Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:49 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have "adopted" several pets from the Humane Society and do not recall ever having to show ID. The Humane Society is not the gestapo.

Here are the requirements for the Chicago Anti-Cruelty Society, and look... *shock*... they require ID.

Quote:
Adoption Requirements:

• Must be 18 years of age or older for standard adoptions.
    Seniors 60 and over qualify for the Pets for Seniors Program.
  • Must have valid ID with current address
  • Must provide landlord's name and phone number (or copy of current lease)
  • All members of the household should be present
  • You must understand that The Anti-Cruelty Society must approve your adoption application
Adoption Information

I think you are arguing just for the sake of argument. No, they are not the gestapo, but they typically are respectful organizations and have a vested interest in ensuring that their animals are properly placed. Do you know what a DNA list is? It's called a Do Not Adopt list for those of us in the rescue business and it's a list of people who have been convicted of or charged with various animal abuses/cruelty. Those names are often times cross-referenced at the humane society to weed out potential adopters. And, I have NEVER heard of a humane society that doesn't ask for identification.

Quote:
Most senior citizens have long had their bank accounts; they aren't going around opening new ones.
Duh, that's what I said but thanks for repeating it. The point is, she wouldn't have been able to open that account AT ALL had she never had any identification to begin with.

Quote:
I work in a doctor's office and we do not ask for ID. We do ask for insurance cards, but they don't usually have a picture (mine doesn't) and they don't even always have everyone's name on them, sometimes just the name of the person who carries the insurance.
Then your office is behind the times, sad to say. Get used to it, insurance fraud is rampant and insurance companies want to ensure that the people for whom they are paying claims on are the actual insured individuals. They often don't include all of the dependent's names on the insurance cards for privacy reasons. I'm surprised you don't know this already? Have you been to a hospital lately for any sort of reason? They also require identification. I'm pretty shocked at your ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I believe you are arguing simply to argue. One of the new requirements for Obamacare is ID. You remember they promised to cut out billions in fraud.

An ID is required to transact just about any financial or medical transaction today. The only people harmed by voter ID laws are those committing fraud.
Yep.

Last edited by AuDiBelle; 03-13-2012 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 03:07 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Come, come! To adopt a pet? NO! To use the ATM? NO! To go to the dr? NO. To use the library? NO.
I think your area is the exception.

I recently moved and had to provide picture ID to do just about everything. Doctors, many, library card, bank, pharmacist, etc.

In fact even though the drug store knows me by my first name now, I STILL have to show a picture ID card EVERY TIME I get a prescription.

My wife had to supply the Social Security Admin with her birth certificate even though she got her card many, may years ago and received a yearly statement from them.

You have made the same statement before, Because YOU don't have to do it or YOU aren't aware it, it doesn't exist. It doesn't mean your situation is the norm.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Thanks to the need to keep our people safe you need to show ID now more than ever and for the most mundane items.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
a valid PHOTO ID!
Well, finally someone answered my question. I'm not on Medicare. How would I know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Quote:
I have "adopted" several pets from the Humane Society and do not recall ever having to show ID. The Humane Society is not the gestapo.

Here are the requirements for the Chicago Anti-Cruelty Society, and look... *shock*... they require ID.

Adoption Information

I think you are arguing just for the sake of argument. No, they are not the gestapo, but they typically are respectful organizations and have a vested interest in ensuring that their animals are properly placed. Do you know what a DNA list is? It's called a Do Not Adopt list for those of us in the rescue business and it's a list of people who have been convicted of or charged with various animal abuses/cruelty. Those names are often times cross-referenced at the humane society to weed out potential adopters. And, I have NEVER heard of a humane society that doesn't ask for identification.

Duh, that's what I said but thanks for repeating it. The point is, she wouldn't have been able to open that account AT ALL had she never had any identification to begin with.

Then your office is behind the times, sad to say. Get used to it, insurance fraud is rampant and insurance companies want to ensure that the people for whom they are paying claims on are the actual insured individuals. They often don't include all of the dependent's names on the insurance cards for privacy reasons. I'm surprised you don't know this already? Have you been to a hospital lately for any sort of reason? They also require identification. I'm pretty shocked at your ignorance.
OK, I'll answer this instead of reporting the underlined as a personal attack, this time.

I see nothing on my local animal shelter's website about needing an ID to adopt. I have adopted several pets from them, including one recently, and I think I'd remember if I had to produce my ID.

So what if my mom wouldn't have been able to open a bank account w/o ID? She had an account. She didn't need to open another one. The people at her bank knew her and I never saw them ask her for ID, not once, and I used to take her to the bank about once a day b/c that's what she liked to do. The fact that if she had wanted to open a new account at a different bank would have required ID is irrelevant. She and many like her have had accounts for decades, and no one is asking them for ID at their banks. I don't think my mother-in-law has to produce one at her bank in Omaha, either, and that is a much larger city than the one where my mom lived.

I know WHY the insurance cards don't all have names on them, though some do as well. I don't need any little lecture about HIPAA from you. The fact is, they DON'T have pictures on them. That is the relevant detail. Neither does my insurance card and my doctor (not the same office I work for) doesn't ask for any ID either.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
OK, I'll answer this instead of reporting the underlined as a personal attack, this time.
Please. I *am* quite surprised that someone in the medical field, such as yourself, has never heard of this before. It is shocking considering you cannot get anything done in a hospital without proving who you are with valid picture ID.

Quote:
I see nothing on my local animal shelter's website about needing an ID to adopt. I have adopted several pets from them, including one recently, and I think I'd remember if I had to produce my ID.
What's the name of this animal shelter, I'll call them up myself and ask because I simply DO.NOT.BELIEVE. that they are just handing out animals to anyone who walks through their door. That absolutely does not happen. Here is the ASPCA adoption process:

Quote:
After the survey, we’ll walk you through the shelter to meet our resident dogs and cats. If you meet a pet and fall in love at first sight, you will then fill out an application for adoption. We require two forms of identification, including a telephone, utility or cable bill as one form, plus a driver’s license, passport, or student or work ID.
OMFG! They require not one, but TWO forms of ID!! Say it isn't so!! ASPCA | NYC Adoptions FAQ

Quote:
So what if my mom wouldn't have been able to open a bank account w/o ID? She had an account. She didn't need to open another one. The people at her bank knew her and I never saw them ask her for ID, not once, and I used to take her to the bank about once a day b/c that's what she liked to do. The fact that if she had wanted to open a new account at a different bank would have required ID is irrelevant. She and many like her have had accounts for decades, and no one is asking them for ID at their banks. I don't think my mother-in-law has to produce one at her bank in Omaha, either, and that is a much larger city than the one where my mom lived.
But you claim you can go through life just fine without ID. Now you're moving the goal posts and changing the rules. The fact is that your mother wouldn't have been able to open any sort of bank account with proof of identity. Hence, and ID is essential in this day and age. Maybe not as essential to an elderly person who lives with family and has no need to do any sort of banking or travel.

Quote:
I know WHY the insurance cards don't all have names on them, though some do as well. I don't need any little lecture about HIPAA from you. The fact is, they DON'T have pictures on them. That is the relevant detail. Neither does my insurance card and my doctor (not the same office I work for) doesn't ask for any ID either.
Which is precisely why doctor offices are increasingly asking for valid picture ID (and all hospitals too) especially since the insurance card doesn't prove who you are. As I said, your office must just be behind the times in this regard but rest assured it's coming. Insurance companies are starting to require it if the office wants to get reimbursed.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Please. I *am* quite surprised that someone in the medical field, such as yourself, has never heard of this before. It is shocking considering you cannot get anything done in a hospital without proving who you are with valid picture ID.
I was in the hospital just recently. I do not recall being asked for any picture ID to prove who I am.

Quote:
What's the name of this animal shelter, I'll call them up myself and ask because I simply DO.NOT.BELIEVE. that they are just handing out animals to anyone who walks through their door. That absolutely does not happen. Here is the ASPCA adoption process:

OMFG! They require not one, but TWO forms of ID!! Say it isn't so!! ASPCA | NYC Adoptions FAQ
Humane Society of Boulder Valley (Colorado)

Quote:
But you claim you can go through life just fine without ID. Now you're moving the goal posts and changing the rules. The fact is that your mother wouldn't have been able to open any sort of bank account with proof of identity. Hence, and ID is essential in this day and age. Maybe not as essential to an elderly person who lives with family and has no need to do any sort of banking or travel.
I did not say that. If you think otherwise, please post what I said. I did say most elderly have had their bank accounts for years and are not being asked for ID at each transaction.

Quote:
Which is precisely why doctor offices are increasingly asking for valid picture ID (and all hospitals too) especially since the insurance card doesn't prove who you are. As I said, your office must just be behind the times in this regard but rest assured it's coming. Insurance companies are starting to require it if the office wants to get reimbursed.
Link?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:08 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times
Quote:
Most of us that are "established" could probadly get away without ID expect for the driving issue and other rare occasions that require ID. Other than when I first moved here, I've never been asked for ID at the doctor.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I was in the hospital just recently. I do not recall being asked for any picture ID to prove who I am.
Same here and I was asked for valid picture ID each time. Not to mention, I work in a hospital and ID is required here. Medicaid cards here also don't have picture ID, so a valid government issued ID is required to curb fraudulent use of the medicaid cards.

Quote:
Humane Society of Boulder Valley (Colorado)
Just called them. They require proof of address (be it a picture ID or otherwise) to ensure that if you are adopting a breed and live in an area that doesn't allow those (ie., Denver) breeds that you aren't allowed to take the animal home. They do have a DNA list but don't cross check it with any sort of ID. In fact, they even allow people to adopt a pet after having relinquished one to their facility. I am pretty surprised how lax their rules are, that is not at all how it's done here (Chicago area) or with any of the shelters that I work with in various states such as Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, etc.

Quote:
I did not say that. If you think otherwise, please post what I said. I did say most elderly have had their bank accounts for years and are not being asked for ID at each transaction.
Well what exactly were you attempting to insinuate by saying that your elderly mother doesn't need any ID? The fact is, that she did need ID at earlier points in her life (to drive, rent/buy housing, make financial transactions, etc). We are moving towards an age where a handshake or simply giving your name is no longer good enough. It's just the way it is. Heck, even high school students now are required to carry their photo ID's on them just to attend public school. I think it's absurd to insinuate that people can get by in life without any form of valid picture identification. This isn't the 1900's anymore. We don't drive horse drawn wagons..

Quote:
Link?
It's happening. I don't really care if you believe me or not, but it's prudent for medical professionals to ensure that the person they are giving care to is in fact the person that is named on the insurance card. And didn't someone here state that part of Obamacare is a new ID card?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Same here and I was asked for valid picture ID each time. Not to mention, I work in a hospital and ID is required here. Medicaid cards here also don't have picture ID, so a valid government issued ID is required to curb fraudulent use of the medicaid cards.
What do you do in said hospital?

Quote:
Just called them. They require proof of address (be it a picture ID or otherwise) to ensure that if you are adopting a breed and live in an area that doesn't allow those (ie., Denver) breeds that you aren't allowed to take the animal home. They do have a DNA list but don't cross check it with any sort of ID. In fact, they even allow people to adopt a pet after having relinquished one to their facility. I am pretty surprised how lax their rules are, that is not at all how it's done here (Chicago area) or with any of the shelters that I work with in various states such as Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, etc.
What a waste of a long-distance call! That is the farthest I have ever seen anyone on CD go to "prove" someone wrong.

Quote:
Well what exactly were you attempting to insinuate by saying that your elderly mother doesn't need any ID? The fact is, that she did need ID at earlier points in her life (to drive, rent/buy housing, make financial transactions, etc). We are moving towards an age where a handshake or simply giving your name is no longer good enough. It's just the way it is. Heck, even high school students now are required to carry their photo ID's on them just to attend public school. I think it's absurd to insinuate that people can get by in life without any form of valid picture identification. This isn't the 1900's anymore. We don't drive horse drawn wagons..
That she's dead? Which she is! But, when she was alive, it did not seem to be a problem that she had no valid driver's license for at least the last 10 years of her life. None of her other ID, e.g. SS card (which, as someone went to great pains to tell us, is NOT an ID, or nursing license (also expired long before she died) had a picture on it.

Quote:
It's happening. I don't really care if you believe me or not, but it's prudent for medical professionals to ensure that the person they are giving care to is in fact the person that is named on the insurance card. And didn't someone here state that part of Obamacare is a new ID card?
Why don't you offer us your services free of charge then? I don't care that much about Obamacare and a new ID card, or is "someone here" said so. Reliable source, eh?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-13-2012 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: fixed quotes

Old 03-13-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Most of us that are "established" could probadly get away without ID expect for the driving issue and other rare occasions that require ID. Other than when I first moved here, I've never been asked for ID at the doctor.
Sure, if you never plan to rent an apartment, buy or refinance a house, change banks or open new accounts, drive, buy a car, get a gym membership, go to the hospital, get a JOB, then yeah you don't need ID. What percent of the population does that represent?

This brings me to an interesting point that I'd love to hear the libs wager in on... If requiring ID to vote is racist, then why isn't it racist to require ID to open a checking account or rent an apartment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies