Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:04 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,744,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So you want to spend more money on people getting ID's. Not everyone wants to do that, and thats the problem isn't it. Its a poll tax, and thats why its wrong.

No one can show where wide spread voter fraud has effected any modern election. Yet, suddenly, this is a campaign issue?
Reducing the cost for a state ID is a poll tax?

So it is ok to subsidize a person's food, housing, medical care, education, birth control, abortions, automobile purchase, etc., but you draw the line on providing an ID?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Reducing the cost for a state ID is a poll tax?

So it is ok to subsidize a person's food, housing, medical care, education, birth control, abortions, automobile purchase, etc., but you draw the line on providing an ID?
No, if you don't offer a free voter ID, in a required state, its a poll tax.

And Republicans rejected the idea of giving free voter ID's to people in states where it is required.

So......

I agree, I think that if you are going to have voter ID laws, then everyone should get a free voter ID card, that is eligible to vote legally. But Republicans don't, and they are pushing the voter ID laws, and they don't want to give away the ID's for free.

As "Mr. Close" so romantically said "If you're too stupid, or to poor"....

Old 03-12-2012, 07:05 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
No...because your hypothesis is wrong.

It is not the "FEW" that vote illegally when able to do so.
WHO is able to vote illegally. First, you have to register ILLEGALLY. That's the really risky part, but 2-5 people per year per state try anyway.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:06 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,832,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
Suppresses illegals? Another "problem" that doesn't exist.

First, illegal immigrants can't register to vote. Second, they avoid all possible contact with anything government related, so ICE agents would be wasting their time at a polling place. Third, if they can't register, why would they go try to vote?

Dumbest argument yet.
Some of you people<-- (NOT the descriptive that I REALLY wanted to use) need to learn to use Google 'before' posting!

The Cutting Edge News

Old 03-12-2012, 07:07 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Quote:
So you want to spend more money on people getting ID's. Not everyone wants to do that, and thats the problem isn't it. Its a poll tax, and thats why its wrong.

No one can show where wide spread voter fraud has effected any modern election. Yet, suddenly, this is a campaign issue?
Oh, I believe someone can! Those numbers when the S. Court argued against John Kerry did seem soooo close as to possibly be artificial. We cannot know, for if election fraud was in the mix we sure can't get any proof.
I do know that I'm not silly for daring to suggest that voter and/or election fraud did seem likely that year.

No, it is not a poll tax. It demands a Govt. issued ID that can be used for multiple reasons and now that TSA has us by the .........we can't even fly without an ID, can't bank without ID.........time for folks that wish to be an active part of our modern world to do something so simple that it defies argument, and that is get a photo ID, sheesh.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:07 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Oh, I believe someone can! Those numbers when the S. Court argued against John Kerry did seem soooo close as to possibly be artificial. We cannot know, for if election fraud was in the mix we sure can't get any proof.
I do know that I'm not silly for daring to suggest that voter and/or election fraud did seem likely that year.

No, it is not a poll tax. It demands a Govt. issued ID that can be used for multiple reasons and now that TSA has us by the .........we can't even fly without an ID, can't bank without ID.........time for folks that wish to be an active part of our modern world to do something so simple that it defies argument, and that is get a photo ID, sheesh.
Link?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:10 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Quote:
Link?
I suspect it's going to be a "but I saw this guy in front of me voting illegally, with a bunch of steaks in his basket..."

Old 03-12-2012, 07:11 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
Would anyone in their right mind vote in another country if you were there illegally? Would you even give your name and get any illegal I'd, no I guess not!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,744,923 times
Quote:
No, if you don't offer a free voter ID, in a required state, its a poll tax.

And Republicans rejected the idea of giving free voter ID's to people in states where it is required.

So......

I agree, I think that if you are going to have voter ID laws, then everyone should get a free voter ID card, that is eligible to vote legally. But Republicans don't, and they are pushing the voter ID laws, and they don't want to give away the ID's for free.

As "Mr. Close" so romantically said "If you're too stupid, or to poor"....
I will call the republican party HQ in Iowa tomorrow and tell them we need voter ID and free ID for all who don't have a DL.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:14 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Its not "some form", its specific forms of state issue ID that costs money, and some of these people can not afford an extra 40 dollars to get them.
Your country will give these same people welfare, cel-phones, food stamps, more welfare with more children but they will not take pains to sacrifice something for the priviledge of being able to vote?

Perhaps the priviledge is wasted on those who would not sacrifice a pittance to exercise it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies