U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 08:48 PM

2,766 posts, read 2,302,429 times

Advertisements

Why they seem to be deliberately going backwards.

Because if you break the system, Republicans can continue to remain relevant. If you roll back progress, the fight continues. The farther Republicans roll us back in time, the more time they buy for their dying party. They want a total refresh. Before women's rights, before civil rights, before workers rights so they can keep fighting these battles forever with Democrats.

If Democrats succeed in fixing the system, Republicans become irrelevant and die. They are trying to roll back as much progress as they can - civil rights legislation, tax legislation, women's rights, voting rights, etc - because they need problems to survive.

Right now, Republicans are deliberately trying to roll back progress, to create problems, to break the system far worse than it is, so they can survive as a party.

It's disgusting and terrifying but I don't see any other logic to it than that. They are literally trying to break the country and they know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 08:57 PM

6,396 posts, read 4,409,984 times
Really? I want some of whatever you are smoking. The last 3 years has seen us accumulate more debt than any single president in 8 years has accomplished.

We haven't progressed. The first two years Obama was president, he got every single thing he wanted, hands down, and we sank and went backwards in every single thing that counted.

As for women's rights, have NOT seen anything that moves them backwards. Civil rights, same thing. Voting rights, still not an issue, in fact all the republican's have asked for was an accountability in the system, either ID of some sort, or something. When districts are casting more votes, then they have registered voters, something is wrong.

But you keep believing whatever it is you believe.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:00 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,668,383 times
and I thought they were just trying to keep us from going Bankrupt

Old 03-17-2012, 09:01 PM

10,783 posts, read 11,855,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
and I thought they were just trying to keep us from going Bankrupt
No, they are trying to destroy the nation and turn it in a far right corporatist/fascist reign.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,337,706 times
Shank, let me help you out of your terror and disgust. The Democrats do not have it in them to fix the system with programs. Neither do Republicans. America's history of greatness is the story of a free people, making their own decisions, being rewarded for virtues, being of service to the rest of society by providing desired goods and services--at a profit. The only way back is to put freedom first again.

Your straw man arguments about Republicans are a caricature of reality. Few want to roll back women's rights; few want to roll back civil rights for minorities. What we want is the rights of a free people restored to all.

Remember when it was legal to simply pay out-of-pocket for routine, recurring medical expenses? Did you know that less oil was produced on federal lands than any time in the last eight years? Have you heard about the regulatory onslaught washing over many industries? Did you know the politicians wanted to punish a few big banks for the excesses of the downturn--and smashed the budgets of eight thousand of them with Dodd Frank?

If you are a bum, the Dem policitians love you. If you want to build a factory or a pipeline or hire people, they pound the crap out of you. People are rewarded for vices while virtues are punished. That's what it is about--not the rantings of some fringe lunatic.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:08 PM

30,473 posts, read 20,119,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Shank, let me help you out of your terror and disgust. The Democrats do not have it in them to fix the system with programs. Neither do Republicans. America's history of greatness is the story of a free people, making their own decisions, being rewarded for virtues, being of service to the rest of society by providing desired goods and services--at a profit. The only way back is to put freedom first again.

Your straw man arguments about Republicans are a caricature of reality. Few want to roll back women's rights; few want to roll back civil rights for minorities. What we want is the rights of a free people restored to all.

Remember when it was legal to simply pay out-of-pocket for routine, recurring medical expenses? Did you know that less oil was produced on federal lands than any time in the last eight years? Have you heard about the regulatory onslaught washing over many industries? Did you know the politicians wanted to punish a few big banks for the excesses of the downturn--and smashed the budgets of eight thousand of them with Dodd Frank?

If you are a bum, the Dem policitians love you. If you want to build a factory or a pipeline or hire people, they pound the crap out of you. People are rewarded for vices while virtues are punished. That's what it is about--not the rantings of some fringe lunatic.

Nice job marcopolo.

End of thread.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:14 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,515,215 times
And to marco and Darkatt's wisdom, I can only add "Hear, Hear."

But I suspect that there are more than a few out there on the fringe who just can't wait to incite a lynch mob when the bill for their delusion comes due.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:22 PM
LML

7,110 posts, read 8,120,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post

Because if you break the system, Republicans can continue to remain relevant. If you roll back progress, the fight continues. The farther Republicans roll us back in time, the more time they buy for their dying party. They want a total refresh. Before women's rights, before civil rights, before workers rights so they can keep fighting these battles forever with Democrats.

If Democrats succeed in fixing the system, Republicans become irrelevant and die. They are trying to roll back as much progress as they can - civil rights legislation, tax legislation, women's rights, voting rights, etc - because they need problems to survive.

Right now, Republicans are deliberately trying to roll back progress, to create problems, to break the system far worse than it is, so they can survive as a party.

It's disgusting and terrifying but I don't see any other logic to it than that. They are literally trying to break the country and they know it.
I think you make a lot of very valid points. They are flailing about, voting against bills that they themselves once sponsored, re-fighting wars on issues that were long ago settled, bringing up ridiculous topics through their right wing talking heads, being "for" something one day and then, when it appears that Obama would get credit for resolving that issue, being "against" it. Flailing in the dark, losing their focus, losing their honor, losing their relevance.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:43 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,904,033 times
Thanks so much, for the joke post of the day, and joke it is! I have friends over right now, reading this with me, and they too, are lol their butts off.

And one voted for Obama the first time around, she got smart?
If you have not figured out by this time, that neither party actually help us out, cannot help any of you

Bad economy
worse housing criris ever, lasting years longer then expected, and no ending in sight.,
businessess such as Sears. closing many stores and K-mart also, some book stores, i can go on, i know nothing to do with Obama, save it.

People who have lost homes, due to unemployment.
Small mom and pop businessess shutting doors because they cannot make it,
small fast food restaurants closing, Obama's spending is not what he promised, his policies suck, and he is definitely no Messiah, so pray for some new Change.
Obama loves taking credit, but cannot take anything negative about himself, and believe me there is plenty neagative about him.

Why don't we all be honest within ourselves, neither party has it in them, to fix what is broke, just admit it dang it. Neither, they are both friggin guilty. One worse then the other, Starts with a D.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:56 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,978,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post

Boy ;you talk about a stretch.One has to have progress to roll it back. But then one oly has to look when we actauly sarted seeig jb grwoth and the stock market take off. Loo at mid term when democrats loss control of congress . Loo at the confidence index since then.Loo at just what states started doing two yaars before congress started debating the deficit cuts; cuttig spending. look at what munipalities did and that they have noiw seen a redcution in debt for the first time since 1997 just annouced by federal governmwent.What you seeis that Obama has actauly blocked just what the states are doigand what local governments are doing . Then add what other Mnay democarts ike to potto the stock masrket as if its the economy. But that is what companies have doene i their worldwide operations. But if they lok they can easily see how they reacted to the situtio in Us .they nmade cuts and built cash. The cahs was held because of uncertainity from Obams polcies;otherwsie they would invest it to make more.I fact Obama polcies have discourage adding employees. 3/4 of the slow jobs growth are fro people sittig down( retiring or leaving the work market) as seen bythe work participation rate among adult age workers.Rght at 50% of adult of working age are not working nowose wh have satdown as its called for various reason are not counted in unemployemtn numbers. figures..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies