U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-10-2012, 12:54 PM
 
Location: John & Ken-ville
12,776 posts, read 8,692,712 times
Reputation: 8376
Default Controversial Talk Radio Hosts - Do they go too far?

Who remembers the Alan Berg murder?

I have always been a talk radio junkie and I was a teen when he was killed.
I don't believe that I ever heard his show but I do remember the murder.

I was just thinking about him today, as I think about the upcoming US Presidential election and the buzz around Rush and his recent comments, and other pundits who aren't on talk radio like Beck - I saw an article today on Drudge which could motivate a loose cannon to commit a crime.

Rush had a "suspicious package" scare last week.

Limbaugh gets suspicious package at Florida home

From what I understand it was nothing, but it also highlights what kind of security these guys have, and why they would need the bomb squad called to investigate.

NATION OF ISLAM NEWSPAPER ATTACKS ‘MINION OF THE SYNAGOGUE OF SATAN’ GLENN BECK FOR FARRAKHAN COMMENTS

Gloria Allred seeks Rush Limbaugh prosecution

Illegal robocalls accuse Republicans over Rush Limbaugh and '****' slur

Does anyone think it's possible for any of the more vocal talk radio hosts (or others) to be targeted as Alan Berg was for their opinions that may not be popular.

Judge Rejects Dismissal of Charges in Slaying of Denver Radio Host

Does anyone think that conservative talk radio hosts go too far?

Does anyone think Rush should be held to a higher standard?

Why is the left censuring freedom of speech?

In my opinion, the "right" may have more conservative radio programs that are popular, and the "left" controls the airwaves and most mass media... do you think that the comments made by some could incite someone to commit a crime like murder over their comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-10-2012, 01:02 PM
 
24,499 posts, read 7,598,754 times
Reputation: 6739
I don't think they go too far. Only their listeners and sponsors can determine that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 01:39 PM
 
Location: at the end of a dirt road
3,020 posts, read 1,676,940 times
Reputation: 2090
I don't think it's just talk radio, I think it is a sign of our times. I can't even watch most of what is on TV - screaming, people acting like spoiled brats. Look at Jerry Springer, The Bachelor, all of this reality show garbage. It's trash all of it. All it is is grown adults displaying behavior they would chide their own children for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 01:44 PM
 
Location: John & Ken-ville
12,776 posts, read 8,692,712 times
Reputation: 8376
It's more than talk radio, tv and sponsors and listeners.

I think that there's a movement to silence people's opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,444 posts, read 15,446,671 times
Reputation: 8474
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I don't think it's just talk radio, I think it is a sign of our times. I can't even watch most of what is on TV - screaming, people acting like spoiled brats. Look at Jerry Springer, The Bachelor, all of this reality show garbage. It's trash all of it. All it is is grown adults displaying behavior they would chide their own children for.
^^this.
hate radio and trash tv (both sides of lamestream media) are out of control in the U.S.

I want news on the economy and facts, not corporate controlled tripe and reality shows. It is all part of appealing to the lowest common denominator. I would not want my child watching any of this garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 02:41 PM
 
Location: John & Ken-ville
12,776 posts, read 8,692,712 times
Reputation: 8376
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't think they go too far. Only their listeners and sponsors can determine that.

Did Alan Berg have the luxury of being vetted by listeners or sponsors? NO.


I'm talking about suspicious packages, Allred lawsuits and Farrakhan fatwas AFTER THE MAN APOLOGIZED FOR HIS COMMENT!

What's next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 02:45 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
7,744 posts, read 4,268,005 times
Reputation: 6269
Going too far is their business model - that's why they're controversial talk radio hosts. Otherwise, the hardcore followers would tune out. Even as Rush's sponsors are getting cold feet now, I bet he's getting record ratings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 02:56 PM
 
6,225 posts, read 5,394,708 times
Reputation: 3022
Yes they do go too far. And while I don't wish harm on anyone, I do think that this country would be far better off without them. It's best not to have anything to do with quarrelsome people who try to stir up hate among us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 03:20 PM
 
Location: fredericktown,ohio
5,091 posts, read 1,786,746 times
Reputation: 1798
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
^^this.
hate radio and trash tv (both sides of lamestream media) are out of control in the U.S.

I want news on the economy and facts, not corporate controlled tripe and reality shows. It is all part of appealing to the lowest common denominator. I would not want my child watching any of this garbage.
Appealing to the lowest common denominater is why I canceled cable, I have smoked a lot of weed but still have enough brain cells left not to watch fake reality T V.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 03:24 PM
 
4,043 posts, read 1,396,357 times
Reputation: 1898
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Who remembers the Alan Berg murder?

I have always been a talk radio junkie and I was a teen when he was killed.
I don't believe that I ever heard his show but I do remember the murder.

I was just thinking about him today, as I think about the upcoming US Presidential election and the buzz around Rush and his recent comments, and other pundits who aren't on talk radio like Beck - I saw an article today on Drudge which could motivate a loose cannon to commit a crime.

Rush had a "suspicious package" scare last week.

Limbaugh gets suspicious package at Florida home

From what I understand it was nothing, but it also highlights what kind of security these guys have, and why they would need the bomb squad called to investigate.

NATION OF ISLAM NEWSPAPER ATTACKS ‘MINION OF THE SYNAGOGUE OF SATAN’ GLENN BECK FOR FARRAKHAN COMMENTS

Gloria Allred seeks Rush Limbaugh prosecution

Illegal robocalls accuse Republicans over Rush Limbaugh and '****' slur

Does anyone think it's possible for any of the more vocal talk radio hosts (or others) to be targeted as Alan Berg was for their opinions that may not be popular.

Judge Rejects Dismissal of Charges in Slaying of Denver Radio Host

Does anyone think that conservative talk radio hosts go too far?

Does anyone think Rush should be held to a higher standard?

Why is the left censuring freedom of speech?

In my opinion, the "right" may have more conservative radio programs that are popular, and the "left" controls the airwaves and most mass media... do you think that the comments made by some could incite someone to commit a crime like murder over their comments?

"do you think that the comments made by some could incite someone to commit a crime like murder over their comments?"

I not only "think" but I know that they, nor we incite others to commit crimes. Again, personal resposibility and a nut, if a true nut will use whatever they've got to blame, if they wish, their crimes on. The poetic expressive example of this fact is when the Beatles music, Helter Skelter was listened to over and over by that bearded freak that's still in prison for murdering or orchestrating the murder of actress Sharon Tate.

Furthermore, the liberal party likes what you just asked and would answer a resounding YES so that in the near future, when social unrest spreads to the streets which they are sublimely orchestrating....they can blame folks like Beck, Rush, and even bloggers, etc....it's all planned and it came from within the study of "Psychopolitics" which was an art that Russia perfected before 1920.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top