Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 03:05 PM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
If they do that how can they graduate? Eventually you will have to take classes with people with different veiws and beliefs than yourself. rick "church lady" santorum went to Penn State and as a alumni myself I realize that you cannot truely isolate what you take from what you believe and still graduate with a marketable degree. Most of the beliefs that people have endeared for so long comes from their parents and people that are close to them. College exposes other beliefs and ideas but it rarely changes you, because you normally go back home to the same old things that you grew up believing
I respectfully disagree.

College of the Atlantic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regent University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The same came be done by attending major universities and then hiding out in say....the womens studies program at Berkley or certain right-leaning schools business depts.

This is where young minds of a certain bent go to finish the hardening process and it does NOT make them open minded.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:10 PM

912 posts, read 1,329,721 times
I don't have a degree .I try and pick the best candidate from all that are available.Regardless,of the political party.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:10 PM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
I don't have a degree .I try and pick the best candidate from all that are available.Regardless,of the political party.
^^^Ditto. I'm an issues voter than hates being lied too.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:17 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,807,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
I'm not judging, I'm just curious for an answer. I was reading this article in the LA Times this morning:

Poll: Primary battle has hurt GOP's image among young, non-whites - latimes.com

Maybe it correlates with religion. I'm guessing, but it seems those without college degrees are more likely to be evangelical, and thus identify with Republicans on social issues.

Probably more accurate to state that those who work in private industry in position of responsibility, the military and related national defense duties and have college degrees vote Republican. Those who have college degrees and work in academia/education, the government(save above), or in private industry but believe themselves cheated by their seniors or in dead-end jobs in the table of organization vote Democrat.

Then I would state those who do not have college degrees and never expect to move upward in status beyond what they currently are vote Democrat. Those who do not have college degrees but believe they will lead successful lives due to their own efforts will vote Republican.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:31 PM

417 posts, read 364,827 times
I'm a republican with a college degree in accounting... working towards getting a second degree in nursing, which might seem like a waste to many monetarily but I decided towards the end of my accounting program I wanted to be a nurse, and rather than switch majors I'd just go back.

I'm not, however, a social issues or a one-issue voter like many republicans AND democrats alike. I simply disagree with the democrats view on how the economy should be run as far as enacting legislation and creating policies that are too far Keynesian. Laissez-faire (sp?) isn't perfect either obviously, but businesses and households should run their finances how they like without government interference. I agree though that Keynesian economics should play a role to create some level of "fairness" and obviously as we saw in the 2008 financial crisis, government intervention is sometimes needed. I just don't believe government should overstep their boundaries.

As far as God, gays, guns, and all other social issues, let the people decide and keep that **** off my TV. I don't care what your opinion is on it and the candidates who espouse the most of their garbage relating to social issues (Santorum) are the ones I'm least likely to vote for. I'm casting my vote for Romney because despite his political pandering to the base of dumb redneck conservatives, I know he is truly an economics guy and will run this country like it should be run, as a business.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:33 PM

409 posts, read 253,833 times
Every single person I know that has a college degree from Bachelors to PHD and they all vote straight Republican. This article is based in fantasy.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
Every single person I know that has a college degree from Bachelors to PHD and they all vote straight Republican. This article is based in fantasy.

Most people with degrees in the sciences, business, other more technical fields will probably vote republican because they are higher income earners and people who go for those degrees tend to be focused on other criteria in life. People with liberal arts degrees will probably be more liberal because again, their brains tend to think in different ways. Neither/or is right or wrong, just different. The gentle tug of war between liberal policies and conservative policies is healthy for a country, I would never want republicans or democrats to maintain too much power for too long.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:38 PM

566 posts, read 956,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
As I said about the other guy, you're a Republican and most likely 85%+ of the people you know and associate with are Republicans. Most conservatives don't hang around with liberals and vice versa.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
As I said about the other guy, you're a Republican and most likely 85%+ of the people you know and associate with are Republicans. Most conservatives don't hang around with liberals and vice versa.
I hang out with liberals and conservatives, and agree/disagree with both groups on a regular basis. I know liberals with degrees in business and conservatives with degrees in the arts/theatre. People are so quick to paint broad brushes... it's truly counter-productive. There isn't always a right or wrong answer in politics, political thought, sociology, etc. But there is a tug of war, which is healthy.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,218,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
I'm not judging, I'm just curious for an answer. I was reading this article in the LA Times this morning:

Poll: Primary battle has hurt GOP's image among young, non-whites - latimes.com

Maybe it correlates with religion. I'm guessing, but it seems those without college degrees are more likely to be evangelical, and thus identify with Republicans on social issues.
Most colleges and universities heavily promote a liberal worldview. I'm sure that has quite a bit to do with it. Also, more educated people generally identify with the Democrats more on social issues, especially gay marriage, and are more likely to be atheist. One reason young people are so liberal is because of their disdain for the religious right that is at the core of the Republican party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.