Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 11:13 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Nope, not unless I saw him around my specific unit or my vehicle. What's the point of this question?

You just answered the question. You agreeing that Zimmerman had no business pursuing this kid.

It wasn't his unit or car. He was a self appointed "watchman" who disregarded instructions by the dispatcher.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Maybe... if he was walking fast to get past you and you only thought he was ready to pounce. What if he was just trying to get home quickly to his family and you misread his actions.

He could use force to stop your violent attack on this innocent man.

See... it all in how you spin the story.
I guess I gave a bad example, since Zimmerman had already told the police he spotted someone who looked suspicious and was told to stay in his car, but chose to pursue him anyway.

Yes, I can understand what you're saying here and it's frightening to me, since I'm frail and would never be able to defend myself against an assailant, so I think about buying a gun. I'm not sure I could take another person's life, however.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:17 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Hate crimes a challenge and the parents are going after the HOA. I smell desperation.

Quote:
But Parks added "it was clear from Justice's statements that charges of a hate crime are going to be a challenge."

Parks also said the Florida Department of Law Enforcement has told the family's legal team that they know Zimmerman's whereabouts, but that it was not clear whether they are offering protection to Zimmerman, who has been in hiding and has received death threats in recent weeks.

Martin's parents also met Friday with the newly-appointed special prosecutor in the case, and the family's legal team plans to pursue a civil case against the Twin Lakes homeowner's association, Parks said.
Not familiar with civil law in regards to an HOA's responsibily in a case like this but this seems like a stretch.

Attorneys in Trayvon Martin case make arguments | Ocala.com

Old 03-24-2012, 11:17 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Doesn't anyone who is defending Zimmerman or decrying the protests NOT understand what the protests are about??????????????????????????
NO ONE is calling for a lynching or even mob rule. What the protesters want is for Zimmerman to be arrested and subject to a fair trial and the rule of law.
This situation has become a huge story because of the lack of police responsibility in the death by shooting of a teenager.
If any one of us had a member of our family shot in any kind of suspicious circumstance we would want the whole incident properly investigated and not decided on by the word of the shooter....... THAT is what this is about!
It's more willful ignorance of the law when it's applicable to the wrong color, gender, and creed. If it means standing on the scale for Christians claiming persecution when it is they persecuting all others, it's "fair and balanced" because the laws sole purpose is to protect the privileged class's property at the expense of human life and white male privilege to dodge accountability for himself at the expense of all humanity. To hell with Jews, Buddhists, agnostics, and all others failing to be white supremacist fundies. See how this works now? So glad we had this talk, geeoro.

Now you're free to resume your life knowing that the law encourages you to write the law to protect your precious white male self at the expense of your mom, sister, daughter, black neighbor, and all others you see fit to abuse on a whim. Their religion says it's perfectly fine to kill or rape your wife, have at it. THAT is the constitution of supremacy. Is that OUR constitution? Or not? Decide which country you mean to live in.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:18 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm not sure I could take another person's life, however.
With a choice of life or death, you just might surprise yourself.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
I just thought of something.

Chief Lee further states that, "Zimmerman was in fact on a personal errand in his vehicle when he observed Mr. Martin in his community and called the Sanford Police Department."

So he was in his vehicle, called 911, and then took his gun to go after Trayvor Martin? If he was on a personal errand, why would he have a 9mm weapon handy? Maybe I'm just naive, but do people carry concealed weapons to go on personal errands?

All along people have been referring to him as being on neighborhood watch duty.
It's Flori-duh. By law they can now bring their guns to work now.

4/17/2008

Florida Governor Charlie Crist has signed the “bring your guns to work” bill, which makes it illegal for public and private employers to have policies prohibiting firearms on their private property. Specifically, the law permits employees who have concealed weapons permits to keep firearms locked in their vehicles on company property. Additionally, the law permits customers or other “invitees” of a business to have firearms locked in their vehicles in the business’ parking lot, regardless of whether they have a concealed weapons permit.

They go out to eat and to the stores with guns on them.

You have been in FL 20yrs and don't know this?????

Old 03-24-2012, 11:24 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Nope, not unless I saw him around my specific unit or my vehicle. What's the point of this question?
The point of the question is to get to the next question...

Why not?

Quote:
SANFORD, Fla. — Last August, Wendy Dorival got a call about setting up a local neighborhood watch. As the volunteer coordinator for the Police Department here, she gets such calls regularly, and the city already had at least 10 active watch groups. So she thought nothing of this call, from George Zimmerman.

She set up a visit for the next month at the Retreat at Twin Lakes, a gated community that had been dealing with a string of burglaries. When 25 residents showed up, a decent turnout, she had the residents introduce themselves; after all, people join the groups to look out for each other. She then gave a PowerPoint presentation and distributed a handbook. As she always does, she emphasized what a neighborhood watch is — and what it is not.

In every presentation, “I go through what the rules and responsibilities are,” she said Thursday. The volunteers’ role, she said, is “being the eyes and ears” for the police, “not the vigilante.” Members of a neighborhood watch “are not supposed to confront anyone,” she said. “We get paid to get into harm’s way. You don’t do that. You just call them from the safety of your home or your vehicle.”

Using a gun in the neighborhood watch role would be out of the question, she said in an interview.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/23/us...pagewanted=all

Old 03-24-2012, 11:26 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times
Quote:
I just thought of something.

Chief Lee further states that, "Zimmerman was in fact on a personal errand in his vehicle when he observed Mr. Martin in his community and called the Sanford Police Department."

So he was in his vehicle, called 911, and then took his gun to go after Trayvor Martin? If he was on a personal errand, why would he have a 9mm weapon handy? Maybe I'm just naive, but do people carry concealed weapons to go on personal errands?

All along people have been referring to him as being on neighborhood watch duty.

Was Fla. shooter a vigilante or good neighbor? - National News | Tri-City Herald : Mid-Columbia news (http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2012/03/21/1874212/was-fla-shooter-a-vigilante-or.html - broken link)

Mixed reviews about Zimmerman.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:27 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
With a choice of life or death, you just might surprise yourself.
Been there, but I can't talk about it on this thread. I didn't have a gun, so I don't know what I would have done. I was lucky and got away and the man was arrested. I'm much older now, so I do think about self protection.

One thing I want to mention about this case is that I read a statement by the Sanford Police Chief that Zimmerman wasn't on neighborhood watch patrol that evening. He was running a personal errand. Does this make a difference?

Old 03-24-2012, 11:28 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's Flori-duh. By law they can now bring their guns to work now.

4/17/2008

Florida Governor Charlie Crist has signed the “bring your guns to work” bill, which makes it illegal for public and private employers to have policies prohibiting firearms on their private property. Specifically, the law permits employees who have concealed weapons permits to keep firearms locked in their vehicles on company property. Additionally, the law permits customers or other “invitees” of a business to have firearms locked in their vehicles in the business’ parking lot, regardless of whether they have a concealed weapons permit.

They go out to eat and to the stores with guns on them.
Thank goodness for laws like this. Many states including TX have a similar law. It allows me as a licensed gun holder to protect myself by taking my weapon anywhere I go. You'll never know I have a gun on me and you'll think twice about trying something to hurt me or my family.

It was such a great law by Florida that other states have copied. How's gun restriction in places like Chicago, Detroit & DC working out for you ? Not very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies