Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 05:00 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,389 times

Advertisements

That is illegal here. They can only use what they find with Google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 05:45 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,199,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They have no "right" to ask for those things. Where do you get such ideas?
If you don't like what a company does, don't work there. How is that so hard?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:58 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,098,971 times
1) Run a credit check-
YES with restrictions
Depends on what type of job.
If I am advising clients on finances then I should be able to pay my own bills on time while giving advice on a mortgage , car loan, credit card etc.

However there should be some leeway for example people do run into times of hardship like job loss, marriage difficulty, hospital bills, dr. bills, etc..
Too much reliance on a credit score you would need to look at a long run pattern of delq accounts over and over and over. Seems to be a problem with the way the creid bureaus are ran themselves.
The consumer has little if any say so when something is reported negative.

2) Google your name and see what comes up.
Yes but it could be another person so that is tricky to.
3) Verify the public FB page they found of you is actually you. Lets say they googled it above and found it that way. NO LOGIN
NO FACEBOOK-WHY ON EARTH SHOULD AN EMPLOYER BE ABLE TO PRY INTO THE LIVES OF AN INDIVIDUAL
IN ADDITION TO EXPOSING YOURSELF YOUR EXPOSING OTHERS. NOT A FAIR GAME BOARD.
4) Ask for your FB login
100% NO ---AND FOR MEASURES I DO NOT FACEBOOK
5) Ask to see your email login-
No for all the reasons stated before private is private and you could accidently see other peoples private lives along with other confidential info .
6) Ask to install a remote access program on your computer
NO .................WHAT IS AMERICA NOW COMMUNIST... MAY AS WELL BE WITH ALL THE INTRUSION... WHERE IS THE PRIVACY RULES AND ACTS.
WHAT I SAY DO AND SPEAK OF IN MY OWN PERSONAL AFFAIRS REALLY HAS NO BUSINESS IN THE WORKFORCE/ SO LONG AS I AM NOT HARMING OTHERS.
SEEMS THIS COUNTRY HAS TAKEN A STEP BACKWARDS IN SOME AREAS THAT CLEARLY SHOULD BE LEFT ALONE.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:36 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

When interviewing, should employers be allowed to:

1) Run a credit check
2) Google your name and see what comes up.
3) Verify the public FB page they found of you is actually you. Lets say they googled it above and found it that way. NO LOGIN
4) Ask for your FB login
5) Ask to see your email login
6) Ask to install a remote access program on your computer.

Yes to all of the above. We don't need government telling business how to interview a job applicant.

On the other hand, I would refuse to comply with 3, 4, 5 and 6. If that were a requirement for the job, I would look elsewhere.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I'd check criminal background, work history, and possibly credit. All three are good indicators of responsibility and discipline.
Are they? During the stretch of time when I was taking care of my terminally ill spouse, and for a few months after he died, I was late paying every single bill that came to the house; some were not paid for months. Before that time, I was rarely late paying bills. How does that short time of personal disarray accurately indicate responsibility and discipline?

Old 03-26-2012, 07:26 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Are they? During the stretch of time when I was taking care of my terminally ill spouse, and for a few months after he died, I was late paying every single bill that came to the house; some were not paid for months. Before that time, I was rarely late paying bills. How does that short time of personal disarray accurately indicate responsibility and discipline?

If you had repaired it by now , its a non issue.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
You must understand the personal department people are looking for ways to exclude anyone that might ever be a problem that they would be held responsible for not knowing about. So they will check anything and everything that they could and will use to cover their asses.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:37 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
If you had repaired it by now , its a non issue.
A knee-jerk interviewer might not think so. Especially since said interviewer is forbidden by law to ask about family issues.

Also, what does my ability to pay bills on time ... or not ... have to do with how I would perform my job? Especially one that does not involve paying bills on time? Why would an employer think that my home life and work life are managed the same way? It's not always so (my boss would faint if he saw my desk at home; yet my desk at work is well-organized).

Old 03-26-2012, 07:44 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,199,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
A knee-jerk interviewer might not think so. Especially since said interviewer is forbidden by law to ask about family issues.

Also, what does my ability to pay bills on time ... or not ... have to do with how I would perform my job? Especially one that does not involve paying bills on time? Why would an employer think that my home life and work life are managed the same way? It's not always so (my boss would faint if he saw my desk at home; yet my desk at work is well-organized).
I will start by saying nothing is 100%, and unfortunately your situation makes you the exception, rather than the rule.

The fact that someone doesn't pay bills on time shows they have a better chance of being irresponsible. If they can't pay bills on time, what is to say they won't forget to do something at the job? What is to say they will show up to work on time? If you have the choice between a person with a credit score of 500 who posts drunk pictures of him/herself on facebook every weekend, or a person whose credit score is 790 and whose facebook page shows they volunteer to help others in their free time, which would you want to work for you? Again, nothing is absolute, but the chances are better the second person would be more reliable.

Not always, but hiring is about minimizing the chance of hiring the poor employee.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I will start by saying nothing is 100%, and unfortunately your situation makes you the exception, rather than the rule.

The fact that someone doesn't pay bills on time shows they have a better chance of being irresponsible. If they can't pay bills on time, what is to say they won't forget to do something at the job? What is to say they will show up to work on time? If you have the choice between a person with a credit score of 500 who posts drunk pictures of him/herself on facebook every weekend, or a person whose credit score is 790 and whose facebook page shows they volunteer to help others in their free time, which would you want to work for you? Again, nothing is absolute, but the chances are better the second person would be more reliable.

Not always, but hiring is about minimizing the chance of hiring the poor employee.

Thank you, saved me from posting the same. Many people dont understand the risks involved with hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies