Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 07:25 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,204,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Of course none of it is acceptable, so why is the "black community" all up in arms about this story when 17 year old black kids die from gunshot wounds every day around this country at the hands of other black people and you never hear about it...

When was the last time you saw a drive by shooting on the evening national news? When did the FBI and DOJ get involved?
When was the last time the police had a dead body, a black shooter in custody, and they told the shooter to go home, because his story sounded ok to them?

Old 03-20-2012, 07:25 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,945,142 times
Quote:
Of course none of it is acceptable, so why is the "black community" all up in arms about this story when 17 year old black kids die from gunshot wounds every day around this country at the hands of other black people and you never hear about it...
Because:

A. those unfortunate black kids weren't shot just because they were Walking While Black.

B. when a you black kid gets shot by another black kid, the black kid who did the shooting, if identified, is going to be arrested, locked up, or worse get gunned down in retaliation but either way some form of justice is going to be met out.

C. the police aren't going to help some black shooter get their story straight, they aren't going to ignore evidence (unless the suspect is innocent), and they aren't going to (pardon the expression) white wash the killing.

D. every black male is taught from an early age about acting suspicious around white folks because of the terrible consequences that will befall them if they do not act in a certain manner. Every black male has experienced, at one time or another in their life of being a potential Trayvon Martin.

And lastly, what makes you think that in cities across the country black mothers and fathers aren't upset about street violence, violence that black folks have been organizing to stop since the late 80's?

Quote:
When was the last time you saw a drive by shooting on the evening national news? When did the FBI and DOJ get involved?
Ah, in 1998 I reported on a joint DEA, U.S. Marshall's, FBI, state, county and local police task force that was formed for the specific purpose of putting an end to a slate of drive-by shootings. It happens every day.

USDOJ: United States Department of Justice Archive - Appendix A

Old 03-20-2012, 07:27 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,650,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
One doesn't have to be a HS graduate to grasp that if due diligence was working that Zimmerman would have been arrested and questioned. After evidence review then he would have been charged.

The first day this news broke I was full of questions on why Zimmerman was not arrested. I understand more now with news on the FL 'stand your ground law', but as more news has been released, (the 911 calls; the fact that the stupid Sandord PD didn't even try to ID this child; the testimony of witnesses who said Sanford PD told them they story was wrong;the fact that his cell phone was on him and they didn't ID him for two day! or even check cell phone records; and now the release of the girlfriend's statement that she was on the phone with him and it was Trayvon who was scared).

It has taken the voice and outrage of citizens all across America of every ethnicity to get this murder the attention it deserves. One doesn't have to have a high IQ to realize that until outrage of citizens in the social media regarding the pursuit and killing (sure looks like cold blooded murder) of this innocent kid there had been ZERO due diligence.

Thank for reminding me why I rarely post on here anymore.

Glad you posted this time >> GREAT POST!! << Total Agreement!!

Old 03-20-2012, 07:39 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,691,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
For the "arrest him now crowd." NONE of you have ANY background in law enforcement or the criminal justice system. Your ignorance and, for that matter, down right stupidity, is coming out. You realize, IF the police arrest him, they have 48 hours to present their case to the district attorney? You, of course, KNOW this, right? If they arrest him, and DO NOT have the probable cause to hold him, he will be released and all racial BS will go out the window. Then you will all find some other reason to complain.

They are doing it right. They are taking their time, conducting a proper and THOROUGH investigation, and allowing the Grand Jury to make the decision.

Ignorance is truly bliss. Let your emotions go, when it comes to the criminal justice system. Otherwise, you will lose and for most of you, you already have.
Let's see what they have here:

1. The 9-11 operator told him NOT to follow the kid through the neighborhood....he ignored that and ended someone's life...

2. Newsflash: Guys like him should NOT own a gun. Period.

3. I heard he appointed himself vigilante...er... I mean "neighhood watch guy"...

4. If he does go to jail/prison he won't last there....They will want blood at the Big House...

5. He should go on TV and announce, "I am a big loser, I shot an innocent kid, I ask forgiveness but I know my crime is heinous, I deserve nothing except a gunshot... like I gave that kid."

Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,546,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound09 View Post
So in Florida, you can be a registered or licensed gun owner, provoke a situation with an innocent person because of your own paranoia, and when that person defends him/herself against YOUR attacking them first, you can shoot and kill them without being prosecuted?

WHAT HAS AMERICA COME TO????
Pretty much. Less than two weeks ago in the Tampa area a road rage incident ended up with one driver dead.

One car cut the other off and foolishly they both pulled off the main road onto a side street. The one driver(unarmed) went back to talk the other driver and the other guy shot him and took off.

He later came forward, no charges have been filed.

This happens about once a month.

I have learned since moving to FL it's best not to get into altercations regardless of the rude and reckless drivers.

Because if you get out of your car and walk towards them you're perceived as a threat, and that gives them a green light to shoot you.

Last edited by seain dublin; 03-20-2012 at 07:56 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 07:46 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,691,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Pretty much. Less than two weeks ago in the Tampa area a road rage incident ended up with one driver dead.

One car cut the other off and foolishly the both pulled off the main road onto a side street. The one driver(unarmed) went back to talk the other driver and the other guy shot him and took off.

He later came forward, no charges have been filed.

This happens about once a month.

I have learned since moving to FL it's best not to get into altercations regardless of the rude and reckless drivers.

Because if you get out of your car and walk towards them you're perceived as a threat, and that gives them a green light to shoot you.
Wow! With this law, I see alot more "oops... rampant murder situations.."

Old 03-20-2012, 08:06 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,359,483 times
Quote:

I'm convinced the Black community simply does not care. Blacks have been the leading murder victims for decades now and the murders of Black men by non-Whites rarely raises a peep. Even the innocent child hit by a stray bullet garners nary a peep these days. It's become expected sadly. Black on Black crime does not further the narrative of victimhood many hold dear. On Black talk radio today some were comparing this to Emmitt Till. Either they are deranged or woefully unfamiliar with the Emmitt Till case.

What's also amazing to me is the patent refusal to understand why Blacks are profiled in the first place. Why don't we see Asians profiled for suspicion of burglarizing homes?

Blacks not only commit a disproportinate amount of violent crime but even mass market a negative, thuggish culture for public consumption. So why wouldn't folks who have very little interaction with Blacks in the first place not form negative stereotypes about Blacks.

Maybe it's a legacy from slavery but this is not normal behavior from a functional community.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,359,483 times
Looks like even the Feds are going to have a hard time charging this Zimmerman guy. So what now? What happens when even Obama and Holder's minions can't get an indictment?

As Justice Department investigates shooting of Florida teen, doubts arise about federal charges - The Washington Post
Quote:
The decision by the Justice Department and the FBI to open an investigation into the slaying of an unarmed black teenager in Florida has spurred internal debate at the agency over whether the federal government could bring criminal charges in the case, which has sparked widespread protest.

Lawyers at the department said Tuesday that while the investigation into the shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin would go forward, it would be difficult to prosecute the case under federal law. Civil rights law protects against “hate crimes” or actions by police officers, but Martin’s shooting may not have either of those elements, two officials said. They spoke on the condition of anonymity because the probe is still under federal review.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,546,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm convinced the Black community simply does not care. Blacks have been the leading murder victims for decades now and the murders of Black men by non-Whites rarely raises a peep. Even the innocent child hit by a stray bullet garners nary a peep these days. It's become expected sadly. Black on Black crime does not further the narrative of victimhood many hold dear. On Black talk radio today some were comparing this to Emmitt Till. Either they are deranged or woefully unfamiliar with the Emmitt Till case.

What's also amazing to me is the patent refusal to understand why Blacks are profiled in the first place. Why don't we see Asians profiled for suspicion of burglarizing homes?

Blacks not only commit a disproportinate amount of violent crime but even mass market a negative, thuggish culture for public consumption. So why wouldn't folks who have very little interaction with Blacks in the first place not form negative stereotypes about Blacks.

Maybe it's a legacy from slavery but this is not normal behavior from a functional community.
I guess you don't live in FL. There have already been a couple of demonstrations in the last couple of days in FL regarding this issue.

Maybe those stories aren't getting national coverage, but there is action being taken and asking for charges to be filed. And it's not just blacks who are asking for this.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:30 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,828,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
You're trying to change the subject and it's not working.

Why is selective enforcement of the law acceptable to you?
It's not acceptable in any case but that's not happening so it doesn't really pertain to this story either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies