Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Every working day, I willingly work for people I like, who want my product and voluntarily pay me mutually agreeable amounts of money.

Who would I be honoring by refusing these win-win activities? What purpose would be served by thwarting my desire to be useful and productive, and my customers' desire to improve their position by trading their money for my output?

I guess if you are a net drag on the rest of society, not "working" for a day would be an act of charity to my employer--as long as you refused pay for it.
I'm working that day but truly support the movement. I am a business owner and know that my suppliers truly control my profits. Government actions can control supplier's costs, so its in my best interest to support the working, middle, and lower classes. You never know when your doors may shut as an owner and you have to hope that others take care of you like you are hopefully able to take care of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 PM

I find it funny that all of these employees are against the protest. As a business owner I know I'm owned by the government. Their policy decisions are the difference between me staying open and closing doors. When competitors are able to influence the policies of the government, then I'm playing in a corrupt system.

The American people have every right to protest. There are more than enough resources to support our population.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I find it funny that all of these employees are against the protest. As a business owner I know I'm owned by the government. Their policy decisions are the difference between me staying open and closing doors. When competitors are able to influence the policies of the government, then I'm playing in a corrupt system.

The American people have every right to protest. There are more than enough resources to support our population.
YOU are EXACTLY right

That is THE reason I sold our convenience store last year...you can't play against the big money lobbyist,lawyers and buying power working for WalMart and you are pissing in the wind to think different..You are an unpaid tax collector for the IDR and everyone else..been there,done that.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
YOU are EXACTLY right

That is THE reason I sold our convenience store last year...you can't play against the big money lobbyist,lawyers and buying power working for WalMart and you are pissing in the wind to think different...been there,done that.
It's a rigged game where the most money wins out. In my industry, competitors were cutting costs by putting pink slime in their meat. Large packing houses were using ammonia treated garbage meat to increase profit margins. No wonder cancer rates have increased over the past decades.

We can't continue to put profits over EVERYTHING!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
It's a rigged game where the most money wins out. In my industry, competitors were cutting costs by putting pink slime in their meat. Large packing houses were using ammonia treated garbage meat to increase profit margins. No wonder cancer rates have increased over the past decades.

We can't continue to put profits over EVERYTHING!
I agree...hate to drag politics into it,but if the Repubs had their way the USDA etc would be out of business and THEN what would we be eating if it's as bad as it is now?

BTW...if you are in the meat packing "bidness" in Chicago,that makes you a badass by default

Old 03-22-2012, 08:31 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
interesting.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I agree...hate to drag politics into it,but if the Repubs had their way the USDA etc would be out of business and THEN what would we be eating if it's as bad as it is now?

BTW...if you are in the meat packing "bidness" in Chicago,that makes you a badass by default
It's not that way across the industry. It's just that a greedy individual pulled a fast one. There's no laws to even indict her because she acted within her authority. The issue was greed/corruption. She put profits before the well-being of the American public.

Thanks ha ha, I hated the job growing up but love the industry as an adult. We've got some hard working folk. Many have been through hell, but show up to make an honest living every morning at 6am. Our businesses are in KY but we got our start via Chicago.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
It's not that way across the industry. It's just that a greedy individual pulled a fast one. There's no laws to even indict her because she acted within her authority. The issue was greed/corruption. She put profits before the well-being of the American public.

Thanks ha ha, I hated the job growing up but love the industry as an adult. We've got some hard working folk. Many have been through hell, but show up to make an honest living every morning at 6am. Our businesses are in KY but we got our start via Chicago.
KY? If you distribute to southern IL,I may have purchased from you in the past...we sold a LOT of fresh meat in our place

Old 03-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
KY? If you distribute to southern IL,I may have purchased from you in the past...we sold a LOT of fresh meat in our place
We wholesale our raw product to distributors who then sell to supermarkets, restaurants, military, etc. We send a ton of product up to Minooka, IL but I'm not exactly sure how far south it makes it. I'm pretty surprised to be talking about meat packing in this thread ha ha.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Do you own your own business? If not, then don't you have to have an owner to work?
Actually, I do own my own business, and, I do not understand your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies