Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 01:05 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times

Advertisements

Looks like Southern Mississippi doesn't mess around with ignorant punks in their school.

Quote:
School president Martha Saunders announced Tuesday that five band members have had their scholarships revoked, have been removed from the band and will have to complete a two-hour cultural sensitivity training course this week. None of the names of the band members were revealed.
Southern Mississippi punishes band members for ignorant chant | The Dagger: College Basketball Blog - Yahoo! Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 01:07 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,392,657 times
Toss out the POS students. I'm glad they revoked their scholarships, too. racial taunts are pretty much grounds for dismissal, whether it be school or employment.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
MS is chanting the right thing aka "resist illegal immigration" but way too late. they let sunami of illegals come in for the last 15 years. jackson MS greyhound station was so crowded with them at 3am u could not get a seat. (personal experience more than once btw i speak fluent spanish they were not swedish tourists studing spanish we talked for hours)
MS got the right idea--- resist illegal immigration-- but they are a tad late.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times
Default Southern Miss band members lose scholarships over racist chant

"A university investigation determined which five band member chanted “Where’s your green card?” at Kansas State point guard Angel Rodriguez on Friday as he prepared to shoot his free throws."

Southern Miss band members lose scholarships over racist chant | The Raw Story

Ignorance has no bounds.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:25 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
What is racist about this? I think it is a legitamate question. They didn't know he was from Puerto Rico. If the guy had been a white guy from Russia - i would want to know where his green card was too.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:25 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,223 times
Exactly. Censorship is good for America.

What are they learning there in Hattiesburg?

Censorship is Good for America

Old 03-20-2012, 10:36 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
This is so wrong. Big deal, they asked for his green card. These kids lose scholarships for something they didn't know was a punishment offense.
These are college kids.

Political Correctness or Censorship, be careful what you say. Today it may be alright, tomorrow it may be wrong.

For his part, Rodriguez, a native of Puerto Rico, brushed off the offensive chant.
“I heard it,” he said. “I don’t pay attention to that nonsense, especially because
Puerto Rico is a commonwealth, so we don’t need no type of papers.”
Even the kid brushed it off, didn't bother him.

The thought police are out there. Lenin would be so proud.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:37 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Knee jerk reaction of the Liberal Type. I thought they had more guts than that down in Mississippi?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:52 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
What the band members said was silly but I don't think it warrants the loss of their scholarships.

[next time, just yell, "Air ball...!"]

Old 03-21-2012, 03:43 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
"A university investigation determined which five band member chanted “Where’s your green card?” at Kansas State point guard Angel Rodriguez on Friday as he prepared to shoot his free throws."

Southern Miss band members lose scholarships over racist chant | The Raw Story

Ignorance has no bounds.
HA! And consequences!

I'm not even going to dignify the morons responding in this thread making excuses for their behavior. I guess some white folks can't handle the concept of decency or sportsmanship. Quick someone print up poor put upon troll persecution t-shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies