Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 12:08 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,268,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
I know of a few families around my area who have large families, live in extreme rural isolation, homeschool, homechurch, severely restrict their kid's social outlets to homeschool groups who share their beliefs, and only allow their teens to "court" with the expectation that the outcome of courting is marriage.

This effectively means (as far as I can see) that these are basically arranged marriages. Maybe I'm just crazy but this strikes me as absolute control over a child's life until the child is married and into a situation not easily gotten out of. And then maybe starts thinking for herself. But by then she's probably started gestating and is good and stuck.
One of the reasons i feel religious based homeschooling should not be allowed. And actually one of the bad effects of forcing your children to be homeschooled. And i was homeschooled, but at the age of 12 i began to pitch the fit over it, and my parents have in allowing be to go to school. I doubt these girls get or allowed the choice, and now have little means to leave.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:14 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,735,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
One of the reasons i feel religious based homeschooling should not be allowed. And actually one of the bad effects of forcing your children to be homeschooled. And i was homeschooled, but at the age of 12 i began to pitch the fit over it, and my parents have in allowing be to go to school. I doubt these girls get or allowed the choice, and now have little means to leave.
This is one of the many curricula I've seen out there:
Homeschool Curriculum Biblical Womanhood and Manhood-Womanhood Page

I homeschooled my youngest daughter for 4 years (5th-8th) but we did it for academic reasons. She needed a far more rigorous program than the local school offered so we used The Calvert School (Calvert Homepage).

But we seemed to be the minority among homeschoolers. Most that I know of were doing it because of religion.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,655,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkaos2 View Post
But the one that ended up actually killing ERA was no exemption for women from being drafted. Once that was widely publicized, ERA was dead.
You are aware that Franklin Roosevelt proposed drafting nurses in his 1945 SOTU message and that the nurses selective service act was passed by congress, yes? The only reason nurses weren't drafted then was the war in Europe ended in April and some nurses were reassigned to the Pacific front. If we had invaded Japan, which was the plan, nurses would likely have been drafted. At the time, the nursing profession was approximately 99.99% female; it's still at least 90% female. When I found that all these laws "protecting" women didn't apply when it was inconvenient, e.g. laws against women working at night, except for nurses, it sped up my conversion to feminism. This was in the late 60s when I was a nursing student in college.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:17 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,051,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The feminazis are in full force in this thread. Just face it feminazis, you don't want equal treatment, because you have that already, you want SPECIAL treatment! Which you also get.
Dude, you are right on the money. Tell them what's up! Just a bunch of female supremacists who literally want to destroy the normal segment of the male gender. Now the "men" who support their hate group, feminists won't attack them.

Feminists just want society to cater to their phony emotions.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,655,764 times
Quote:
But the one that ended up actually killing ERA was no exemption for women from being drafted. Once that was widely publicized, ERA was dead.
You are aware that Franklin Roosevelt proposed drafting nurses in his 1945 SOTU message and that the nurses selective service act was within one vote of passage in the senate when Germany surrendered, yes? If we had invaded Japan, which was the plan, nurses would likely have been drafted. At the time, the nursing profession was approximately 99.99% female; it's still at least 90% female. When I found that all these laws "protecting" women didn't apply when it was inconvenient, e.g. laws against women working at night, except for nurses, it sped up my conversion to feminism. This was in the late 60s when I was a nursing student in college.

Nurses, u.s. Army Nurse Corps in World War II (Medical Service)

Old 03-23-2012, 12:27 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,735,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Dude, you are right on the money. Tell them what's up! Just a bunch of female supremacists who literally want to destroy the normal segment of the male gender. Now the "men" who support their hate group, feminists won't attack them.

I adore how the anti-feminist men who post on this thread are perfect examples of ignorant and uneducated, mouth-breathing, drooling, knuckle-dragging troglodytes.
http://bestsmileys.com/drooling/2.gif (broken link) http://bestsmileys.com/drooling/2.gif (broken link)

And so worried they're going to lose their "segments". What...are they earthworms now?

Old 03-23-2012, 12:31 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,143,315 times
Quote:
Where the heck did you get that from? It's not true.

The draft ended in 1973.

The ERA failed ratification in 1982.

The draft was a dead issue at the height of the debate and voting.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-23-2012 at 12:40 PM..

Old 03-23-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post

AWWWW upset poor wittle women make you feel inferior?

Old 03-23-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Where the heck did you get that from? It's not true.
Maybe he's referring to baseball

Old 03-23-2012, 12:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,143,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Maybe he's referring to baseball
Distinct possibility.

Sometimes I wonder where people get this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies