Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2012, 12:00 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times

Advertisements

Iowa Republican mistakenly speaks at Democratic convention

Thought this light-hearted story might bring a few chuckles to BOTH sides. In all honesty, I'm NOT criticising the GOP speaker. Considering the short time between the 2 different conventions I can see how the mistake could happen - especially if he was unaware that the Democrats were appearing there 1st. In any event it sounds like everyone got a good chuckle out of it and everyone one was a good sport. There should be MORE of that.

Iowa Republican mistakenly speaks at Democratic convention | Offbeat | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-14-2012 at 01:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 12:35 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,012,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

Thought this light-hearted story might bring a few chuckles to BOTH sides. In all honesty, I'm NOT criticising the GOP speaker. Considering the short time between the 2 different convention I can see how the mistake could happen - especially if he was unaware that the Democrats were appearing there 1st. In any event it sounds like everyone got a good chuckle out of it and everyone one was a good sport. There should be MORE of that.

Iowa Republican mistakenly speaks at Democratic convention | Offbeat | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Ken

That's funny! How nice that everyone was gracious...we truly do need tons more of that. I can relate...I was a cheerleader in h.s. and none of us could make head nor tails of football. More than once we'd be yelling,
"Push 'em back," and someone in the stands would yell, "WE'VE got the ball!" I still haven't figured it out, but my NCAA bracket is filled out so I'm not a total loss. Thanks for sharing a "big grin" story!

Old 03-14-2012, 01:03 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post

That's funny! How nice that everyone was gracious...we truly do need tons more of that. I can relate...I was a cheerleader in h.s. and none of us could make head nor tails of football. More than once we'd be yelling,
"Push 'em back," and someone in the stands would yell, "WE'VE got the ball!" I still haven't figured it out, but my NCAA bracket is filled out so I'm not a total loss. Thanks for sharing a "big grin" story!
That's a pretty cute story too - reminds me of the final game of George Plimton's Paper Lion - where Plimton FINALLY gets a chance to play with the Detriot Lions - only to get turned around while running the ball and ends up going the wrong way - with his own team trying to tackle him and the opponants blocking for him. Toooooooo funny!

Ken

Old 03-14-2012, 01:42 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times
Quote:

Thought this light-hearted story might bring a few chuckles to BOTH sides. In all honesty, I'm NOT criticising the GOP speaker. Considering the short time between the 2 different conventions I can see how the mistake could happen - especially if he was unaware that the Democrats were appearing there 1st. In any event it sounds like everyone got a good chuckle out of it and everyone one was a good sport. There should be MORE of that.

Ken
I bet folks in the audience were wondering what the hell this guy was talking about? LOL. Or on another note if they agreed with him what does that say about paritsan politics?? I'll have to look this up. I live in Iowa but hadn't heard about it.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
That's a pretty cute story too - reminds me of the final game of George Plimton's Paper Lion - where Plimton FINALLY gets a chance to play with the Detriot Lions - only to get turned around while running the ball and ends up going the wrong way - with his own team trying to tackle him and the opponants blocking for him. Toooooooo funny!

Ken

I remember that movie...think I read the book first. I loved "The Out of Towners"....the first time I visited NYC I was afraid the trip would be like that!

@KUchief, So glad you responded; things are much better and more constructive when we try being civil, yes?

Old 03-14-2012, 02:55 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,365,792 times
Too funny!

Maybe this should be a requirement in politics!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:56 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I remember that movie...think I read the book first. I loved "The Out of Towners"....the first time I visited NYC I was afraid the trip would be like that!

@KUchief, So glad you responded; things are much better and more constructive when we try being civil, yes?
I'm always civil. Maybe my interpretation of civil is different than others.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:58 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,103,127 times
Quote:

Ken

It sounds like the audience was pretty good natured about the boo boo.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:05 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times
Funny story indeed!

Reminds me of Mark Twain's brother, Orion. According to Twain, his brother changed political parties like other people changed hats (back in those simple times).

So, for one town election Orion was to give a speech on behalf of the (let us say) Democrats.

While working up his speech, in which he lambasts the (let us say) Republicans, Orion is approached by some Republican friends, who request his help in making some anti-Democratic signs. Orion, who was very good at this, put on his Republican hat and made up a few dozen placards for his friends to carry. Orion then put his Democrat hat back on, and when back to work on his speech.

Twain wrote that it was a very enjoyable speech, watching his brother at the lecturn blasting the Republicans, while the Republicans were out in the audience holding up derogatory anti-Democratic signs made by Orion.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I'm always civil. Maybe my interpretation of civil is different than others.
No doubt about it! But isn't life just a bit less stressful when we "talk" to one another nicely, even when we disagree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies