Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 07:10 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Science should always be challenged if you don't understand this then you don't know anything about how it works.
Having a Science degree i can tell you that the whole concept of Science is to always challenge the current paradigm............ a scientist always asks .... WHY?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 AM

266 posts, read 179,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
We'll see. But I have some evidence on my side. In 2002 Catholic Charities imported 1200 Somalians to Lewiston, Maine--a city of 35000 people. They typically have 10 or more children per family. There are now 5500 people of Somalian descent in the city--fully 20% of the population. At the current rate they will make up a majority in about a generation. That's how that happens.
Seems like Lewiston will soon be Muslim. But I guess they are not supported by those Catholic Charities, are they? Probably having those 10 kids on the taxpayers dime.

Here is a graphic of the development of non-christian people in Europe over the last 30 years.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4f/Bsa-religion-question.svg/500px-Bsa-religion-question.svg.png (broken link)

Oh Boy, those Muslims are really taking over....NOT.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:40 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
In the UK, the Govt is voted in to do a job........... The Brits allow the Govt to do the job they were voted in to do but do not rush to judgement before the Prime Minister has even walked through the door of no10... not like here where we were being told how Obama had failed before he was even in te Whitehouse....... pitiful really.
What's pitiful is a presidential candidate who attended a church, for 20 years, that is demonstrably racist and anti-American. Would the people of the UK put up with something like that?
Or would the people of the UK put up with the PM having ties to a former member of...say...the IRA? A person who to this day says "We didn't do enough!".

Quote:
The Brits understand that the good of ALL comes before the good of the few...... that is the big difference between the UK and present day America...... in America the good of the wealthy comes before the good of all.... not good huh and it shows.
Nice soundbite. I see you're up on your lefty propaganda.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stateisota View Post
He isn't fooling anyone. Central Europeans have the best quality of life in the world. Fact, if you disagree you are sadly mistaken or brainwashed by American media.
What American media is spouting this?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:49 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
I'm still waiting for an American politician to propose European-style education here. The liberals would go ballistic. The NAACP and ACLU would sue. Pelosi would pop her last functioning artery. Those enlightened Europeans would be considered racist here and anyone with any experience on the subject knows this. Which is why you ignore it.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whateverhere View Post
I don't care about your opinion.
It's not the greatest country in the world by a long shot.
You just made a fool of yourself.
You deal with it.
You're no better than the person you are arguing with.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Many reasons ..... Marriage to a American Citizen or job relocation or a desire to try somewhere else or even sunshine in Florida but many get a shock when they see the extremely bad health care or the control of the Insurance companies or the racism or the looney religous nuts or the political wars etc etc etc. No Country is perfect but America could be close to perfect if the right wing nuts thought about Country before money, power and politics...... too bad.
"Extremely bad healthcare"? Please explain.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:57 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I don't think Europeans are smarter at all, I do think however we are possibly less isolationist in our views out of necessity and geographical proximity to other Nations.

I do find European Mainstream News ( both TV, Radio and Newspapers) on the whole far more informative and less provincial. It is a lot harder to keep properly informed in the US in my experience.

But then again Europe is comprised of many Nations and cultures, we have a lot of economic and "social" interaction with one another so we cannot afford to remain as cocooned as I find many Americans so it is hardly an achievement.

America does not "have" to concern itself with a lot of foregin issues , it is almost a continent onto itself...

A little better rounded perhaps but smarter I would dispute. People have become less politicised in the last few years through disenchantment with our Politicians and the various education systems are failing kids . The one saving grace in Europe IMO is that Politics are not quite so partisan and no so vicious.

I find American Politics to be vile beyond belief. Like everyone else I am not too fond of our Politicians over here but compared to the American system we have it really good. I sigh with relief every time I watch the Elections circus in the US.

We have not quite got to that stage of savaging the other side just for the sake of it and even worse savaging your own side which to me is utterly bizarre... Bad enough in Europe but America takes this to a whole new level...

As an observer I would say that for example most GOP candidates hate each other's guts more than they hate the Democrats which is incomprehensible to me.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I don't think Europeans are smarter at all, I do think however we are possibly less isolationist in our views out of necessity and geographical proximity to other Nations.

I do find European Mainstream News ( both TV, Radio and Newspapers) on the whole far more informative and less provincial. It is a lot harder to keep properly informed in the US in my experience.

But then again Europe is comprised of many Nations and cultures, we have a lot of economic and "social" interaction with one another so we cannot afford to remain as cocooned as I find many Americans so it is hardly an achievement.

America does not "have" to concern itself with a lot of foregin issues , it is almost a continent onto itself...

A little better rounded perhaps but smarter I would dispute.

Good post.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:02 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
In the UK, the Govt is voted in to do a job........... The Brits allow the Govt to do the job they were voted in to do but do not rush to judgement before the Prime Minister has even walked through the door of no10... not like here where we were being told how Obama had failed before he was even in te Whitehouse....... pitiful really.
To say that the UK often has riots is absurd...... it doesn't.
The Brits look at Govt as the democratically elected law makers and yes we trust who we pick otherwise why vote for them. If the Govt does something that the British public object to they can then demonstrate and show no faith in the Govt. and indeed bring it to a end as was the case with Maggie Thatcher......... she lost all credibility and resigned before she was kicked out. She passed a bad tax... the Brits demonstrated and the tax was repealed.The Brits do not see the Govt as a parent but to get democracy and freedom, certain sacrifices must be made. The Brits understand that the good of ALL comes before the good of the few...... that is the big difference between the UK and present day America...... in America the good of the wealthy comes before the good of all.... not good huh and it shows.

No. Brits are largely clueless about what is going on in politics. The book "what's the matter with Kansas" could easily apply to Britain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies