Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 04:38 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,531,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We do not have a national ID card in this country. It's something many in this country are rather proud of. It seems like some of you are suggesting we go to some sort of mandatory ID system.
In order to make sure the Democrats don't win by fraud? You betcha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 04:39 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
But if you don;t have that state issued ID, what alternatives are acceptable? One reason hawai'i does not require a governement issued ID for voting is the government does not have a mandatory ID card system. If every resident of Hawai'i was required to have a state issued ID, that could be the ID they require, but since Hawai'i does not force its residents to have a state issued ID, they sure the hell ain;t gonna force them to have one just to vote. that is the key why the law can;t be challeneged cause nothing it in doen;t make sense. Every bit of it is such common sense that people really have nothing to whine about. But I can tell you had they forced the state issue id card, or allowed for just fedreal id that didn't prove residency in the polling place, it wouldn;t have been so nice. (this is what i meant by Hawai'i votes the Hawai'i issues, not the party )

and I do appreciate the civil discussion without all the rambling political statements.
Is there ANY state that has a Mandatory ID card?? I may be wrong here, but I don't think there is a single state where you're forced to have an ID card... and I'm pretty sure none of the states wanting people to show ID cards are proposing mandatory ID cards. I believe (I haven't read through ALL of the various state laws) that they want some offical photo id, be it a drivers license, state issued id, military id or even a passport. I could be wrong about that, but that is what I've gotten out of it.

Which if I"m correct, it is exactly the same as Hawaii's Voter ID Card law.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:39 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
We do not have a national ID card in this country. It's something many in this country are rather proud of. It seems like some of you are suggesting we go to some sort of mandatory ID system.
I would.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:43 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Is there ANY state that has a Mandatory ID card?? I may be wrong here, but I don't think there is a single state where you're forced to have an ID card... and I'm pretty sure none of the states wanting people to show ID cards are proposing mandatory ID cards. I believe (I haven't read through ALL of the various state laws) that they want some offical photo id, be it a drivers license, state issued id, military id or even a passport. I could be wrong about that, but that is what I've gotten out of it.

Which if I"m correct, it is exactly the same as Hawaii's Voter ID Card law.
Actually, yes, you are correct and I have, perhaps, misstated my prior argument. SC Voter ID law will accept a valid SC ID, passport, or military ID.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Are you trying to say that you need that much time and that much money every time you vote? YOu don't keep your neccessary documents safe somewhere in your house?

It's not like these laws are asking people to pay for something every month! IF you need to get a certified copy of your brith certificate, then you'll have to shell out some time and money, but then, if you're smart, you'll have that copy for the rest of your life! One time money spent!

And ID cards are good for anywhere from 4 - 10 years depending on the state. That's a DEAL! What else can you buy that is THAT valuable for that little!?
You just don't get it, do you? It is against the constitution of the US to charge people to vote! Period!

Old 03-13-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
You just don't get it, do you? It is against the constitution of the US to charge people to vote! Period!
But what if, in the case of SC for example, they are not being charged? What if they can get the requisite ID for free? Would you then cease your objections?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:52 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Are you trying to say that you need that much time and that much money every time you vote? YOu don't keep your neccessary documents safe somewhere in your house?

It's not like these laws are asking people to pay for something every month! IF you need to get a certified copy of your brith certificate, then you'll have to shell out some time and money, but then, if you're smart, you'll have that copy for the rest of your life! One time money spent!

And ID cards are good for anywhere from 4 - 10 years depending on the state. That's a DEAL! What else can you buy that is THAT valuable for that little!?
I am saying there are a lot of people that have never needed an ID to vote. Some of them have been voting for decades. Many have no idea they will now need to have one. Some actually believe we don't live in a Country where they can be forced to comply with a "papers please" overlord's whims. You know, Constitution and all that. And some don't want to feed the power hungry frenzy of a few "officials". But mostly, anything that cuts out about 5 million voters is positive for the GOP. Which is why they are doing it.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
But what if, in the case of SC for example, they are not being charged? What if they can get the requisite ID for free? Would you then cease your objections?
Maybe. But I still don't like the whole "your papers please" scenario and having to traipse back to the DMV every few years to renew the ID.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I am saying there are a lot of people that have never needed an ID to vote. Some of them have been voting for decades. Many have no idea they will now need to have one. Some actually believe we don't live in a Country where they can be forced to comply with a "papers please" overlord's whims. You know, Constitution and all that. And some don't want to feed the power hungry frenzy of a few "officials".
How in the world do these people function in today's society. To even get your electricity turned on, it requires an ID. I find this argument to be specious. Sounds like a good argument on its face but the reality is that a person simply cannot exist in today's society without some form of ID. Can you prove such a person exists? One without any form of ID?

Old 03-13-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Maybe. But I still don't like the whole "your papers please" scenario and having to traipse back to the DMV every few years to renew the ID.
These are logistical questions that should be ironed out but not reason enough to bar the proposal in its entirety. The opponents are against any form of ID being required and not specifying how that ID law should be enacted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies