Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:00 PM

70 posts, read 45,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Sorry. I couldn't read past this first sentence. The problems we face today began long ago. If you cannot understand that, you've got no legs to stand on.
Every single one of our problems are grounded in human nature, so yeah they began long ago, probably around the time apes in Africa decided to start walking on their hind legs.

I just don't see why you wouldn't think two foreign wars would have a harmful effect on the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 02:00 PM

758 posts, read 588,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Sorry. I couldn't read past this first sentence. The problems we face today began long ago. If you cannot understand that, you've got no legs to stand on.
The recession, the Iraq War, unemployment, and the national debt are all Bush's doing. Obama inherited those, and he's doing a fine job cleaning up the mess with what little cooperation he has from Congress.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:01 PM

30,857 posts, read 36,760,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
Actually we've been cutting money from education for years and pouring it into defense. That all started under Reagan. Many schools in inner cities are way underfunded which is one of many reasons why they're turning into dropout factories. Texas has laid off hundreds of thousands of teachers due to them cutting back on education.
That simply isn't true. Even some liberals are finally admitting this. See

Waiting for Superman.

http://www.amazon.com/Waiting-Superm...1409566&sr=8-1

Here's one of many proofs to show the US spends more on education than other countries but gets lousy results:

U.S. Education Spending & Student Performance vs. The World Infographic | MAT@USC

Here's my favorite scientific based article that proves much of the money spend on health care could be saved if Americans would just not smoke, eat real food, and get some exercise:

http://www.livescience.com/5627-key-...-revealed.html

The article mentions that:

93% of diabetes is completely preventable
81% of heart disease is completely preventable
36% of cancer is completely preventable

Old 03-10-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's even more true for medical care than for education.

I have to say I do agree with the OP that Americans want something for nothing. Where I disagree is that I just don't see that the government manages what it has very well....and I think that's a big sticking point between conservatives and liberals. Liberals overlook the sins/inefficiencies of government and conservatives see the waste, mismanagement, and corruption.

FYI to the OP...I believe the U.S. spends more per capita on both education and health care than the European countries, and yet we are inferior on both.
Agencies can't do much of anything if the tools they have are limited and the laws are toothless all because people like my whackjob brother-in-law think everything is a conspiracy because they listen too much to Alex Jones.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:02 PM

Is it that you think the decisions made during an eight year presidency can have no lasting effects?

Old 03-10-2012, 02:03 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,891,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeds468 View Post
Every single one of our problems are grounded in human nature, so yeah they began long ago, probably around the time apes in Africa decided to start walking on their hind legs.

I just don't see why you wouldn't think two foreign wars would have a harmful effect on the economy.
Good grief. Go back several decades. You just might learn something.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:03 PM

Enlighten me.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Is it that you think the decisions made during an eight year presidency can have no lasting effects?
Oh, I know they can. This whole economic disaster is all the aftermath of Reaganomics. Three decades later his eight year presidency has lasting effects.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:05 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,891,837 times
Quote:
Enlighten me.
Do your own research. Knowledge is Power.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:06 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,297,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
The recession, the Iraq War, unemployment, and the national debt are all Bush's doing. Obama inherited those, and he's doing a fine job cleaning up the mess with what little cooperation he has from Congress.
More misinformation. Read up on the annual deficits and who was in power at the time. Obama's deficits make Bush's look like chump change, even more so when you take into account who the dominant power in Congress was per annum. U.S. Federal Deficits, Presidents, and Congress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies