Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 12:56 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
You can't buy a beer w/o an ID...
Actually, if you're 50, you don't need an ID. Only if you look questionably young you need an ID to buy alcohol. Thus, senior citizens who don't have ID have no trouble buying wine. Voting, not so easy.

The fact is that ID laws for voting addresses a problem that's not a problem; there aren't any significant numbers of people trying to vote who aren't eligible. Yet, the GOP wants to stop millions of voters who have no IDs from voting to address a phantom problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 01:35 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Every citizen has an unimpeded right to vote. Many elderly do not have current state issued ID because they do not need them. My mother, for example, had Parkinson's. When she quit driving she did not renew her driver's licence because she didn't use it. After a couple years the address on her old licence was not correct, however, at each move she notified the post office and the elections office, and she received her mail at her place of residence. She didn't need it for check cashing purposes because her bills were either paid electronically or I signed her checks.

It would have taken a special handicapped transport to take her to DMB to obtain a current state issued ID and would have been very exhausting for her and the family.

She had a clear, sound mind. Why should she be denied the right to vote because she didn't have the ID mandated by some legislatures? Oh, if it makes any difference she was a committed Republican.

In my state the issuance of a death certificate removes you from the voter's roles. Votes by mail are not forwarded and the post office returns those addressed to the deceased if elections failed to remove the voter from the roles, BTW.

These 'voter ID laws' are designed to suppress the vote and deny that right to many.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!

So many people are saying that "everyone" already has a State ID to "do business" or "deal with a government agency" but they are plain WRONG.
Not everyone is Doing Business nor dealing with government agencies.
Many of these people will thus be disenfranchised.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
EXACTLY!!!!!!!

So many people are saying that "everyone" already has a State ID to "do business" or "deal with a government agency" but they are plain WRONG.
Yes, 11% of the voting population do not have ID's.

So rather than fight this so strongly, why not get on the bandwagon to get those 11% an ID ?

Old 03-14-2012, 01:37 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
EXACTLY!!!!!!!

Then go get one. You have 4 years to do so.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:07 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
In my state when you register to vote you provide a signature sample and that signature is compared to your ballot. There is no need for further identification!!!

And since when are state agencies going to visit assisted living residences, making house-calls on the frail and infirm to issue necessary identification to vote? You want to send out taxis for the handicapped to transport them to DMV to get IDs, for free? A wonderful expenditure of taxes from fiscally frugal Republicans!

Old 03-14-2012, 02:20 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I say it doesn't.

Requiring an ID to vote isn't asking too much.

It costs more to get a permit to purchase and/or carry a firearm. Why does the left not care about the cost for that. It is a right to keep and bear arms.

I can't say how it is in every state, but in Iowa you used to have to go to the court house and fill out a request for purchase permit, and pay a fee. Sometimes you would have to <gasp> wait in line. Then at the store, you have to show an ID and fill out more forms.

In Illinois you need a FOID. That costs money and takes time.

Why is Eric Holder not blocking those requirements?

So, please tell me why Democrats are so opposed to the photo ID requirement.
We managed to have elections for 200+ years without.

Creating regulations for a problem that doesn't exist.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:23 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Actually, if you're 50, you don't need an ID. Only if you look questionably young you need an ID to buy alcohol. Thus, senior citizens who don't have ID have no trouble buying wine. Voting, not so easy.

The fact is that ID laws for voting addresses a problem that's not a problem; there aren't any significant numbers of people trying to vote who aren't eligible. Yet, the GOP wants to stop millions of voters who have no IDs from voting to address a phantom problem.
without requiring an ID, it's actually really, really easy to simply say you are someone else, and vote in their place, even if they are dead.

Exclusive: O'Keefe Video Exposes Voter Fraud-Friendly Policies in Vermont

Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
There is NO option for me to obtain it for free.

On various occasions I have used expired state ID, and have never had a problem when presenting expired state ID in commerce and general function.

But somehow I'm SURE that expired state ID will get me turned away from the polls.
That is likely because those who were checking it didn't care (many places don't check it, even when they are supposed to), but normally any place that "requires" an id for verification, requires it to be a valid one or the legal means of even asking for it is pointless, that is... if it ever comes up where it is an issue legally, accepting the expired license makes that party responsible.

Technically, it should be as such. An expired license is a common means means of passing off a false identity. People are supposed to destroy their identifications when they expire.

Lastly, concerning your "No option", what do you mean? What state do you live in? Do they not have a means for obtaining one free under the condition of hardship or the like? Have you looked into it? How much is it anyway? In Texas, its 15 dollars for under 60 ( 5 dollars for over 60) and 1 dollar every 6 years to renew. That is far beyond any "unreasonable" hardship for anyone (especially the multipurpose that an ID serves). I mean, $2.67 for the first 6 years and .17 cents every year after? This is a ploy to keep the poor from voting? It is absurd.

I just don't see this as an issue. I mean, if people are going to complain about this, then they should be absolutely enraged about all of the other "requirements" and "fees" that city/state/feds require. It seems the objections with this issue is "selective" and politically served.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:59 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,565,114 times
If there is any payment required for the right to vote that is a poll tax. Voting is a RIGHT, not a privilege.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:02 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
If there is any payment required for the right to vote that is a poll tax. Voting is a RIGHT, not a privilege.
No. The SCOTUS declared the poll tax unconstitutional many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies