Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 07:04 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,824,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
"papers"?
What does that have to do with what I posted?

BTW: It is you Liberals that had No Problem in passing laws that have the Cops pulling folks over in their 'Rolling Roadblocks' (DUI Check points) and asking for your 'Papers'!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
The people committing absentee ballot fraud are well versed in how to do it. That is where most voter fraud occurs. See WV sheriff that was recently sentence for stuffing hundreds of absentee ballots... No photo ID's required. Real easy to pull off, why isn't that covered by these voter suppression laws?
Cleaning up all of the Democrats Fraud schemes takes time!

That will be gotten around to!

BTW: Every notice that it's the DEMS that try to disallow absentee ballots by the Military!?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:10 PM

183 posts, read 322,062 times
Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread but I am pretty liberal and I think voter I.D. is important for this reason:

If someone can't even be bothered to carry legitimate state I.D. then not requiring it just seems like a reinforcement of this kind of attitude. Being part of a modern functional society means playing by the rules, O.K.? This so-called learned helplessness doesn't do anyone any good, and it certainly won't make you feel like you are part of something important, like a functional democracy.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:11 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,996,345 times
Great site to compare voter ID laws in various states.

Voter ID: State Requirements

Quote:
Twenty-nine states presently have laws in place that will all voters to show ID at the polls this November. That number could rise; a total of thirty-one states have passed voter ID laws. Mississippi and Wisconsin presently have no voter ID requirement in place, even though laws have been enacted in both states. In Mississippi's case, the strict photo ID amendment passed by citizen initiative in November 2011 requires both implementing legislation and pre-clearance under Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act before it can be implemented. Wisconsin's new strict photo ID law, passed by the legislature in 2011, was briefly in effect in early 2012, but it was declared unconstitutional by a state judge on March 12, 2012. The state is barred from enforcing the law unless an appeal overturns the March 12 ruling.

In Alabama, South Carolina and Texas, less-strict voter ID laws that pre-date the strict new laws passed in 2011 remain in effect for now. Alabama's new voter ID law has a 2014 effective date, and requires Section 5 pre-clearance. Texas and South Carolina were denied pre-clearance for their new voter ID laws by the U.S. Department of Justice; as in Alabama, older, non-photo ID laws remain in effect while both states seek a reconsideration of pre-clearance from a federal court.

The 31 voter ID laws that have been enacted vary in their details. In fifteen, the ID must include a photo of the voter; in the remaining 16, non-photo forms of ID are acceptable. Voter ID laws can be broken down into the three following categories:

Strict Photo ID: Voters must show a photo ID in order to vote. Voters who are unable to show photo ID at the polls are permitted to vote a provisional ballot, which is counted only if the voter returns to election officials within several days after the election to show a photo ID. At the beginning of 2011, there were just two states--Georgia and Indiana--with strict photo ID laws. Six states passed strict photo ID laws in 2011, although four are not currently in effect (see the notes below Table 1 for more information regarding effective dates for new legislation). That leaves four states with strict photo ID laws currently in effect.

Photo ID: Voters are asked to show a photo ID in order to vote. Voters who are unable to show photo ID are still allowed to vote if they can meet certain other critieria. In some states, a voter with ID can vouch for a voter without. Other states ask a voter without ID to provide personal information such as a birth date, or sign an affidavit swearing to his or her identity. Voters without ID are not required to return to election officials after the election and show a photo ID in order to have their ballots counted in the manner that voters without ID in the strict photo ID states are.

Non-Photo ID: All voters must show ID at the polls. The list of acceptable IDs is varied and includes options that do not have a photo, such as a utility bill or bank statement with the voter's name and address. Rhode Island passed a new voter ID law in 2011. It takes effect in stages -- beginning in 2012, voters will be required to show an ID (although not necessarily a photo ID) at the polls, and in 2014 a photo ID requirement will take effect.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:15 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,823,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
What does that have to do with what I posted?

BTW: It is you Liberals that had No Problem in passing laws that have the Cops pulling folks over in their 'Rolling Roadblocks' (DUI Check points) and asking for your 'Papers'!
States require a driver to have license to drive. Yes those are 'papers'. But, passengers or people walking down the street are not required to show 'papers' even to police unless, there is probable cause of a crime having or being committed. That is called right to privacy and you do not have to give up that right, in order to exercise your right to vote. Well, unless you live in one of the States that has decided the Constitution is not applicable to their 'inferior' people.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
States require a driver to have license to drive. Yes those are 'papers'. But, passengers or people walking down the street are not required to show 'papers' even to police unless, there is probable cause of a crime having or being committed. That is called right to privacy and you do not have to give up that right, in order to exercise your right to vote. Well, unless you live in one of the States that has decided the Constitution is not applicable to their 'inferior' people.
You DO NOT have the RIGHT to 'privacy' when it comes to voting!
You wanna drink .. Show me some ID.
You wanna smoke .. Show me some ID.
According to the SUPREME COURT .. You wanna vote .. "Show Me Some ID"!

Here .. Read This!

Beyond the Voting Rights Act:
Allow ME to give you some facts:

Quote:
As thousands of civil rights advocates celebrated the 40th anniversary of the Voting Rights Act (VRA) in Atlanta last weekend, most media coverage conveyed the Act's importance in protecting minorities' political rights. Yet many of those same stories helped perpetuate a dangerous illusion by asserting that a right to vote is guaranteed by the 15th Amendment.

The trouble is the Supreme Court doesn't see it that way.

In its 2000 ruling, Alexander v Mineta, the Court decided the 600,000 or so (mostly black) residents of Washington D.C. have no legal recourse for their complete lack of voting representation in Congress (they have one “representative†in the House who can speak, but cannot vote). The Court affirmed the district court's interpretation that our Constitution "does not protect the right of all citizens to vote, but rather the right of all qualified citizens to vote.†And it's state legislatures that wield the power to decide who is “qualified.â€
Maybe you and the other uninformed should study Constitutional Law!

Old 03-13-2012, 07:35 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,571,454 times
Lightbulb huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I say it doesn't.

Requiring an ID to vote isn't asking too much.

So, please tell me why Democrats are so opposed to the photo ID requirement.
Seems like a lot of Republicans have been opposed over the years as well.

The amendments, bills and laws didn't get there by accident.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redford dude View Post
Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread but I am pretty liberal and I think voter I.D. is important for this reason:

If someone can't even be bothered to carry legitimate state I.D. then not requiring it just seems like a reinforcement of this kind of attitude. Being part of a modern functional society means playing by the rules, O.K.? This so-called learned helplessness doesn't do anyone any good, and it certainly won't make you feel like you are part of something important, like a functional democracy.
Why should a person carry ID?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Why should a person carry ID?
What kind of question is that?

Is it rhetorical?

You have a life?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
What kind of question is that?

Is it rhetorical?

You have a life?
One with all of the fundamentals of proper sentence structure.

Which part was confusing?

Yes. I am alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies