Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 05:07 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,364,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Absolute nonsense. For 20 years I taught at a school whose head of the school was a middle aged black man who always dressed in a 3 piece suit and looked as though he stepped straight from the pages of GQ magazine.

I can not tell you the number of times this fine man was stopped by the police for no reason whatsoever and humiliated or how many times some jerk who hadn't achieved a single thing in their whole life called him out of his name. When are you ever going to learn that the sickness is not in the hated but in the hater?
I've lived on this planet for 34 years now. I've been stopped by police once when I was 18 and a few years ago when I was speeding.

The stop when I was 18 would be what you would describe as a profiling stop. They were looking for a black burglary suspect in an area of town where Blacks don't really live in. I did however work in an antique store in the area. So I was stopped asked a couple questions and off I went.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:07 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,058,417 times
Quote:
Neighborhood watch has its roots in a 1960s crime surge that prompted government officials to look for inexpensive ways to bolster police effectiveness. In her 1961 book The Death and Life of Great American Cities, urban-renewal advocate Jane Jacobs argued that part of the crime problem was that people were spending more time watching television and less time sitting on their stoops or looking out their front windows. Taking a cue from Jacobs, the National Sheriffs Association launched the National Neighborhood Watch program in 1972. Coordinators in participating communities gathered their neighbors for meetings. Not all of them were interested in active patrolling; some neighborhood watches were merely intended to help people get to know their neighbors, so they could identify outsiders on community streets. (It’s important to note that George Zimmerman violated at least two long-standing rules of national neighborhood watch programs—he was armed, and he confronted Martin rather than waiting for police.)
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...se_crime_.html

Old 03-23-2012, 05:08 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,988,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post
Yea I understand the difference your talking about, I actually wear the baggy clothes and hoodies and I'm a young white male conservative. I'd probably feel threatened too having to walk past a large group of guys wearing the clothes I wear, no matter their race. Although I don't think thats the way Trayvon was dressed, in the news pictures they've shown of him, he looks like he was a pretty well dressed black teenager. It's just a sad situation, and I hope they're able to figure out what happened. Also, hopefully they make the Stand your Ground law more safe. I support folks rights to own guns legally, to protect themselves and family, and property. Just doesn't sound like this George Zimmerman would be protected under that law.
All true, but I didn't want to reference Trayvon because for the most part, I feel he is blameless to a large extent.

But a separate discussion in the media appears to be whether young black men are rightfully being profiled wearing hoodies or not...it was a big discussion on Geraldo's radio show earlier this morning.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:09 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,389,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2012/03/trayvon_martin_killing_george_zimmerman_was_part_o f_a_neighborhood_watch_do_those_actually_decrease_ crime_.html
Zimmerman was not exactly "the Guardian Angels"...

Old 03-23-2012, 05:10 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,632,840 times
Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday stood trial for the OK Corral, you don't just walk away

Old 03-23-2012, 05:10 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,389,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
All true, but I didn't want to reference Trayvon because for the most part, I feel he is blameless to a large extent.

But a separate discussion in the media appears to be whether young black men are rightfully being profiled wearing hoodies or not...it was a big discussion on Geraldo's radio show earlier this morning.
Yes I heard Geraldo's show this morning and one guy totally lost his marbles asking him if MLK, and other black people in the past who died by racist gunmen were wearing a hoody.

The hoody is not relevant at all, Geraldo is a crap stirrer.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:11 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,494,310 times
Here in the Pacific NW most winter outerwear has a hood. We get a lot of rain, umbrellas are next to useless and get lost. "If it has a hood, it's good." is common advice to those who want to know what to wear here. But, I agree, a hood that is pulled across the face gives others the feeling that the wearer is hiding something... I just wish those folks with lip rings would hide their faces.. they look icky.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:11 PM

6,453 posts, read 6,988,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The problem with that is the ones who appear "non-threatening" may be the ones who will cause you the most harm....just ask Bernie Madoff's "investors" or Jeffrey Dahmer's victims.
Possibly. But you aren't going to convince me not to notice a guy wearing a ski mask in a bank.

Like I mentioned before, nothing is really definitive until it happens; however most people make calculating decisions based on probablities. Right or wrong, it's a defense mechanism and people are going to make decisions based on their own self interest of safety.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:12 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,148,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The problem with that is the ones who appear "non-threatening" may be the ones who will cause you the most harm....just ask Bernie Madoff's "investors" or Jeffrey Dahmer's victims.

That's just dumb.

It's about profiling. Wearing certain clothing will lead to profiling. Blacks, whites and Hispanics all can't do and say the same things.

That's not fair, I know but that's life. Black men, especially younger black boyss that wear hoodies, sagging pants and fitted baseball hats are going to get profiled.

Blacks as a whole have serious image problems. The only way to stop those issues is to solve them.

Just realize, if you dress in a style that is similar to people that are societies outcasts, expect to be treated like one.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's reality. Black men from the streets dress in hoodies, so expect to be profiled, even if you're a Harvard MBA.

It happens, you can go to any college campus and see a Asian student and they'll automatically be PRECEIVED as bring smart. Is that a stereotype. Yes. All Asians are not high achievers. Asians have a history and reputation for being "smart" so therefore, if if you meet one that is just average, they'll bennefit from the stereotype.

Same holds true for black men---History and reputaation for being violent, so if you dress in such a manner, get ready to carry the load of being profiled and maybe even killed.

I've had the opportunity to manage black men and being one myself, I have to check myself because I'm starting to develop a disdain for men of my own race as result of the non productive behavior and the way in which we treat eachother.

Black men kill eachother all day every day and no one does anything, let another ethnic group do it and now it's a problem. Blacks deserve the respect we get.

Last edited by Ron.; 03-23-2012 at 05:23 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 05:12 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,364,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I am disgusted that black children/teens are killed by other blacks every day too but the difference between you and I is that my nonanalytical brain has allowed me to separate that from this issue. Before the crime rate was the way it is, blacks were profiled. There has been a suspicion toward blacks since we've been here. That hasn't changed. If you were being fair you would try to see both sides.

I have agreed with you several times about things that need to change or be addressed more often with regards to some of the things that go on in certain communities or subcultures, but I disagree that racial profiling, police brutality and racism should be permitted because of some jerks who happen to be black. People who are incapable of judging people as individuals have issues that they need to deal with. This ill will shouldn't be something that is inflicted on society as a whole.

Asians have never been a threat with the exception of the Japanese. Latinos are profiled, Muslims are profiled. When I lived in California during 9/11, someone vandalized the store of a Chaldean (Christian Arab) guy near my house. Personally, I was disgusted - I supposed some people would justify this by saying that there are so many Muslim terrorists that he deserved what he got. I find that way of thinking extremely small minded.
Folks are profiled for a reason. Humans are conditioned and evolved to plan for the worst hope for the best. Even Jessie Jackson is on record being leery of young black males. I think it is very unreasonable to condemn people for having a justifiable fear of young black males who dress and look like they came out of a hip hop video. Are all people who dress like that thugs of course not. Standard apparel for me on Spring and Fall weekends is a hoodie I even have a favorite one my girl gets on me for wearing too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies