Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2012, 11:55 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,496 times

Advertisements

While I don't have all the facts or know the whole story, from what details I've heard, Zimmerman pursued Trayvon and is therefore exempt from being covered under the "stand your ground" law, and is guilty of murder or mansluaghter. But to all of those so convinced this was a hate crime and racially motivated, I think there is substancial evidence pointing to him not being a racist, but just an idiot.

Group offers $10,000 for US black teen's killer - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/10-000-reward-offered-us-black-teens-killer-201659364.html - broken link)

Quote:
"Sonner said Zimmerman and his wife acted as mentors to two teenage African Americans, even after funding was cut for the program.

They have also helped at a fundraiser for an African-American church, according to the lawyer"

Old 03-24-2012, 11:57 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Thank goodness for laws like this. Many states including TX have a similar law. It allows me as a licensed gun holder to protect myself by taking my weapon anywhere I go. You'll never know I have a gun on me and you'll think twice about trying something to hurt me or my family.

It was such a great law by Florida that other states have copied. How's gun restriction in places like Chicago, Detroit & DC working out for you ? Not very well.
It's not working too well in FL. Since the Stand Your Ground law was signed homicides have tripled.

Including one two weeks ago in Tampa, where due to a road rage incident one driver shot and killed another....no charges....he felt threatened.

That's all you have to say "I felt threatened".

In other states a judge would say "well why did you pull over if you felt threatened"....not in the dumbshine state.

I have nothing against gun ownership, these days it's a good idea.

But FL is now loaded with people who never owned a gun before, aren't required to take any safety training, and now think they're Wyatt Earp.

About a year ago in my area an elderly man(retired transplant) witnessed a bank robbery in a strip mall. He reached for his gun in his glove compartment and started shooting in the direction of the robber.

Thank God he didn't hit anyboby who was walking in the parking lot.

No charges.

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Defend myself? Yes. By pulling a gun? No.

Give up a personal possession like my purse or my car...they can take it.
A purse and a car ain't no big deal.

You wouldn't use force to stop someone in the process of murdering your mother or child ?

5,767 posts, read 5,014,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I hate to sound so judgmental, but some serial killers were also well liked by their neighbors. How many times have we heard that a man who murdered his wife "seems like a nice guy?" I'm not saying Zimmerman is a serial killer or even a murderer, but it's really difficult to tell what is going through another person's mind.

Here is another article from the same publication.

Zimmerman described as a 'caring person,' had run-ins with the law - Lifestyle Wire - Teens | Tri-City Herald : Mid-Columbia news (http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2012/03/24/1878086/zimmerman-described-as-a-caring.html#storylink=mirelated - broken link)

"And another label has also stuck in the public's perception: frustrated cop wannabe.

Over the years, his scores of calls to police showed he pursued shoplifters and errant drivers with zeal, reporting pit bulls, potholes, children playing in the street, open garage doors and "suspicious" youths - usually black males - loitering in the street.

He peppered his calls with jargon familiar to police. In one case, he chased a reckless driver while calling 911 - the driver later told police he was terrified that Zimmerman was going to attack him. In another case, Zimmerman tailed a supermarket shoplifter until a police officer successfully arrested the thief."

He really sounds obsessive to me, as if he finally needed to take care of business, and Trayvor Martin was in the wrong place at the wrong time, doing nothing but taking a walk.

Yes; now you understand the passion of this loose coalition of posters who have been fighting so vigorously to refute the lies, distortions and yes, fake photos of Trayvon Martin. As a mother and an American, I want the kind of society where people can utilize their right to walk the streets without fearing that someone can pursue and kill you. The Martins have shown more grace in their grief than I could.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:00 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,172 times
Zimmerman did call the kid an effing coon under his breath on a 911 call.

I don't know if that makes him a racist or not. I've used that phrase, and to tell the truth, I'm not sure if I am a racist or not.

He had no reason to kill the kid by any standards.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:00 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I hate to sound so judgmental, but some serial killers were also well liked by their neighbors. How many times have we heard that a man who murdered his wife "seems like a nice guy?" I'm not saying Zimmerman is a serial killer or even a murderer, but it's really difficult to tell what is going through another person's mind.

Here is another article from the same publication.

Zimmerman described as a 'caring person,' had run-ins with the law - Lifestyle Wire - Teens | Tri-City Herald : Mid-Columbia news (http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2012/03/24/1878086/zimmerman-described-as-a-caring.html#storylink=mirelated - broken link)

"And another label has also stuck in the public's perception: frustrated cop wannabe.

Over the years, his scores of calls to police showed he pursued shoplifters and errant drivers with zeal, reporting pit bulls, potholes, children playing in the street, open garage doors and "suspicious" youths - usually black males - loitering in the street.

He peppered his calls with jargon familiar to police. In one case, he chased a reckless driver while calling 911 - the driver later told police he was terrified that Zimmerman was going to attack him. In another case, Zimmerman tailed a supermarket shoplifter until a police officer successfully arrested the thief."

He really sounds obsessive to me, as if he finally needed to take care of business, and Trayvor Martin was in the wrong place at the wrong time, doing nothing but taking a walk.

Edit: if this is a true description of his actions over the past few years, this man has a bad case of hero syndrome. Seriously. Why is he chasing bad drivers and someone who shoplifted in a supermarket? I am very honest and would report a theft, but this isn't normal behavior.
He's obviously obsesssed with this stuff and the odds were against anything good coming of this obsession with being the neighborhood watch dog. His family did not recognize these disturbing actions? Jeez, his father was a judge. If he is arrested, he will be given a psychological exam, but too bad his family didn't urge him to get one sooner.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:01 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Yes; now you understand the passion of this loose coalition of posters who have been fighting so vigorously to refute the lies, distortions and yes, fake photos of Trayvon Martin. As a mother and an American, I want the kind of society where people can utilize their right to walk the streets without fearing that someone can pursue and kill you. The Martins have shown more grace in their grief than I could.
As a father and an American, I think most of us would agree with you on this in a perfect world.

You do have to give the family credit, losing a child is a terrible thing to suffer.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:04 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
A purse and a car ain't no big deal.

You wouldn't use force to stop someone in the process of murdering your mother or child ?
Personally, I believe that guns give people a false sense of security because chances are that you not necessarily be able to access your weapon for any and every situation.

So, lets say that you have a gun. You are skilled at using the gun. You carrying that gun on you everyday. Do you strap it to your body every second of every day? What if someone breaks into your house while you are in the shower. Do you have access to it at that point? What about while helping the kids do homework? Are you packing heat while helping little Johnny with his algebra? What if that carjacker approaches you so fast and out of the blue that you just didn't have the time to react? Its in your purse on the floor of the backseat, out of your reach.

Its a false sense of security.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:04 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Zimmerman - "Pssst - kid - I will make you famous".

Old 03-25-2012, 12:06 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Why would Zimmerman have to cry for help when he had a gun?
Maybe he didn't want to have to shoot him?

Quote:
What kind of help would he expect? Someone else with a bigger gun than a tec9 semi automatic? For those of you unschooled about firearms, this is the same weapon preferred by drug dealers/ gang bangers.
They like 9mm's because they're cheap. As far as damage goes, a 9mm is at the mid/lower end of the spectrum. A .357, .45 or .44 magnum are much more effective at killing people. Perhaps you are one of those who is "unschooled" about firearms.

Quote:
You're just as racist as any klansman. When an innocent American is killed by a home grown terrorist, I don't defend the terrorists "right" to kill them. You're a traitor to your country. Live elsewhere.
You seem to be quite the race baiter on this thread. Are you yourself not white and have a grudge against white people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies