Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:50 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
You didn't answer the ?. Repeat again. Why can't the requirements just be using your current DL, passport, or whatever else is ALREADY issued by the state or federal government?
To make voters have to go out and get a card just for the sole purpose of voting, just reeks of oppression and most people who will be effected by it are people more likely to vote democrat and these laws (like the one being implemented in PA, Santorum's state) are made by Republicans.
The Democrats are not in favor, come on Pubs, of having anyone show up with no ID and just voting. But why, after decades, when DL's and similar ID's have been acceptable, well, why are they no longer acceptable to the GOP now?
Which states require a separate ID other than state issued DL or other federal ID?

Unless there is some issue with the ID (Washington gives illegals drivers licenses) they should be adequate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 04:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
HOWEVER, if the GOP is coming up with laws requiring photo ID's that are meant only for the purpose of voting, when 99% of people already have at least a state issued ID, that's horse hockey and really reeks of oppression.
So, if you can answer as neutrally as possible, are they trying to do the latter, or just enforce the former, which, is reasonable, if they only want to use ID's that most people already have, without making up new ones and disguising it under "voter integrity"?
You need valid State issued identification. Period.

If we had that, then students would not get to vote twice, once by absentee ballot, and then once near the university they attend.

Get it?

Commonly sensible...

Mircea

Old 03-12-2012, 04:54 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You need valid State issued identification. Period.

If we had that, then students would not get to vote twice, once by absentee ballot, and then once near the university they attend.

Get it?

Commonly sensible...

Mircea
So, combine something in a current DL, like a mircochip, that prevents that, as opposed to making a new voter ID card?
The %tage of students doing what you're talking about makes up maybe 2% of the total votes max anyway. Not a real serious issue.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:05 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
I'm glad I lean liberal and progressive, however, I don't have a major issue with requiring a govt. issued ID to vote.
I mean, if you need one to cash a check, why wouldn't you need one to vote.
HOWEVER, if the GOP is coming up with laws requiring photo ID's that are meant only for the purpose of voting, when 99% of people already have at least a state issued ID, that's horse hockey and really reeks of oppression.
So, if you can answer as neutrally as possible, are they trying to do the latter, or just enforce the former, which, is reasonable, if they only want to use ID's that most people already have, without making up new ones and disguising it under "voter integrity"?
State issued ID's are fine. Take this up with the Obama administration.

We have to show ID here in my state. That is as it shoud be, if you want to maintain the integrity of elections. But the Democrats use fraud to get their candidates elected. That is why they are against ID.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:35 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
So, combine something in a current DL, like a mircochip, that prevents that, as opposed to making a new voter ID card?
The %tage of students doing what you're talking about makes up maybe 2% of the total votes max anyway. Not a real serious issue.
Unless you lose by 1%...

Old 03-12-2012, 05:55 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
State issued ID's are fine. Take this up with the Obama administration.

We have to show ID here in my state. That is as it shoud be, if you want to maintain the integrity of elections. But the Democrats use fraud to get their candidates elected. That is why they are against ID.
They are against ID that isn't neccessary when state issued ID's are already in place.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:03 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
They are against ID that isn't neccessary when state issued ID's are already in place.
Are you aware that MANY states do not require ANY sort of identification at the voting booth (I live in one of those states and all I need to give is my name)? That's the beef "we" have. State ID's are fine with me, there's no need to create a completely separate ID just to vote.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:54 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Quote:
I'm glad I lean liberal and progressive, however, I don't have a major issue with requiring a govt. issued ID to vote.
I mean, if you need one to cash a check, why wouldn't you need one to vote.

I do not believe the GOP is wishing a voter ID that is "just" for voting!
That would be wallet-crowding and so wasteful.
It is not just a GOP idea.
I voted many times in the state of Hawaii and they required a govt. issued photo ID every time, and the name on my ID had to match a computer printout, every time.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I wonder what percentage of the voting public has absolutely no form of identification? I mean really, what are the odds?
11%. See my link in the other voter ID thread. I'm on a computer that doesn't have all my bookmarks right now.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:06 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,230 times
That eleven percent is from the Brennan Justice Center. It is contradicted by other sources. This center is founded by the New York U. School of Law.

David B. Muhlhausen, Ph.D. a senior analyst for the Heritage Foundation reports that the number of voters without Photo ID is much lower. An excellent report on the numbers and this issue which has plenty of substantiation is found here...

Photo ID Laws Do Not Reduce Voter Turnout

Naturally, conservative organizations report lower numbers and liberal ones report higher. No surprise there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies