is just my opinion. Y'all feel free to call her what you'd like.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Soldiers who die in combat, men and women who run into fires to save strangers, policemen who run into a school where kids, not theirs, are being shot, People on an airplane that was hijacked, knowing it was going to kill thousands more, fighting the terrorists knowing that their lives were going to matter.

Those are heroes, in my opinion.

A mother saving her kids, not quite the same level.

Again, this is just my opinion. Y'all feel free to call her what you'd like.
So in your opinion, whether you know the person you are saving matters as much or more than bravery or self sacrifice

Old 03-06-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
So in your opinion, whether you know the person you are saving matters as much or more than bravery or self sacrifice
"knowing" is debatable. Soldiers know other soldiers, etc. But these were her kids, her kids. In my opinion, saving your kids does not make one a hero, it makes you a parent.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,500,332 times
Quote:
"knowing" is debatable. Soldiers know other soldiers, etc. But these were her kids, her kids. In my opinion, saving your kids does not make one a hero, it makes you a parent.
There's always some pompous git who likes to **** on the actions of others. She's a hero, suck it up and move on.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
But you said helping strangers would make her a hero. What if she rescued her mother, would that make her a hero?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies