Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 10:43 PM

33,506 posts, read 18,029,913 times

Advertisements

Oh come on.. we don't need an executive order to cover all food , water and the like.. we have had natural disasters forever.. so why now??

hear no evil , see not evil, ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 10:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,171,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
More silly BS for the ignorant and uninformed.

The dollar is STRONGER now than it was when Obama came into office.

United States Dollar Index (DXY)

Ken
Can you deal with any of the rest of the OP link? For instance, my state representative told me one wee ago today that his house has reasoned that our state will have to cut some things drastically. In 2014 when Obamacare goes into effect they will have to spend 45% off their budget on Medicaid and that has to happen because federal law says they must. Right now they spend about 60% of the budget on education since NCLB demanded that they do so to stay with federal law. You can see that in 2014 either they refuse to spend what is mandated on Medicaid or they cut what is spent on education. Oh yes, we are very near complete death of the state governments. I guess Obama would like that though, huh.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:49 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,949,739 times
Quote:
Oh bunk.
The order is there in case of national emergencies - you know, like terrorists getting a hold of a nuclear bomb.
Your rights aren't going anywhere.

Ken
National emergency can be economic collapse or can be civil unrest in major cities ... both are predicted for this summer ... or sooner

Old 03-17-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Can you deal with any of the rest of the OP link? For instance, my state representative told me one wee ago today that his house has reasoned that our state will have to cut some things drastically. In 2014 when Obamacare goes into effect they will have to spend 45% off their budget on Medicaid and that has to happen because federal law says they must. Right now they spend about 60% of the budget on education since NCLB demanded that they do so to stay with federal law. You can see that in 2014 either they refuse to spend what is mandated on Medicaid or they cut what is spent on education. Oh yes, we are very near complete death of the state governments. I guess Obama would like that though, huh.
Obama now owns our bodies through healthcare, owns the water and the food, owns the energy and owns us . Fortunately I have the means to stock up on everything.

Nice transformation from Obama. All with executive orders and arm twisting.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
So WHAT?
Gold is a commodity - that's it. It goes up and it goes DOWN - as was the case in 1980 when gold CRASHED - and stayed at the same price for 25 years. When it FINALLY sinks in to you folks that the dollar is NOT going to collapse gold will PLUMMIT. The only thing bolstering gold up now is the EXPECTION (and a WRONG expectation at that) that the dollar will collapse. Instead, the dollar is stronger now than it was 3 years ago.

The whole "priced in gold" nonsense is just that - NONSENSE.

Ken
If the dollar is so damned strong why does it buy less today than it did 3 years ago? Groceries, gasoline, clothing and on and on. I guess there hasn't been any inflation in that period either.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,249,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Oh come on.. we don't need an executive order to cover all food , water and the like.. we have had natural disasters forever.. so why now??
Because the scale of an event along the lines of what happened in Japan this last year would DWARF any nature disaster we've ever had - and we are NOT prepared for it. Until recently we'd never seen what such an event could do - for the simple reason that that'd been no such events in any major population areas in modern history. Now, in the last few years we've seen TWO major tsunami events. The one in the Indian Ocean killed 225,000+ people and the Japan tsunami killed nearly 20,000 people. We have NEVER had an event of that scale - EVER. Now, we're realizing that it could very EASILY happen here. Do you have ANY IDEA how low the Gulf Coast States are - and just how far inland a major tsunami would reach - how far up the Mississippi it would reach - how MANY people would die? IT would make previous disaster here pale in comparison.

Ken

Old 03-17-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
National emergency can be economic collapse or can be civil unrest in major cities ... both are predicted for this summer ... or sooner
yes, with energy prices and food prices i can see what is going to happen.. I don't like the fact that Obama can shut down food supermarkets, and control water and energy .

I can see it now. Close all stores.. we should prepare before this happens and it will..

If Obama is not elected, he may start riots complaining the election was rigged.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
If was going thru some of my aunts old books after she died and found an original copy of Superman it would be worth more than the 5 cents it originally cost too.
So what?

Like anything else, gold ONLY has the value people agree it does. There is NOTHING special about gold - NOTHING.

There is nothing fueling the rise in the value gold except the EXPECTATION that the dollar will collapse - and THAT is NOT going to happen.
What does THAT tell you about the future of the value of gold?
Gold is in a speculative bubble - and sooner or later that bubble will pop.

Ken
Am I wrong in thinking that Russia, China and some Middle Eastern countries have determined that the dollar is no longer stable enough to use in the pricing of oil?

Old 03-17-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Because the scale of an event along the lines of what happened in Japan this last year would DWARF any nature disaster we've ever had - and we are NOT prepared for it. Until recently we'd never seen what such an event could do - for the simple reason that that'd been no such events in any major population areas in modern history. Now, in the last few years we've seen TWO major tsunami events. The one in the Indian Ocean killed 225,000+ people and the Japan tsunami killed nearly 20,000 people. We have NEVER had an event of that scale - EVER. Now, we're realizing that it could very EASILY happen here. Do you have ANY IDEA how low the Gulf Coast States are - and just how far inland a major tsunami would reach - how far up the Mississippi it would reach - how MANY people would die? IT would make previous disaster here pale in comparison.

Ken
I don't like it. The states should keep the power.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:59 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,249,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
If the dollar is so damned strong why does it buy less today than it did 3 years ago? Groceries, gasoline, clothing and on and on. I guess there hasn't been any inflation in that period either.
There HAS been inflation - so what? We've had inflation now for DECADES.
It has nothing to do with the strength of the currency. The strength of a nations' currency is determined by how well it holds up against OTHER currencies. That's the DEFINITION of "Currency Strength".

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies