Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times

Advertisements

Three Ohio basketball teams may make the Final Four! I am looking for Ohio State, Cincinatti, and Xavier to beat up on Michigan State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 02:08 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Apparantly none good enough for the Obamas. You would think that, given there is an election coming up, that he would be concerned about appearances. Instead of sending their 13 year old daughter, along with her Secret Service detail, somewhere in the US, they send her to Mexico. Just how many thousands of taxpayer dollars were spent on this little adventure? Given that unemployement here is what, 8.5%, aren't there some domestic hotels that would have liked that business? Are the hotel maids in Mexico all SEIU members now?

People call Romney an "elitist" but Obama just keeps outdoing him at every turn.
You must have been furious when this occurred on your dime...

Quote:
Nov. 27 -- U.S. embassy officials "strongly suggested" President Bush's twin daughters, Jenna and Barbara, cut short their trip to Buenos Aires because of security issues.

Amid a growing barrage of front-page headlines, U.S. embassy officials "strongly suggested" President Bush's twin daughters, Jenna and Barbara Bush, cut short their trip to Buenos Aires because of security issues, U.S. diplomatic and security sources tell ABC News.

But the girls have stayed on, celebrating their 25th birthday over the weekend and producing even more headlines about their activities.

Officials say the media coverage upstaged publicity plans for the new U.S. Ambassador Anthony Wayne, who had only recently arrived in the country
Bush Twins Refuse To Cut Buenos Aires Vacation Short 7/21/09 | abc7news.com

Old 03-21-2012, 02:13 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I mean really?

What about the gulf region, who's economy was devastated by BP?

Why do the obomba's almost always leave the states?
Isn't it enough to just wire some money down there? Is it really necessary to physically go there?

The problem with the US is that despite regional differences it is one culture, one country. The Rockies and the Appalachians as well as the West and East coasts are ok, but how often can you visit those places without feeling bored?
Many people long to do and see something unusual or even exotic on vacation.

And haven't Americans always gone abroad when they could afford to? What does this have to do with Obama? What is wrong with people on this board, they don't seem to be able to think of anything anymore without thinking of Obama at the same time

Old 03-21-2012, 02:16 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Isn't it enough to just wire some money down there? Is it really necessary to physically go there?

The problem with the US is that despite regional differences it is one culture, one country. The Rockies and the Appalachians as well as the West and East coasts are ok, but how often can you visit those places without feeling bored?
Many people long to do and see something unusual or even exotic on vacation.

And haven't Americans always gone abroad when they could afford to? What does this have to do with Obama? What is wrong with people on this board, they don't seem to be able to think of anything anymore without thinking of Obama at the same time

Someday I do want to drive across this great nation and see every state. This country is big enough, and has plenty to see and do.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:32 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
I've enjoyed traveling to many different places in our fine country (Including Kansas and Ohio)
In 37 days I'll be in Maui (Not that I'm counting)
I've also enjoyed traveling abroad (Including Mexico)
I don't see it as an either/or proposition.
And I think it's just ridiculous that people are manufacturing outrage over this. The same posters disparaging Obama for letting his kid go on a class trip to Mexico would tell you to F*** off and mind your own business if you tried to tell them where they or their kids should and shouldn't go for vacation.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:52 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Three Ohio basketball teams may make the Final Four! I am looking for Ohio State, Cincinatti, and Xavier to beat up on Michigan State.
Um....not likely. I don't believe any of those teams are even in State's region, and I doubt any of them (with the possible exception of OSU) are going to the Final 4.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:55 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
What is wrong with Ohio?

We have;
The Rock Hall.
2 NFL teams, 2 MLB teams, 1 NBA team, 1 NHL team, and the Buckeyes.
Cedar Point- The best damn Amusement Park for thrills in the country. Has the record for most roller coasters of any amusement park.
Kings Island- Not Cedar Point, but owned by them, and not bad. More geared toward family than Cedar Point though.
Lake Erie- Can't knock places like Mentor Headlands, or places like Put-In-Bay, and Kelly's Island
3 major metropolitan areas, all with vibrant cores.
The pro football hall of fame.
Amish Country- It's stunning in the Fall.
No mountains, but definitely rolling hills. That stretch on 71 between Columbus and Cincinnati is rather boring though, I'll give you that.
As far as scenery, I love it when the leaves are in full bloom here. It rivals anywhere else in the country.
The Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Not to mention The Cleveland Metroparks.

Oh, and the Cleveland Zoo is ranked as one of the top zoos in the country.

Yeah the weather sucks generally from October to May, but not this year! Personally, aside from Spring where I'd love to go to Kansas to chase tornadoes, I'll take Ohio any day.
I'm from the state directly north.

The smell of the Cuyahoga when it burns, the smokestacks of Toledo, the flat stretches that go on as far as the eye can see, the stench of the Ohio River in summer...it is a wonderful place.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Beebe View Post
I'm from the state directly north.

The smell of the Cuyahoga when it burns, the smokestacks of Toledo, the flat stretches that go on as far as the eye can see, the stench of the Ohio River in summer...it is a wonderful place.
Yes if you are really a Browns fan you will understand the visceral hatred Michiganers(or whatever they call themselves) have for Ohio and vice versa.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:59 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Hmnn...isn't part of the job of being a parent to place reasonable limitations on what your children can do?
The POTUS sending his daughter on a class trip to Mexico, and occasionally taking the family on vacations (often within the US) isn't reasonable?? What do you suggest they do for leisure, drive an RV to Alabama?

My parents took me & my siblings all over the world when we were young - including such destinations as Australia, Israel, Turkey, Greece, Italy, England, France, Costa Rica, Mexico, Haiti, Jamaica, Bahamas, etc. By age 30 I'd been to more foreign countries than most people visit in a lifetime, and I am GRATEFUL for being given such amazing experiences. Why is that a bad thing?

Old 03-21-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
The POTUS sending his daughter to Mexico, and occasionally taking the family on vacations (often within the US) isn't reasonable?? What do you suggest they do, drive an RV to Alabama?

My parents took me & my siblings all over the world when we were young - including such destinations as Australia, Israel, Turkey, Greece, Italy, England, France, Costa Rica, Mexico, etc. By age 30 I'd been to more foreign countries than most people visit in a lifetime, and I am GRATEFUL for being given such amazing experiences. Why is that a bad thing?
I was responding only to the posters assertion that "children can do whatever they want". Quit reading things into simple language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies