U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 03:17 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,098,356 times

Advertisements

Mother Speaks Out on Proposal to Ban English-Only Classes at California Elementary School | Fox News Insider

"According to Brink, students would participate in the program from kindergarten to sixth grade. Classes would be conducted in Spanish and English. If parents opt out of the program, which would begin with children entering kindergarten this fall, they would have to bring their child to a different school."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 03:22 PM

30,693 posts, read 33,456,199 times
Sounds like they are turning the school into a duel immersion magnet school and one mom doesn't like that. I don't even get her point about splitting up her kids since they can BOTH go to wherever she wants where they have English only classes.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:26 PM

29,041 posts, read 45,015,503 times
We have French & Chinese immersion schools in San Francisco... why isn't anyone angry about that?

Old 03-19-2012, 03:32 PM

5,333 posts, read 6,138,445 times
We have one elementary school in my district that has a dual-language (English & Spanish) immersion program, but it is voluntary. Two classes of each grade are taught about 50-50 in each language. There are English-only classes in each grade for those who don't want the immersion program. I think that is the ideal way to do it.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:41 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,522,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
We have one elementary school in my district that has a dual-language (English & Spanish) immersion program, but it is voluntary. Two classes of each grade are taught about 50-50 in each language. There are English-only classes in each grade for those who don't want the immersion program. I think that is the ideal way to do it.
I don't think our kids should be forced to learn a foreign language and it mostly always seems to be Spanish forced on them. It should be elective. There is no need in this country to learn a foreign language unless one plans to get a job in the tourist industry or dealing in business with foreign countries but even then English is the language of business across the world. This is all about accomodating a group of people whom many are here illegally and arrogantly think we should learn their language.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:48 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,646,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
This is all about accomodating a group of people whom many are here illegally and arrogantly think we should learn their language.
Accommodating a group of people?

Really?

So why did my CA public school in the most conservative of counties force me to learn Spanish? Starting in the 3rd grade?

In the 1960's?

Yep. Sat our little bottoms in a chair and forced us to learn Espanol.

Horrors. To think I can converse with a Mexican.

BTW: I'd sign my child up for that program in a Los Angeles minute. If the mother had any brains at all she'd realize the benefits her child will reap being bilingual.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:51 PM

9,958 posts, read 7,593,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
We have French & Chinese immersion schools in San Francisco... why isn't anyone angry about that?
Because it's San Francisco, in other more level headed down to Earth parts of the country people still see speaking English as something a child should choose and not something that's forced on anyone.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:02 PM

12,172 posts, read 7,039,173 times
Cuando usted esta en Rome...

Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,522,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Accommodating a group of people?

Really?

So why did my CA public school in the most conservative of counties force me to learn Spanish? Starting in the 3rd grade?

In the 1960's?

Yep. Sat our little bottoms in a chair and forced us to learn Espanol.

Horrors. To think I can converse with a Mexican.

BTW: I'd sign my child up for that program in a Los Angeles minute. If the mother had any brains at all she'd realize the benefits her child will reap being bilingual.
I have no idea why your school did what they did. Why don't you ask them? FYI, most Hispanics (at least the legal kind) know how to speak English so why would you need to converse with them in Spanish? If I were living in Mexico I would learn Spanish and that would be the langauge I would communicate in. What are these great benefits of speaking Spanish in the U.S. since we are an English speaking nation?

Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 PM

30,693 posts, read 33,456,199 times
The dual immersion program at one of our elementary schools is a popular option since kids can often pass the foreign language AP test by the time they get to high school. Many English speakers like taking it and yes, it's Spanish. Why? We live in California...do the math. Kids learn foreign languages better when they are young and it's required for most of the college bound people.

Don't get your panties in a bunch over WHAT language it is, it's hard to find bilingual teachers and if you don't want to learn the language a district chooses you are free not to, take something else in high school or buy Rosetta Stone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies