Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 01:13 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,189 times

Advertisements

So what do you think?

"Even in humdrum nonpolitical decisions, liberals and conservatives literally think differently, researchers show.

By Denise Gellene, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
September 10, 2007

Exploring the neurobiology of politics, scientists have found that liberals tolerate ambiguity and conflict better than conservatives because of how their brains work.

In a simple experiment reported today in the journal Nature Neuroscience, scientists at New York University and UCLA show that political orientation is related to differences in how the brain processes information.

Previous psychological studies have found that conservatives tend to be more structured and persistent in their judgments whereas liberals are more open to new experiences. The latest study found those traits are not confined to political situations but also influence everyday decisions.

The results show "there are two cognitive styles -- a liberal style and a conservative style," said UCLA neurologist Dr. Marco Iacoboni, who was not connected to the latest research.

Moderator cut: copyright

Study finds left-wing brain, right-wing brain - Los Angeles Times

Last edited by jco; 09-11-2007 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
So what do you think?

Analyzing the data, Sulloway said liberals were 4.9 times as likely as conservatives to show activity in the brain circuits that deal with conflicts
I don't think this is anything new, we all know liberals tend to knee jerk react over things more or simply think RUN!!!!!

(OK folks, I am having fun here, it is a joke)

Old 09-11-2007, 09:13 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,166,323 times
This is almost the same thing as saying that artists and engineers think and perceive life differently.

Liberals, from my limited experience, have been more feeling based. Liberals tend to "care" about issues and how they relate to people.

Conservatives, from my limited experience, tend to make their opinions based on "facts." Whereas to say that a conservative would rather want cold-hard facts related to an issue.

Now, this is just from my limited experience and perception of the world. There are probably a lot of exceptions.. but this is just how I perceive things.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
This is almost the same thing as saying that artists and engineers think and perceive life differently.

Liberals, from my limited experience, have been more feeling based. Liberals tend to "care" about issues and how they relate to people.

Conservatives, from my limited experience, tend to make their opinions based on "facts." Whereas to say that a conservative would rather want cold-hard facts related to an issue.
Not-so-subtle spin.

You make a fair point in there, but the way you articulate it is a little humorous.

It seems that people who gravitate towards what's considered a "liberal" view tend to be more accepting of doubt, nuance, ambiguity, uncertainty, and change.

Those that align themselves with a more conservative view seem to be more certain, decided, binary (yes/no, black/white), and resistant to change.

But there is an entertaining discussion on "fact" - a lot of recent research and academic writing would suggest that "fact" is an ambiguous proposition in itself, and becomes more a matter of narrative. Some of the better philosophers and scientists of the last century tackled this issue.

But yeah, I'd say conservatives are more stringent on "facts," whereas a liberal would be more skeptical of those "facts." The scare-quote is important here.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:47 AM

134 posts, read 519,504 times
Quote:
Those that align themselves with a more conservative view seem to be more certain, decided, binary (yes/no, black/white), and resistant to change.

But yeah, I'd say conservatives are more stringent on "facts," whereas a liberal would be more skeptical of those "facts." The scare-quote is important here.
I like to think of it more as conservatives are more sure of their "binary" decisions and ideologies, which is many times mistakenly identified as "resistant to change", and are then skeptical of change just for change sake, or maybe recognize a proposed liberal change as something other than the stated purpose. Seeing through an ideology is what each side of the equation claim the ability to do.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:51 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
I read the article yesterday in our local paper. First off, the sample size was very small, and not statistically projectable. Second, the difference in response wasn't so different to be statistically meaningful. Finally, the screening of the folks and their political attitude was self description, not an objective sorting of the participants.

Typical garbage analysis.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Dave View Post
I like to think of it more as conservatives are more sure of their "binary" decisions and ideologies, which is many times mistakenly identified as "resistant to change", and are then skeptical of change just for change sake, or maybe recognize a proposed liberal change as something other than the stated purpose. Seeing through an ideology is what each side of the equation claim the ability to do.
Fair enough.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I read the article yesterday in our local paper. First off, the sample size was very small, and not statistically projectable. Second, the difference in response wasn't so different to be statistically meaningful. Finally, the screening of the folks and their political attitude was self description, not an objective sorting of the participants.

Typical garbage analysis.
Yeah, the posting was half tongue-in-cheek. I was hoping someone would call out the methodology of the study.

I've heard similar results from similar tests, though - I'm just interested in the connection between modes of thought and neurobiology; I find it a fascinating area of inquiry.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:36 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
Quote:
Yeah, the posting was half tongue-in-cheek. I was hoping someone would call out the methodology of the study.

I've heard similar results from similar tests, though - I'm just interested in the connection between modes of thought and neurobiology; I find it a fascinating area of inquiry.
I think any legitimate analysis, independently verifiable, on the subject of how we think is fascinating. The issue of genetics vs environment, and how we process to draw our conclusions and points of view are always insightful.

This was just junk, it never should have been published by the national media.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:27 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
I'm not sure liberals and conservatives can even agree on what the definition of "information" is----let alone on how it should be "processed"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies