Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:29 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,575 times

Advertisements

Flame war deleted. Please calm down and stop personally attacking/insulting each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 07:34 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,535 times
Once a criminal has paid their debt to society, they should be allowed to vote. They're still citizens.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:16 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodday View Post
by law those fellons that stay clean [depending on the crime] have the right to hunt? by statue of limitasions.. that mean own a gun? its a long time for a felon to stay clean like 20-25 years...but its true, ask a law man..
I agree. But in my State, it's like voting. After x number of years has past, they have to petition the courts. Same with owning a gun. They can hunt, but the gun they carry cannot be theirs until after the courts say so.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:00 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
I don't believe people should be able to vote while incarcerated but once they've been released -- sure.

I don't believe ex-felons should be allowed to have guns though... Let them vote instead.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:13 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Hey, if the dead are allowed to vote, like in Chicago and New Jersey, why not felons? At least they have real feelings.
I think Fl. too!
But seriously felons should not be allowed to vote ever. That is part of their punishment for committing the crime.
That is the problem with society today the criminals rights pleeeeeeeeeeeease!!!! They are grown adults they know what they are doing. Most are only remorseful because they got caught and are going to jail, not for the crime they committed.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:16 PM

101 posts, read 254,997 times
Right to vote? Let me go a step further and suggest that felons be allowed to stand for election as well. If we can fill up the congress, the senate and the white house with felons, we will be under better management than the current group of "unconvicted" felons.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:15 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,563 times
I don't know... touchy issue... one side of me says.. that they probably shouldn't because of their act against society... but the other side of me says.. they've paid for their crime..and they should not have a ball and chain for life...
I think maybe a case by case basis.. depending on the crime... sometimes people screw up.. and many european countries handle their criminals very different than we do.. and they are much more successful than we are in returning them back to society...
so... I would have to say I'm undecided..

Old 09-13-2007, 06:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,357 times
I wonder what is achieved by preventing a felon from voting after serving their time.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:45 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duvd View Post
I wonder what is achieved by preventing a felon from voting after serving their time.
It is meant as a deterent more then anything. When growing up, people are told, you commit a felony, and you loose a lot of your rights.

Kind of like a minimum sentence. You commit armed robbery, you'll get a minimum of 15 years.

And then the liberal judges get into position and the guy that gets caught in an armed robbery gets 3 years unsupervised probation because he didn't have a good childhood or his mother smacked him on the a$$ one time so he was an abused child. Or he dropped out of school in the 10th grade so there for he was not afforded the same opportunities in education as you and I. For some reason, the judges think it was our fault the little tike dropped out of school.

Same with the voting. They're told that. But then the courts (same liberal judges) give it all back to them when they whine.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:59 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
It is meant as a deterent more then anything. When growing up, people are told, you commit a felony, and you loose a lot of your rights.
To me, it just doesn't seem like an effective deterrent to crime. I have a really hard time believing that someone who is trafficking drugs or driving intoxicated is going to make that decision based on their future voting status.

I'd also be willing to bet that a significant amount of people aren't even aware that convicted felons can't vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies