U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 01:05 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,289,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The economy has also been very rough for new graduates entering the workforce. Senior Americans are holding to their jobs and working longer which means less mobility and less entry level opportunities for those just starting out.

We're going to need big changes if we want to climb out of this hole we dug ourselves.
Agreed. Countless students have wasted $50,000 in debt on a college education only to find themselves moving back home and waiting tables. I don't understand why neither party wants to talk about this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 01:07 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,040,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Agreed. Countless students have wasted $50,000 in debt on a college education only to find themselves moving back home and waiting tables. I don't understand why neither party wants to talk about this.

Whats there to talk about?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:07 PM

17,031 posts, read 27,351,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
But there's no bias, is there?

All day long, I've tuned in to Sirius Left, only to hear hours of Rush bashing.
Well we better re-elect Obammeee! Then we can double those numbers!

Old 03-07-2012, 01:12 PM

17,031 posts, read 27,351,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Stupid people make stupid choices. If you go into debt over school, make sure your degree is in something that pays enough to pay it back. Pretty simple.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Stupid people make stupid choices. If you go into debt over school, make sure your degree is in something that pays enough to pay it back. Pretty simple.

Exactly, $50 k in debt for an education isnt that big of a deal. $2k a yr during your carreer. One with a real education will make quite a bit more then $2k a yr over someone with no education.

Cost of doing business

Old 03-07-2012, 01:16 PM

2,047 posts, read 1,381,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
But there's no bias, is there?

All day long, I've tuned in to Sirius Left, only to hear hours of Rush bashing.
maybe they're in love with Rush!!

Old 03-07-2012, 01:33 PM

9,626 posts, read 10,093,093 times
50K? My cousins degree was every penny of $125K and that was just tuition. State school, nothing fancy. She graduated around 2009. Yes, we should all have astro-physics degree's. I'll bet neither Oildog or Waterboy have significant college debt. Not because they are geniuses but simply because tuition inflation was not a factor when they went to school. Instead of being grateful they turn smug and uncharitable towards the young people of today. We think we want to live in a country without musicians, artists, writers, jugglers, mime's or masseur's. Just like we think we want to live in a country without health insurance, pensions, Social Security, Medicare or legal abortions. Some of us are going to be in deep tofu if the universe ever calls their bluff.

H

Old 03-07-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
50K? My cousins degree was every penny of $125K and that was just tuition. State school, nothing fancy. She graduated around 2009. Yes, we should all have astro-physics degree's. I'll bet neither Oildog or Waterboy have significant college debt. Not because they are geniuses but simply because tuition inflation was not a factor when they went to school. Instead of being grateful they turn smug and uncharitable towards the young people of today. We think we want to live in a country without musicians, artists, writers, jugglers, mime's or masseur's. Just like we think we want to live in a country without health insurance, pensions, Social Security, Medicare or legal abortions. Some of us are going to be in deep tofu if the universe ever calls their bluff.

H

So are you saying with her education its impossible for her to make $5k more a yr for 25 yrs then she would make without a degree? Sorry , but if she went to school for art , thats her problem , not mine. A smart person dosnt spend $100,000 to learn a hobby.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:50 PM

48,509 posts, read 85,500,028 times
Well I guess one way to look aqt it is that during the great depression people went to movie threaters to get away fro thinking about it.Now days its seem that entertainemtnhas changes to avoid thinking about things.But then has of now we are still spending o the credit card and never have paid the bill. That pain is coming tho.I guess its like the Greeks we see roiting when the cuts not been implemented yet;what will hapen once they actually start living under them ;one has to wander.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 AM

9,626 posts, read 10,093,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
So are you saying with her education its impossible for her to make $5k more a yr for 25 yrs then she would make without a degree? Sorry , but if she went to school for art , thats her problem , not mine. A smart person dosnt spend $100,000 to learn a hobby.
With her education is should be very possible for her to make 5K/yr more than otherwise. Economic realities say that that is not true, however. I didn't say she majored in art. I didn't say what her major was. It is not in art. It is in a respected Humanity. That isn't the point, maybe it is... is a museum curator pursuing a hobby? An architect? Mankind has been pretty good at domesticating animals, cultiavting wheat, rice and other grains, metalworking and other basics of society. Civilization is a higher bar. Civilized humans have the Arts and Humanities. Societies aspire to civilization or they remain mired in savagery. Even on Deadwood there are barroom piano players and card sharps. Not everyone is (can be) a blacksmith or a ranch hand. A generation ago it wouldn't be necessary to pay to be educated as an artist or musician. In any case, a potential employer of an artist or musician wouldn't be much impressed by a diploma from some Conservatory they never heard of. "Can you play", is what they would want to know.

These days an aspiring musician or artist needs a higher education degree to be competitive. Free tuition ended the year before I graduated high school. 1977. I was already a professional musician and paid for my tuition myself because my parents wouldn't. I dropped out because I wasn't learning how to be a better musician and the tuition was increasing $600 every semester. My day job was in IT. I got paid to learn (and forget) more about computer hardware than any kid with a current four year degree in computer science will ever learn. So, things had already turned a dark corner in the 70's. Its worse now. In less than 20 years the Bachelor of Arts (or Science) in Music Performance (or Education) that was very possibly free, now costs anywhere from $50K to $100K and beyond. Even so, it's beyond insensitive to look down on someone for their career choice. Mostly the kids aren't listening anyway. They still major in Art History or English or Urban Studies. It really isn't what a kid majors in that's important... how smart they are is.

Someone intelligent will succeed in spite of their major, not because of it. That is the real problem in America. There just aren't that many smart Americans running around. Intelligence is ridiculed, being popular is worshipped. Mediocrity is the norm. An immature world thought America was cool, just like an immature woman from the upper classes thinks Fonzi is cool. Then she grows up and marries a doctor. The world is growing up and distancing itself from America. America's billionaires don't care. I do. You should. Everyone reading this should.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies