Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When SHOULD America pull her troops out of Iraq? Please post some comments...
Pull Them Out Immediately 28 50.91%
When Our Military Decides. 11 20.00%
When Our President Decides. 2 3.64%
When Our Congress Decides. 4 7.27%
When the Iraq Government Decides. 3 5.45%
When Iran and Syria Decide... 1 1.82%
When the terrorists decide. 1 1.82%
When the Iraqi People Decide. 7 12.73%
When Options 2, 3, 4, 5 and especially Option 8 are met... 8 14.55%
NOT SURE 1 1.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 02:06 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,564,712 times

Advertisements

Get out. Now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 06:33 PM

85 posts, read 566,267 times
Exclamation The War in Iraq - Enough is Enough

The war in Iraq has got STOP - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, end the WAR in Iraq.
The United States has lost way to many troops in Iraq
If the Iraqy people are that Stupid to kill their own people in ther own Country
Let them have at each other and get our troops out of Iraq.
I believe the United States accomplished what we went there for in the begining.( I beliveve it was to remove someone from power.)
Pulling out of Iraq now is the right thing to do. * After all it should not take this long to train people the differents between right and wrong.
The Troops Must Come Home Now Not Next Month or Maybe The Following Month.
Again by pulling the US Troops out right now would not mean that we lost in any way as the job that we went there for has been accomplished.
The War is Over !!

Old 09-10-2007, 08:34 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,764,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl View Post
If the Iraqy people are that Stupid to kill their own people in ther own Country
Let them have at each other and get our troops out of Iraq.
I believe the United States accomplished what we went there for in the begining.
Before the invasion, Colin Powell warned Bush: "You break it, you own it."

We broke it, now we own it.

Is it responsible for us to demolish governments, ignite civil wars, and then abandon the people to a fate worse than the one they faced prior to our invasion?

I don't understand the logic of the "get out now" argument. Can you explain why it is responsible and ethical for us to abandon those people to chaos and bloodshed when we can potentially help them transition to a more peaceful status? I believe the invasion was wrong, but having made that mistake we must now take responsibility for it. We can't just walk away and blame all the bloodshed on the Iraqi people. We are responsible for destabilizing that nation, and possibly the entire region. It's our responsibility to do what we can to stabilize it and provide for the people whom we have harmed.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:07 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,129,558 times
If it is our responsibility to stabilize the region, then the best way to accomplish that is to leave. I just don't get these arguments that these people are suffering so badly that we need to remain. Um.. WE made them suffer so badly and they will continue to slide deeper into rage if we keep pushing our ugly faces into their lives.

If you were hit by a drunk driver, would you want him sitting in your hospital room waiting for you to heal? Of course not, you'd want him somewhere else so you could get on with your life.

Out of Iraq. NOW.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:54 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,317,183 times
Default The president is in charge. His veto goes a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
The way our government is supposed to work, if Congress makes the decision to pull out, then it would be done. It certainly shouldn't be left up to either the Pentagon or the White House to make the decision. I think the Pentagon thinks it's like a giant game of chess except they seem to feel that they have an unlimited number of men and women to put on the board.

And we all know the chances of George admitting that he may have goofed.
The president is in charge. His veto goes a long way.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:30 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
the veto may be overidden! Bush is PRESIDENT not KING!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:54 AM

Location: Currently, Falls Church, VA but to Phoenix, AZ soon
14 posts, read 18,094 times
Default Let's pull out of Germany, Britian, etc. as well

Let's see, WWII ended how many years ago? We defeated Hitler in Germany and removed him from power and then we left and left the German people to their own devices, right? Well, it seems to me our military STILL has a major presence on Germany. Therefore, some 50+ YEARS after then end of WWII, we are still present in Germany. How about pulling out of Britain, or Japan, or Italy, or ....

Point being, to those who say get out of Iraq now, the same argument MUST be made for the countries WE STILL OCCUPY this many years after WWII. For those who will argue that those countries are independent and simply need ask us to leave and we will, 2 things.

#1-England has asked us many times to decrease our presence there, and we have not yet. As well as the fact that our treaty with England states that we will not have nukes stored in England and I can tell you for an absolute fact, having been in the USAF, that there are stockpiles of nukes in England...in direct violation of our agreement placing our bases there.

#2-As far as I know, the Iraqi government has not asked that we leave.

For those who say get out of Iraq now, look at history.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:58 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,645,549 times
The surge is working - let it work.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:44 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,764,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
If it is our responsibility to stabilize the region, then the best way to accomplish that is to leave. I just don't get these arguments that these people are suffering so badly that we need to remain.
That's your opinion. Here's another opinion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
The surge is working - let it work.
I don't understand how anyone can claim to know what we should do in Iraq. As of this post, I'm still the only person who voted NOT SURE in this poll.

If other people are so sure, then why are so many people in disagreement? To me, a contentious issue is a sign of uncertainty. How can any of you be certain that the surge is working, or the invasion was a good idea, or that we should leave immediately?

The situation is extremely complex and nobody knows what will happen no matter WHAT we do. The main lesson I take away from this war is that the USA is too heavily tied to global corporate interests and we're still behaving like an empire. We don't have the right to invade other nations for the sake of pleasing corporate interests, even if we have plausible excuses rooted in scare tactics about "protecting national security." Aside from that, I don't know what to make of it all. I wish we'd stop going to war. I wish people would vote for one of the following candidates:
Ron Paul
Barak Obama
Dennis Kucinich

We need leadership that isn't driven by imperial ambitions and corporate welfare. We need to stop believing the hype that is spoon-fed to us about how our government is protecting us from foreign enemies. We need to take responsibility for the fact that the USA has provoked much of the rage that exists in the world towards our government. We need to look at the world through multiple perspectives instead of focusing on America First as though nobody else matters.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:22 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,993,399 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies