Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 03:18 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,131,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
How is religion being forced on you? You're free to believe or not believe anything you want. You're equally free to walk away when others discuss religion if that discussion offends you.

What you're not free to do is demand everyone else share your rejection of religion and refrain from discussing it. That's every bit as much an imposition of your beliefs and preferences upon others as the behaviors you claim to object to.

I think it's good to support religious freedom... that's why many came to this country in the first place.
Just as Atheists wouldn't want Theism shoved at them, neither would Theists want Atheism forced on them.

The difference, though is that our country was founded on a belief in God or "Lord" as is most often written in US founding documents. So don't freak out if kids pledge allegiance to a flag representing "one nation under God."
Nobody's saying how to define God or Lord... but there was this basic consensus of God/Lord.
So, please, leave it at that & chill out Atheists!

Last edited by SuperSoul; 03-21-2012 at 03:27 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 03:24 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheist Liberal View Post
The 1st Amendment also protects people FROM religion. People don't need to be religious and it should not be forced on people. This is a democracy after all and not a theocracy.

Then stay your ass away from it. No one is forcing you to attend anything. No wonder Atheists are one of the most hated groups in this country. They want everything their way.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:30 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Then stay your ass away from it. No one is forcing you to attend anything. No wonder Atheists are one of the most hated groups in this country. They want everything their way.
Hey slick, I am a follower of Jesus and I ask the same question, what religous freedoms have you or I lost, please name them or can't you

Old 03-21-2012, 03:30 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
They're hated by religious zealots not just here but EVERYWHERE.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:34 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
What do you think about those whose online names proclaim their religion?

I wonder how a day dedicated to noisy Atheist Proselytizing would go down with the über-devout and very noisy Christian mob here in the USoA?

Check out the Religion & Philosophy sub-forum here, esp. over on the "Dark Side" (as we call it...) Christianity sub-sub.
I think people on both sides of the aisle in this debate need to step back and afford those with whom they disagree the minimal courtesy of allowing people to believe what they choose without attempting to use the power of government to push their point of view.

I'm sick to friggin' death of people that are so impressed with their own point of view they somehow believe that point of view confers upon them a right to use government regulation to further their agenda.

Why would I want to check out the religious sub-forums? My posting history clearly shows I've refrained from commenting there. I have no interest whatsoever in arguing the minutiae of religious ideology with strangers on the internet.

Get over it, believe what you want to believe or reject all beliefs whatsoever. That should be a personal decision on your part. You have no business attempting to use government to force your point of view on others. Your quoted post wasn't even an original effort at shutting down discussion.

Government is Constitutionally mandated to remain neutral on issues of religion. That neutrality confers a responsibility to refrain from censoring the speech of those that wish to discuss their religious beliefs as well as not endorsing any religious belief or lack thereof as being superior to another.

Having read back through my posts in this thread I believe my position is fairly clear. Sorry it escaped you. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need it retyped using big print and small words to help you out.

Last edited by outbacknv; 03-21-2012 at 04:04 PM..

Old 03-21-2012, 03:34 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Nice to see that you will be rallying to protect my freedom from your religion.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Hey slick, I am a follower of Jesus and I ask the same question, what religous freedoms have you or I lost, please name them or can't you

Well slick, please point out where I said anything about religious freedoms being lost. I know you can't right? Next time pay attention to what you respond to.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Nice to see that you will be rallying to protect my freedom from your religion.

Talk about something you know about. I don't rally for anyone, and I am personally not that religious. I am sick and tired of sickening Atheists trying to take away things others believe in. Things that have been celebrated in this country from the beginning.

If you don't like something don't get involved with it. Leave it to the people who want it.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:07 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You have it and NO one is trying to take it away from you.

Quit whining....did Jesus whine...?
I can't hear you for all the Feminists whining going on---what did you say?

Old 03-21-2012, 04:09 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Who's trying to take it away from you?
Obama and company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies