Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think you make some good points, but I am amused by the image of people being born with silver spoons in their mouths growing up to be gun-totin- truck drivers.
You know what's funny
- I drive a pickup truck (and YES I use it to haul trees, compost, construction debris etc)
- I own several rifles and me not a bad shot (the guns stay on the rack in the basement)
- I'm more or less white (half middle eastern)

grew up dirt poor and got a PhD in engineering which has served me well careerwise.

I'm left of center on most issues but right on several - don't fit neatly into any pigeonhole I guess.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:50 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I think you make some good points, but I am amused by the image of people being born with silver spoons in their mouths growing up to be gun-totin- truck drivers.
Yes, because it's a well known fact that the kids of affluent people are vastly less likely to finish highschool and go on to get degrees.

That's why Detroit has a 25% highschool graduation rate, bunch of rich kids there.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:53 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
You know what's funny
- I drive a pickup truck (and YES I use it to haul trees, compost, construction debris etc)
- I own several rifles and me not a bad shot (the guns stay on the rack in the basement)

grew up dirt poor and got a PhD in engineering which has served me well careerwise.

I'm left of center on most issues but right on several - don't fit neatly into any pigeonhole I guess.
People rarely do.

Quote:
You know what's funny

Sounds like you live in a rural area, which explains a lot in terms of running into uneducated redneck republicans which is skewing your view.

I suggest moving to the west side of Chicago and reporting back on the masses of highly educated, intelligent democrats you find there.

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
It's b/c of what college offers students: exposure.

When you're surrounded by what you grew up with and rarely get challenged on their opinions by opposing views or reality, you develop a myopic view of the world. Anyone challenging those ideas is challenging the foundations of their world view.

College students get exposed to many different walks of life, exposed to real people, real situations. The Voter ID controversy is case in point. Conservatives can't understand how someone can't have an ID, so they list all the leisurely activities that THEY do that require an ID. "How can you not have an ID when you need it for the gun club?!"

Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 AM

4,154 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Quote:
GOP is usually someone who was born with a silver spoon in their mouth, whereas Democrats who are born poor only have education as an option to bootstrap themselves up out of poverty.
Great!! If this is the case, then we shouldn't t have this rich and poor mumbo jumbo non-sense against rich people. Last I check GOP account to almost 50% of the country. Democrats another 50% and some undecided.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:00 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Most of it I'm sure reflects that those that are intelligent, know that GOP policies almost always are monumental disasters, as to why they support the democrats. The GOP thrives on hate and ignorance.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
It's b/c of what college offers students: exposure.

When you're surrounded by what you grew up with and rarely get challenged on their opinions by opposing views or reality, you develop a myopic view of the world. Anyone challenging those ideas is challenging the foundations of their world view.

College students get exposed to many different walks of life, exposed to real people, real situations. The Voter ID controversy is case in point. Conservatives can't understand how someone can't have an ID, so they list all the leisurely activities that THEY do that require an ID. "How can you not have an ID when you need it for the gun club?!"
SAY WHAT? Your college ID is required for class registration, entering most school facilities, meal plans, computer centers and much much more.

While some of what you say is valid, overall I disagree. My niece attends college where she now only socializes with people that share her worldviews. If anything she is growning less open-minded because you can select a college, a program at the college and what classes to attend and completely isolate yourself from the variety of individuals you may have crossed paths with in your youth. I've met highly educated liberals and conservatives that are utterly closed minded because they hit age 18 and have isolated themselves to a comfortable environment ever since.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Most of it I'm sure reflects that those that are intelligent, know that GOP policies almost always are monumental disasters, as to why they support the democrats. The GOP thrives on hate and ignorance.
Stop fertilizing the GOP tree then.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:05 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Here's another related question: why is it that so many Democrats, even with all of their college degrees, commit the logical fallacy of 'begging the question,' i.e. assuming to be true that which is to be proven.
http://www.skepdic.com/begging.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies