U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-08-2012, 04:46 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,001,876 times
Default Help me to understand Obamacare?

I haven't visited a politics forum in a long time. But, I got an email this morning talking about how Obamacare is going to cause our elderly to have less medical care now and in the near future.

I couldn't even figure out if the things mentioned in the email are true.
Sadly I am not as politically informed as I should be. Most of the people I know have strong opinions, but they can never really give me the sources of their information which help them to form their opinions.

I am hoping that you all in this forum are more informed and can give me some real answers about the pro's and con's of Obamacare.

Also, is there anyone who thinks Obama has done a good job? Most people I talk to don't seem to think so.

Feel free to dumb this down for me as long as it isn't to the point of being insulting. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 05:17 AM

14,023 posts, read 9,533,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
I haven't visited a politics forum in a long time. But, I got an email this morning talking about how Obamacare is going to cause our elderly to have less medical care now and in the near future.

Sadly I am not as politically informed as I should be. Most of the people I know have strong opinions, but they can never really give me the sources of their information which help them to form their opinions.

I am hoping that you all in this forum are more informed and can give me some real answers about the pro's and con's of Obamacare.

Also, is there anyone who thinks Obama has done a good job? Most people I talk to don't seem to think so.

Feel free to dumb this down for me as long as it isn't to the point of being insulting. Thanks.
Never, EVER accept something you get in an e-mail as true, especially as the election draws closer and ESPECIALLY if it concerns Barack Obama. The net was loaded with lies during his first campaign and they resurfaced again in 2010. Now that another election is coming up, they're back.

In '08, I tried to track some of them back to their source and found that the ones I could trace ended up at a proxy server in Scottsdale, AZ most of the time. That tells me they were deliberate and the "owners" deliberately hidden. Don't fall for another orchestrated campaign of lies, half-truths and innuendo.

Before you believe anything, check out the "facts" here:

snopes.com: Urban Legends Reference Pages

TruthOrFiction.com-Is that forwarded email Truth or Fiction? Research into stories, scams, hoaxes, myths, and urban legends on the Internet

Both do a credible job of finding the truth. In fact, they often agree. Some will come along and tell you that Snopes is left-leaning, but if they do, just remember that Truthorfiction is known as right-leaning.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:23 AM

20,267 posts, read 7,122,968 times
Quote:

It's now called Obamneycare. Embraced by Obama and Romney. If you are actually interested, ...

The Health Care Law & You | HealthCare.gov

Old 03-08-2012, 02:28 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,001,876 times
Thank you.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:02 PM

17,259 posts, read 5,233,077 times
If you like your healthcare planm, you can keep your healthcare plan."

I'll believe THAT one when I see it.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:09 PM

29,422 posts, read 8,047,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Never, EVER accept something you get in an e-mail as true, especially as the election draws closer and ESPECIALLY if it concerns Barack Obama. The net was loaded with lies during his first campaign and they resurfaced again in 2010. Now that another election is coming up, they're back.

In '08, I tried to track some of them back to their source and found that the ones I could trace ended up at a proxy server in Scottsdale, AZ most of the time. That tells me they were deliberate and the "owners" deliberately hidden. Don't fall for another orchestrated campaign of lies, half-truths and innuendo.

Before you believe anything, check out the "facts" here:

snopes.com: Urban Legends Reference Pages

TruthOrFiction.com-Is that forwarded email Truth or Fiction? Research into stories, scams, hoaxes, myths, and urban legends on the Internet

Both do a credible job of finding the truth. In fact, they often agree. Some will come along and tell you that Snopes is left-leaning, but if they do, just remember that Truthorfiction is known as right-leaning.
You say to trust nobody then throw up a couple links off the web as if they are the end all. Good luck with that. LOL

Old 03-08-2012, 07:14 PM

14,371 posts, read 11,946,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
It's now called Obamneycare. Embraced by Obama and Romney. If you are actually interested, ...

The Health Care Law & You | HealthCare.gov
I've studied this website. Keep in mind that many of the things mentioned in it are based on the insurance companies somehow being brought to heel on costs and conditions -- an extremely unlikely prospect, seeing as how OBAMA LET THEM LARGELY WRITE THE BILL THAT WAS PASSED.

There is also considerable wishful thinking ("...savings in efficiency and waste elimination") and some very squishy rationalizing cloaked in both white and technicolored lies. After all, this is a website publicizing the creation of yet another federal agency whose goal is hazily defined and whose methodology involves more than a little smoke and mirrors, while failing to address the real problem. Though providing mucho employment for a whole lot of bureaucrats and political appointees. In fact, it reminds me a great deal of the TSA. You know: the people who enjoy permanent employment and a hefty pension plan by searching old ladies in wheelchairs and watching X-rays of our jockey shorts.

There will never be meaningful healthcare reform in this country until we take the profit out of rationing healthcare and deny insurance companies the power to cherry-pick who will be covered.

It is 2012. This is a nation with a multi-trillion-dollar GDP. Decent healthcare and concomitant freedom from the fear of early death and/or bankruptcy, is not a product to be bought and sold, any more than is freedom of speech or religion.

Take the Profit out of Health Care.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 PM

41,695 posts, read 45,027,050 times
It depedns on where you get your health insurance really. privte employer is different than those who will buy from polls. thsoe are setup by states and real not much known. Then their are those who will be force into medicad because of income. But if your employer supplies like they are your best bet as to how its going to effect you.If buying from state pool then best watch what your state is doig as they will be the oens settig it up there.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:26 PM

10,588 posts, read 9,197,478 times
Quote:

When they claim that the elderly will receive less care, they're usually talking about less funding for Medicare Advantage plans. As an agent that has sold Med Advantage plans for a long time, I agree that it is indeed the case. Too much of the Med Advantage dollar is sucked up the administration (CEOs, worhtless mid management). the MAs were overcompensated during the Bush years. The reality is that gov't cannot/should not support the bloat of these plans.

Last edited by wehotex; 03-08-2012 at 07:36 PM..

Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 PM

3,983 posts, read 1,592,282 times
Quote:

One feature of Obamacare that is up and running now has turned out to be a God-send to my son. It's called Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan- PCIP, and provides comprehensive, affordable health insurance for anyone who has been turned down by an insurance company due to a pre-existing condition.

This service is administered by the states, with federal money. Check on-line where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies