Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:05 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,910,568 times

Advertisements

Personally, I avoid this stuff. I purchase some, but I prefer open source.

Companies like M$ has had it's way with too many legit customers paying them lots of money. They could care less. I have seen them blow off customers paying hundreds for legit sw when the activation doesn't work right.

I don't care for alphabet agency Anonymous, however this is one idea of theirs I agree with.

Anonymous: Operation Black 'March' - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 AM

23,619 posts, read 23,932,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
RIAA and others like Sony, Universal and Fox are also downloading pirated material.
I did contract work for one of the major music labels in Los Angeles for a while, before the hammer came down on Napster and the like. Everyone there, from the secretaries to upper management, was using Napster. EVERYONE. This was at the HQ for one of the biggest names in the business.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 AM

Freeeedooom! (lol)

Qfx-freedom(braveheart mix) - YouTube

Old 03-22-2012, 08:27 AM

603 posts, read 965,186 times
How is Anonymous an alphabet agency???

Old 03-22-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceInTheCrowd View Post
How is Anonymous an alphabet agency???
They so reek of alphabet agency. Probably mostly FBI, but I suspect a joint venture.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,873,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
How much cost is the ISP really going to undertake? Will it immunize them against frivolous lawsuits?
The cost is being bared by the RIAA because they are the ones doing the monitoring. The ony part you're ISP has in this is letting their customers know when their connection was used to download/distribute pirated material and possibly cutting off the customer. You of course can dispute what the RIAA finds. Probably be quite a wake call to lot of parents when they start getting notices.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:37 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,873,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Sure, but what is Googles main vested interest?? .
Googles interest is these services are not much different than their own like Youtube, when you start holding the service responsible for the actions of their users they are in jeopardy. Same thing goes for site like this:

Quote:
Insert some obscure copyrighted text here.
Is city data responsible for me breaking the law? If they are then a site like this becomes completely unmanageable.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 AM

I think they will be pushing more content options. VZ is a good example of a closed system with their phones. Imagine if people start getting new fees for connection or disconnection. It generated a lot of money for credit cards.

What I don't like for sure is they keep targeting p2p and I hope they aren't just profiling on that because there is plenty on p2p that is actually legal and use of a torrent program doesn't relate to content.

From the MOU

In addition, it is important for content
and copyright owners to continue to make available an array of lawful alternatives
for consuming movies, music, and other content online, including new
distribution models that make it easy and attractive for consumers to lawfully
obtain online the content they want. ISPs can assist in these efforts by
encouraging subscribers to seek legal alternatives for obtaining content. The
widespread availability of lawful content will benefit consumers, content owners
and ISPs.

Funding for CCI will be provided fifty percent (50%) by the Participating
Content Owners Group and fifty percent (50%) by the Participating ISPs.

the Content Owner Representative is authorized to act on behalf of the Copyright Owner whose rights
were allegedly infringed; and (v) technical information necessary for the Participating
ISP to identify the Subscriber (e.g., IP address, date, time and time zone of the alleged
P2P Online Infringement, and such additional information as may be necessary as the
Participating ISPs transition to IPv6).

Last edited by CDusr; 03-22-2012 at 09:58 AM..

Old 03-22-2012, 10:03 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,895,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Googles interest is these services are not much different than their own like Youtube, when you start holding the service responsible for the actions of their users they are in jeopardy. Same thing goes for site like this:

Is city data responsible for me breaking the law? If they are then a site like this becomes completely unmanageable.
Well IP rights are a slippery slope....

But CD isn't a site that is a breeding ground for copyright infringement like YouTube is...

Old 03-30-2012, 06:00 AM

1 posts, read 951 times
Use BTGuard, Filestream.me etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies