Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 05:59 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
German population 81 mil USA population legal citizens 300 mil then add the illegals who drain the system.
Germany doesn't have immigrants and illegals? That's news to me.

Can you provide proof of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 05:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I'm not really on either side of the equation, because I can accept the pros and cons of both sides. I'm not sure how something like this would work if implemented into our system.

I think the biggest impediment to this is simply timing. I wouldn't vouch for UHC in the middle of the second worse financial crises in our country's history. Perhaps when we're back in the green, maybe.

either way, it's disingenuous to suggest that Germany's system will work. Germany currently has something like a 4-5% unemployment rate and they do have UHC. Greece also has it and has triple the UE rate. Just "sticking it in" there doesn't mean that our current financial situation will mimic Germany's.
A true single payer HCS will work anywhere regardless of unemployment rate unless we're talking about half the population not working. The Germans have made it as simple as making a hot dog.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post

They have TONS of immigrants and "illegals." He'll never be able to provide you proof otherwise.

Besides, having immigrants and illegals has nothing to do with the effectiveness of single payer health coverage. That's just a right wing talking point.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:04 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
A true single payer HCS will work anywhere regardless of unemployment rate unless we're talking about half the population not working. The Germans have made it as simple as making a hot dog.
A single payer program is probably the worst way to approach the matter given the current financial situation and UE problem. If enough people aren't employed and just continue to "take" along with the other social services, I don't see how it could improve the matter. All this fuzzy wuzzy math just doesn't seem to add up. My advice? Get us back in the green--then let's talk freebees again.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:05 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post

Tiny compared to the US.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/gm.html

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/us.html

Old 03-17-2012, 06:06 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
They have TONS of immigrants and "illegals." He'll never be able to provide you proof otherwise.

Besides, having immigrants and illegals has nothing to do with the effectiveness of single payer health coverage. That's just a right wing talking point.

Of course illegal immigrant have a huge impact on healthcare. They do not pay for it yet use our resources.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Of course illegal immigrant have a huge impact on healthcare. They do not pay for it yet use our resources.
We're talking about single payer healthcare here....everyone would have to pay in. Even illegals (assuming that they work).

Old 03-17-2012, 06:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
German population 81 mil USA population legal citizens 300 mil then add the illegals who drain the system.
Ah, Germany has 1 million illegal immigrants who are allowed access to Germany's healthcare system.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:10 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:

I am a she

Old 03-17-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
A single payer program is probably the worst way to approach the matter given the current financial situation and UE problem. If enough people aren't employed and just continue to "take" along with the other social services, I don't see how it could improve the matter. All this fuzzy wuzzy math just doesn't seem to add up. My advice? Get us back in the green--then let's talk freebees again.
I'm not talking about the whole UE...i'm talking about Germany.

I'm not saying that you do what they do line for line. I'm saying that we're in a unique position to take the best of everyone's system...including our own, and make something unique for our nation. But what we're doing NOW is bankrupting the system. So it's unconscionable to continue doing it just because we're presently in the red. That's assbackwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies