Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
For as long as I can remember, Daylight Savings Time started on the last Sunday in April, and ended on the last Sunday in October. A bike ride I used to participate in (Ironman Century) in Minneapolis, usually ran on the last Sunday in April, with the first heat starting at 7:00 AM, and getting up that extra hour early was especially excruciating. Similarly, Halloween usually occurred right after the time change, making trick-or-treating that much "earlier".

The reasons were pretty clear - especially the reasons for having the change forward, exactly six months after the change back.

DST was an effort to make the sun come up closer to the same time every morning, whether winter or summer. Of course, it can never be exactly the same time. But this helped it be a little less wildly eccentric.

But now we have changed it for some reason. There are now EIGHT months between the change forward (today) and the change back (Mid-November).

What is the rationale, exactly, for having them eight months apart rather than six? I'm pretty baffled at this.

Some people tell me it's for energy saving. But others say that that's a phantom - people in most of the country who have an extra hour between getting home from work, and sundown, tend to run their air conditioners MORE at home for that hour in the summer; while the air condititoners at work don't get reduced for that extra hour. And people who will now get up an hour early, in early March instead of waiting till late April, will be turning on their lights more in that early time while fixing breakfast, getting the kids ready for school etc.

Also, some say that fewer pedestrians get run over in the evening after DST changes in March... but doesn't that simply mean that more will get run over in the morning?

I even heard one rumor (probably not true) that barbecue manufacturers got together to lobby Congress to change the clocks-forward change to March, so that people would have more barbecueing time in the evening and so they would buy more grills, sooner.

I liked it a lot better when we turned the clocks forward in late April, than doing it now in early March. Why did we change? I can't find ANY upside to this new way.

And no, I'd rather not move to Arizona or Indiana where they have never done DST at all.

Probably to coincide with spring break. I wouldn't mind if they just kept it on one or the other. It's a ridiculous tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:07 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Personally I'm glad. The days are getting longer, and especially with the mild winter here in NE Ohio, yesterday was a great day to be outside! This week is forcasted to be in the 60s. Feels like early May here in Cleveland!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:20 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Because dubs had to make one good call in 8 yrs.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:33 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
All because of this stupid "save energy" crap.
^ "Conservatism"

Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
For as long as I can remember, Daylight Savings Time started on the last Sunday in April, and ended on the last Sunday in October. A bike ride I used to participate in (Ironman Century) in Minneapolis, usually ran on the last Sunday in April, with the first heat starting at 7:00 AM, and getting up that extra hour early was especially excruciating. Similarly, Halloween usually occurred right after the time change, making trick-or-treating that much "earlier".

The reasons were pretty clear - especially the reasons for having the change forward, exactly six months after the change back.

DST was an effort to make the sun come up closer to the same time every morning, whether winter or summer. Of course, it can never be exactly the same time. But this helped it be a little less wildly eccentric.

But now we have changed it for some reason. There are now EIGHT months between the change forward (today) and the change back (Mid-November).

What is the rationale, exactly, for having them eight months apart rather than six? I'm pretty baffled at this.

Some people tell me it's for energy saving. But others say that that's a phantom - people in most of the country who have an extra hour between getting home from work, and sundown, tend to run their air conditioners MORE at home for that hour in the summer; while the air condititoners at work don't get reduced for that extra hour. And people who will now get up an hour early, in early March instead of waiting till late April, will be turning on their lights more in that early time while fixing breakfast, getting the kids ready for school etc.

Also, some say that fewer pedestrians get run over in the evening after DST changes in March... but doesn't that simply mean that more will get run over in the morning?

I even heard one rumor (probably not true) that barbecue manufacturers got together to lobby Congress to change the clocks-forward change to March, so that people would have more barbecueing time in the evening and so they would buy more grills, sooner.

I liked it a lot better when we turned the clocks forward in late April, than doing it now in early March. Why did we change? I can't find ANY upside to this new way.

And no, I'd rather not move to Arizona or Indiana where they have never done DST at all.
It saves on energy costs, by shifting prime time energy demands. The Bush administration implemented it, and its stuck.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
I would rather see PERMANENT daylight savings.....

Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
And this is on the politics forum why? Are you blaming it on Obama?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:53 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I would rather see PERMANENT daylight savings.....
Me too. I can't stand when the clocks go back it gets dark at 5PM. I love the longer days.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:

after years of starting the last Sun in April and ending in Oct, congress decided as an energy saving move (hopefully) to empliment it in March so we would have more hours of light during the time more people are awake, rather than have it getting light when many are still sleeping.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
It is because NASA messed with the Moon 40 years ago. The phases changed and we had to change Daylight Savings to compensate. I read this on a Golbal Warming is a Hoax website. It must be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies