Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:10 AM

409 posts, read 254,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Your post inspired me to look up the following information. Not really related to the topic, but it was interesting: Average IQ in US and 80 other nations
This site seems to have pulled their data out of thin air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
This site seems to have pulled their data out of thin air.
It seems like that until you read it and click through. Then it seems like they pulled the data from some sort of (unexplained) tests. You have to assume that research professors at a university are peer reviewed before they are published. I'm sure if you read the publication, you can find out details of the study.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:10 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It seems like that until you read it and click through. Then it seems like they pulled the data from some sort of (unexplained) tests. You have to assume that research professors at a university are peer reviewed before they are published. I'm sure if you read the publication, you can find out details of the study.
Not sure how they relate tests across different nations, a test geared to western society would give am advantage to someone in that society. Someone unfamiliar with our culture, our society would not score as high. But that isn't the point.

Within any socoety, have of the people will be at or below average. You cannot expect those on the lower end to have the same abilities as those at the top end. Some people are never going to achieve without help.

Old 03-23-2012, 01:15 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoTex View Post
Excellent point. Talk to someone who started at the bottom and try to learn how they moved up- they actually know that it's possible as well as how it's done............
But that's HARD!

Old 03-23-2012, 03:40 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I thank my Lord for having enabled me to be a provider. I provide gladly for those who are unable to provide for themselves.
As do most of us. That's not unusual at all.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:00 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,981 times
We all know it's better to give a man a fishing-pole than to give him a fish. Yet conservatives often argue against funding education, not just food! Let's not divert the debate to "Welfare Mamas." Let's talk about why right-wingers want Welfare Mama's children to be uneducated.

Dick Cheney was one of many who voted to defund Head Start, despite that it pays for itself just with reduced cost of juvenile crime prosecution. It's facts like this that lead some of us to conclude that some "conservatives" are not just interested in saving tax dollars: their goals require a society with an uneducated underclass. (I'm sure many "conservatives" read this and think "No, no, that's not me!" Precisely! Your political choice is being twisted by cynics like Cheney.)

Public input is mandatory for desireable market operation. It's amazing that so many "conservatives" don't understand this. Wouldn't gas companies be happy to sell cheaper leaded gasoline if they could? A cost-conscious consumer would be delighted to buy it; after all his children would breathe only a billionth of the fumes; it's fumes from the billion other drivers that's a problem. (When Cheney announced that, in effect, pollution control should be a matter of "individual morality", I wasn't sure if he was being extremely stupid or extremely cynical. Does anyone in this thread believe that Cheneyism?)

(Some conservatives (and liberals) will reject the preceding paragraph, preferring the Golden Rule. That might be an interesting separate thread, but the bottom-line is that societies cannot rely on the Golden Rule.)

I wish "libertarians" would grasp that absolute "liberty" is impossible. My liberty to walk streets unafraid counters your liberty to carry a gun. My liberty to enjoy beautiful parks counters your liberty to litter. My liberty not to pay taxes counters your liberty to feel secure with police and military protection. My liberty to build substandardly counters your liberty to live in a fire-proof building. And so on.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:18 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Sadly, a lot of well-meaning but clueless people think of themselves as being in the "provider" class, not realizing they are often a job loss or medical emergency away from sliding quickly into the "recipient" class ... and all the while, the 1% (and none of them are on C-D) are defecating on the rest of us.

No kidding. I hope none of these "providers" ever get laid off from their jobs. Well now that is not exactly true

Old 07-09-2012, 04:50 PM

27,137 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I thank my Lord for having enabled me to be a provider. I provide gladly for those who are unable to provide for themselves.

That's great, anything beyond what is taken from you.
The kind of "provider" in the OP is not giving, it's redistribution of wealth under force and threat.

In other words Robin Hood is in town.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:58 PM

27,137 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I spend most of my income buying necessities. These necessities are sold at a profit for the owners of the businesses. Therefore I am having a portion of the money I spend transferred from me, a 99%er, to the owning 1%ers. That makes me a provider and them a recipient. Then there is the fact that I pay much of my limited income as taxes whilst multimillionaires pay at a much lower rate on their effectively unlimited income. Thus I am a provider to the government and they are recipients.

I am certain the OP was trying to chastise the poor as “recipients” while “proper” people like him were “providers”. Indeed, he might be a “provider” but the biggest recipients are big business.

No, you got something for your money, you didn't give anything away.
Also part of what you have taken from your income goes to the government that in turn gives it to someone else.

The owner's of the business also employ people that trade their services to the company in return for their income.

Everyone that works does it for a "profit".

Old 07-09-2012, 05:02 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
No, you got something for your money, you didn't give anything away.
Also part of what you have taken from your income goes to the government that in turn gives it to someone else.

The owner's of the business also employ people that trade their services to the company in return for their income.

Everyone that works does it for a "profit".
It goes both ways. We are all providers and recipients (at least all of us working folk).

Workers provide employers with labor. Employers can't run businesses on their own.

Employers provide employees with income.

Consumers provide businesses with income which goes to the owners.

We're all dependent on each other. The sooner we all realize that, the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies