U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 AM

13,256 posts, read 10,624,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Employers know, that when times are tight, you keep your experienced and skilled workers.

There are no resources to train someone they can take advantage of, to replace the person training them, at a much lower wage.

When things are booming, the risk is nullified.
Politics aside, this is why I get frustrated when some Americans criticize the student protesters who have been protesting tuition hikes. Students are going to be left with debt for over a decade if they're paying their own tuition these days.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 AM

11,127 posts, read 8,596,041 times
>Record high unemployment, record high gas prices, record level poverty, $16 Trillion in debt and growing fast.......... <

PLENTY of blame in both parties for the unemployment which was rocketing upward when Obama started. The list of guilty people in both parties is very very long.
Gas prices were in a slump when Obama started and in fact are still well below their peak Summer 2008.
The poverty is a byproduct of the housing crisis again caused by both parties.
The debt is partly a byproduct of the housing crisis (see above) and both parties deserve discredit for their parts.

>All day long, I've tuned in to Sirius Left, only to hear hours of Rush bashing.<
/ start hyper sarcasm
REALLY!?!?!? YA THINK!?!?!? Next thing you tell me if I turn into Rush I would hear something bashing Obama. IM SHOCKED I TELL YOU!!!!
/ end hyper sarcasm

edit college tuition above. That market is so oversaturated, over priced...
We NEED to institute tracking, vocational school etc. Not everyone gets to be a rocket scientist. We need to tell Upper Middle Class parents their IQ100 kid aint going to college. We then need to reinstitute tracking, vocational training at age 16, etc etc. We need a place for our IQ 85-IQ105 kids to go and get trained in something that will keep them employed at some place other than the local big box store at minimum wage.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 AM

19,895 posts, read 16,228,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
The MSM/Left/dems/obama think "Rush" and "contraception" will distract enough that people will forget the state of the economy.

Don't worry, the REAL issues will be coming like a freight train down the tracks.
How can he! cannot fake an economy such as this one? can we!

I have many friends in real estate, and lending. The reality is here, and we can all see it. Without a stable housing market, do not expect this economy to get any better.

Why we have such a over abundance of foreclsosures, short sales, and repos on the market, that have not even made a dent. Thousands upon thousands and new ones added daily.

The bank is sitting on so many new ones to be released, yet what happens to the MANY bank owned homes on the market, not selling.

Now we add a new surplus of foreclsoures, we are in this mess for a while people. Everyone's home values will dwindle, until the surplus of already banked own properties begin to deplete.
Home values across the Country are going down and will not return, until we have a strong housing market, which will not be here for quite a while.

Really think we have a good economy, with a housing market as the one we have, then you guys know nothing about a strong housing market.

Which spurs things along. It is not happening.

And why, because i have learned since OBAMA became our CHANGE PRESIDENT, many many thousands of hard working Americans began to start losing their jobs, one, by one, by one, by one. Thruout the Country.

There is your change, you lose your job you had forever, you lose your home also. Go head fool yourselves all you want, the writing is already on the wall.
This ain't something Obama can fake. This negative housing market which i am told by some, is lasting way too long.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 AM

818 posts, read 1,563,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
But there's no bias, is there?

All day long, I've tuned in to Sirius Left, only to hear hours of Rush bashing.
I'm not a fan of Rush, but yesterday I noticed that the LA times has about 7 different articles on Limbaugh running right now! Talk about an obsession

Old 03-07-2012, 11:30 AM

9,626 posts, read 10,097,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
edit college tuition above. That market is so oversaturated, over priced...We NEED to institute tracking, vocational school etc. Not everyone gets to be a rocket scientist. We need to tell Upper Middle Class parents their IQ100 kid aint going to college. We then need to reinstitute tracking, vocational training at age 16, etc etc. We need a place for our IQ 85-IQ105 kids to go and get trained in something that will keep them employed at some place other than the local big box store at minimum wage.
Well... I mean... who would not agree with this. BUT... Otto... you have to know that people with post graduate degrees are dyeing their hair and scrubbing their resumes of start dates to compete for entry level jobs. The corporations have their pick. The kids don't have a chance. Americans young, old and yours truly are competing with Central Americans, South Asians, East Asians and Europeans. These people did not pay for their educations. They start their careers with zero debt. American entry level salaries are less now than 30 years ago. Does that make sense? What now costs less than 30 years ago??? The tail does not wag the dog. Everyone talks about education, education, education as if it answers some kind of question. Opportunity is the answer. Education is the question, not the answer.

H

Old 03-07-2012, 11:34 AM

20,950 posts, read 16,636,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
I'm not a fan of Rush, but yesterday I noticed that the LA times has about 7 different articles on Limbaugh running right now! Talk about an obsession
I understand that when you are #!, you're a target.

But this is ridiculous.

EVERY single leftie talk show is STILL talking about Rush!

They're whistling past the graveyard.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:46 AM

13,256 posts, read 10,624,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Well... I mean... who would not agree with this. BUT... Otto... you have to know that people with post graduate degrees are dyeing their hair and scrubbing their resumes of start dates to compete for entry level jobs. The corporations have their pick. The kids don't have a chance. Americans young, old and yours truly are competing with Central Americans, South Asians, East Asians and Europeans. These people did not pay for their educations. They start their careers with zero debt. American entry level salaries are less now than 30 years ago. Does that make sense? What now costs less than 30 years ago??? The tail does not wag the dog. Everyone talks about education, education, education as if it answers some kind of question. Opportunity is the answer. Education is the question, not the answer.

H
Is that really true? If so I'm pretty taken back.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:54 AM

9,626 posts, read 10,097,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
And why, because i have learned since OBAMA became our CHANGE PRESIDENT, many many thousands of hard working Americans began to start losing their jobs, one, by one, by one, by one. Thruout the Country.

There is your change, you lose your job you had forever, you lose your home also. Go head fool yourselves all you want, the writing is already on the wall.
This ain't something Obama can fake. This negative housing market which i am told by some, is lasting way too long.
Right. Things were just fine until Obama took office. Then, one by one people began to lose their jobs. Forever. I'd like to suggest that you are wrong on this. Obama is far from perfect, but, he is not the embodiment of economic destruction that you are portraying. Maybe I should be, but I am not afraid to look the corporate Devil in the eye and call him by name. Obama was/is on your side but his skin is dark, his ancestry mixed so you shun his message. The OWS youth are on your side but their youthful idealism irritates and their lack of social and physical hygiene offends... ... that leaves you where? Nowhere.

Tell the truth, many of you Obama haters also can't stand Romney, Newt or Rick. Outliers like Rand (both of them) are more to your taste. I've got a heads up: the Cro-Magnon and the Neanderthal died out because they were individualist cultures. This was fine when the world was all a tropical paradise but when the Ice Age came it took teamwork to survive against Mother Nature. Homo sapiens is by nature a team player. Humanity faces a common enemy. It is not Obama, Democrats or Liberals. You spent a lot of time and energy making a baseless case against Obama. The holes in it are numerous. Take a closer look.

H

Old 03-07-2012, 12:57 PM

11,127 posts, read 8,596,041 times
>Is that really true? If so I'm pretty taken back.<

Im seeing data all over the place in a quick Google search. Back in the mid to late 80s a graduate typically got an offer of $25Kish. That I remember first hand. but that is only 25ish years ago.

Data I see says now a business degree is starting around 40Kish now yet I saw in NYT the average is only 30K but not broken down.

Taking the 30K number as truth means inflation certainly means it is MUCH less. Even the 40K number comes up short. as 25K should be 52K to be even according to the inflation calculator I just used.

We also need to take a harder look at BA degrees. Yes studying Russian, or Central American History has a place. Lets face it tho. There is a VERY limited demand for BA degrees in most cases. Still want a BA degree with little future? Sorry no federal backing for you.

Got what it takes to Graduate in engineering, most business, Registed Nurse, etc AND THE TESTED BRAINS TO FINISH, Like I said we need to realign our education system to reality. That means Not everyone gets to be a rocket scientist and we are not going to subsidize a very low success rate 4 year degree. This means MUCH more vocational and 2 year degrees.

Johnny IQ100 may not get to waste 2 years and 60K figuring out he cant make it through a 4 year degree; but we just might do well making him a plumber... electrician... Millwright... Pipe Fitter... Welder... truck driver...

There is no glam in being a truck driver but he is downright rich compared to the guy folding boxes at $7.25 at some distribution center.

Of course both sides are going to attack me on this. The righties could care less about Johnny IQ100, **** Johnny, let him live in a refrigerator box but only after they collect the ground rent on the box. The lefties will call me heartless and think we should subisidize everything no matter how low the success rate.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,970,805 times
We need a rate this post negatively button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies