Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times

Advertisements

You don't need the IDs proposed for voting to get a job.

Read the list on the last page of an I-9. Observe that on this list is a student ID card with a picture which is specifically not valid in the proposed state legislation. None of these documents need to be currently in effect (can be expired) so long as it is sufficient to identify the individual. Once the employee has provided this information they do not need to prove their identity again upon re-hire if they return within 3 years of severance. I know because I enforced that requirement.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 10:13 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Sigh...this again.

I am not a dem or liberal but am against these voter ID laws because they put an unnecessary burden on state's to provide an ID and to provide transportation for those without IDs to an office to obtain one.

Voter fraud is EXTREMELY rare, which I hope was mentioned in this 60+ page long thread. This occurs at a frequency of less than 1% yet now we have to provide all these free IDs and transportation costs (remember everyone....we have record high gas prices now-a-days yet you think it's no problem to pay tens probably hundreds of thousands of dollars per year to get free IDs and transportation).

These laws are unnecessary and are a way to once again get people focused on non-relevant issues instead of putting our attention to what needs to be done to move our country forward.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:18 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
ARE you one of them? It's said by your actions........

Not once did I say that politically vunerable groups are too stupid to get an ID. I never even suggested so. That is the machinations of the OP.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:39 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Americans shouldn't be required to pay a special fee to obtain the right to vote.
Gotta love liberals. They say you shouldn't be forced to purchase something just because you're a citizen.

Do you feel the same way about being forced to purchase health insurance?

Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
You need an ID to buy Nyquil. Where's the outrage and support for the poor ?

Old 03-15-2012, 11:31 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Here are the acceptable forms of ID in TX.
  • Driver's license
  • Election identification certificate
  • Dept. of Public Safety personal ID card
  • U.S. military ID
  • U.S. citizenship certificate
  • U.S. passport
  • License to carry a concealed handgun issued by the Dept. of Public Safety
Which of these identifications are provided free of charge?
Quite stretch , IMO

You pay for the item you mention in order to use the purpose of those ID.

You can ALSO use those IDs for voting. There is NO extra charge.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
You don't need the IDs proposed for voting to get a job.

Read the list on the last page of an I-9. Observe that on this list is a student ID card with a picture which is specifically not valid in the proposed state legislation. None of these documents need to be currently in effect (can be expired) so long as it is sufficient to identify the individual. Once the employee has provided this information they do not need to prove their identity again upon re-hire if they return within 3 years of severance. I know because I enforced that requirement.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf
Observe that on that list of acceptable documents a Student ID card is located under the "B" column, meaning that it only establishes identity but nothing more. In order to use a Student ID card (with picture) as an acceptable form of ID for a job, you ALSO need to give an item from list C. A student ID alone will not suffice, sorry.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
It's a good thing none of these poor have to fill out an e-verify form. You need a gov't ID as well as your SS.

Do these people that have no ID and live on a cash basis only come out of the woodwork every 4 years to vote for a President ?

Old 03-15-2012, 11:58 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's a good thing none of these poor have to fill out an e-verify form. You need a gov't ID as well as your SS.

Do these people that have no ID and live on a cash basis only come out of the woodwork every 4 years to vote for a President ?
If that is their choice, they have that right.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Does a government ID have to be currently valid for a job or can it be expired?

(Is someone's identity satisfactorily established while valid and not when ID expires?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies