Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:02 AM

266 posts, read 179,858 times

Advertisements

That was said at the end of the Film "Game Change". Do you think he is onto something with this. Do you think Limbaugh will destroy the Republican party?

The exact quote was: "Don’t get co-opted by Limbaugh and the other extremists. You’ll destroy the party if you let them."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:04 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
It's a Hollywood Movie.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:05 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Regardless of whether or not that comment actually happened in real life, I think your question is a good one. Do I think the far right extremists are damaging the party? Yes. Do I think it's all on Limbaugh's shoulders? No. I think the party is due for a big housecleaning though. That doesn't mean it's been destroyed, but we're going to have to get the religious right back in a box where they belong and rebuild. Republicans have been most successful when they've been the common sense party of main street.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
The extreme right is sinking the GOP. Just look at the clown show going on now with the GOP presidential race. The Limbaughs, Becks, fox news and other extreme right outlets have brainwashed their easily mislead goons so far to the right, it's going to cost them the presidential election and many more to come until they return back to sanity.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:16 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
The GOP has been moving left ever since Reagan. Just look at the nominees since 1984: HW Bush, Dole, W Bush, McCain, Romney. Four out of four are moderate, 'big government conservatives.' I am hard pressed to think of any 'extremists' in the Goldwater/Reagan mold even in primaries. Probably Phil Gramm and Steve Forbes in 1996, possibly Cain & Gary Johnson, and you could throw in Ron Paul of course.

The people like the poster just prior have it exactly backwards.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:26 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Regardless of whether or not that comment actually happened in real life, I think your question is a good one. Do I think the far right extremists are damaging the party? Yes. Do I think it's all on Limbaugh's shoulders? No. I think the party is due for a big housecleaning though. That doesn't mean it's been destroyed, but we're going to have to get the religious right back in a box where they belong and rebuild. Republicans have been most successful when they've been the common sense party of main street.
I'm not a Republican, but I agree with this. If the GOP were still the party of GHWB and Bob Dole, I would probably be voting Republican in most elections these days. As it is, I don't see myself voting for the GOP for a very long time, if at all. The party is too beholden to its wingnut elements.

Everytime this comment is made, folks shout -- but the Democrats! The Democrats have their wingnuts too -- the hardcore peacniks, Marxists, feminists (not women who support full and equal rights.. they're cool... I'm talking about those use words like "patriarchy"), etc. Those elements are very small these days and shrink with each passing year, as more boomers slip off into the great beyond. The inmates are not running the asylum in the Democratic Party though. Bill Clinton, the centrist -- the Eisenhower Democrat -- built the modern party. For all of the jibber jabber about Obama being the most far left president we've had since FDR, he relies heavily upon the same middle-of-the-road people Clinton groomed and put into positions of power.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:17 AM

266 posts, read 179,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The comment was mentioned by the operations chief of the McCain campaign Steve Schmidt. It was mentioned in the book Game Change as well. I don't think campaign strategists of the McCain campaign would make stuff up.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whateverhere View Post
The comment was mentioned by the operations chief of the McCain campaign Steve Schmidt. It was mentioned in the book Game Change as well. I don't think campaign strategists of the McCain campaign would make stuff up.
The show was well researched. The comment is very much in keeping with McCain's overall tenor. McCain is one of the last of Mohicans who remembers the party back when the mainstream told the wingnuts to get in line, not the other way around.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:28 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
McCain's "party" needs to be destroyed. It is getting in the way of a conservative tsunami that this country was founded on.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
McCain's "party" needs to be destroyed. It is getting in the way of a conservative tsunami that this country was founded on.
You think our country was founded on a conservative tsunami? I think our revolution was quite liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies