U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2006, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Missouri
2,814 posts, read 11,898,924 times
Reputation: 2000001281

Advertisements

More news... The lead article in the Worldnetdaily this evening is about the NAFTA superhighway and North American Union being thwarted by Republican Congressmen led by Republican Representative Virgil Goode Jr. of Virginia and co-sponsored by Representative Tom Tancredo of Colorado (I like that guy!), Representative Ron Paul of Texas, and Representative Walter Jones of North Carolina. The resolution is designed to: express "the sense of Congress that the United States should not engage in the construction of a North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Superhighway System or enter into a North American Union (NAU) with Mexico and Canada."
It goes further and says that such activity is a threat to the sovereignty of the United States and endangers Americans who cannot collect on Mexican insurance companies if involved in accidents involving Mexican truckers, thereby increasing rates for Americans. It also mentions NAFTA having resulted in significant trade deficits with Canada and Mexico, and it mentions the proposed superhighway being a transport into the USA of illegal drugs, migrants, uninspected vehicles, etc. The resolution calls for the House of Representatives to agree on three issues of determination:
The United States should not engage in the construction of a North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Superhighway System;

The United States should not enter into a North American Union with Mexico and Canada;

The President should indicate strong opposition to these or any other proposals that threaten the sovereignty of the United States. It looks like Congress if acknowledging the issue and some are taking steps to put an end to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2006, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Comunistafornia, and working to get out ASAP!
1,959 posts, read 4,643,231 times
Reputation: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
More news... The lead article in the Worldnetdaily this evening is about the NAFTA superhighway and North American Union being thwarted by Republican Congressmen led by Republican Representative Virgil Goode Jr. of Virginia and co-sponsored by Representative Tom Tancredo of Colorado (I like that guy!), Representative Ron Paul of Texas, and Representative Walter Jones of North Carolina. The resolution is designed to: express "the sense of Congress that the United States should not engage in the construction of a North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Superhighway System or enter into a North American Union (NAU) with Mexico and Canada."
It goes further and says that such activity is a threat to the sovereignty of the United States and endangers Americans who cannot collect on Mexican insurance companies if involved in accidents involving Mexican truckers, thereby increasing rates for Americans. It also mentions NAFTA having resulted in significant trade deficits with Canada and Mexico, and it mentions the proposed superhighway being a transport into the USA of illegal drugs, migrants, uninspected vehicles, etc. The resolution calls for the House of Representatives to agree on three issues of determination:
The United States should not engage in the construction of a North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Superhighway System;

The United States should not enter into a North American Union with Mexico and Canada;

The President should indicate strong opposition to these or any other proposals that threaten the sovereignty of the United States. It looks like Congress if acknowledging the issue and some are taking steps to put an end to it!

Amen! thank God. We still need to write and call senators and reps.

So if all this was not true why would these congressmen be taking up the issue? It is true and dangerous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2006, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Galveston, Texas
169 posts, read 616,439 times
Reputation: 79
Here is a place where you can write to your congressman about this and other issues like it. http://capwiz.com/jbs/home/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2006, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Missouri
6,044 posts, read 21,141,653 times
Reputation: 5033
Verification from a non-media source:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=hc109-487
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2006, 12:04 AM
 
1,723 posts, read 4,994,578 times
Reputation: 1349
"When you go to the whitehouse.gov site go to their search (top right) and type in NAFTA then read the articles look close at the wording esp. the one that speaks of the amount of Mexican trucks coming in because of NAFTA. The next logical step is the superhighway! If people do not believe this stuff that's fine with me, but just remember when it does come, and it will, those same people should remind themselves they did not believe it. "

LOL, because some article on the White House site discusses increasing numbers of Mexican trucks, that automatically means a NAFTA superhighway is being planned?

You guys need to go to an accredited four year university and learn how to check your sources for accuracy and reliability. Your right-wing conspiracy websites are a very poor source of information.

As for free trade, get used to it. Half of the cheap junk you buy at Wally Mart is already shipped from China, which happens to be our #2 trading partner. I would personally be thrilled to see Mexico replace China in the #2 spot. At least Mexico isn't a nuclear power run by a quasi-communist dictatorship known for human rights abuses.

Moderator cut: Personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2006, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Comunistafornia, and working to get out ASAP!
1,959 posts, read 4,643,231 times
Reputation: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
LOL, because some article on the White House site discusses increasing numbers of Mexican trucks, that automatically means a NAFTA superhighway is being planned?
LOL myself! Yes it is being planned open you eyes.

Quote:
You guys need to go to an accredited four year university and learn how to check your sources for accuracy and reliability. Your right-wing conspiracy websites are a very poor source of information.
So the Whitehouse.gov is a right-wing conspiracy web site and so is the congress? LOL The report just came out that congress will be looking into it. But to you it's just a sprite?

Quote:
I'll tell you the real source of all this angst - feelings of racism and xenophobia....
So, is it a crime? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2006, 08:09 AM
 
1,723 posts, read 4,994,578 times
Reputation: 1349
You ignored my most important comment -- the fact that globalization is inevitable, has already occured, and that we'd be better off trading with Mexico than with China. Guess what, we would stop getting illegal immigrants from Mexico if they had better jobs in their own country! Do you think they would WANT to live here where they don't understand our language, if they could live decent lives back home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2006, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Missouri
2,814 posts, read 11,898,924 times
Reputation: 2000001281
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
You ignored my most important comment -- the fact that globalization is inevitable, has already occured, and that we'd be better off trading with Mexico than with China. Guess what, we would stop getting illegal immigrants from Mexico if they had better jobs in their own country! Do you think they would WANT to live here where they don't understand our language, if they could live decent lives back home?
You've already discredited yourself in your first posting tarp. Your statements were in fact incorrect and incomplete. Yes, China is our #2 trading partner by volume and $, but WalMart in the U.S. stocks and sells actually over 70% Chinese products, not half as you state. As far as the Superhighway, you can look up yourself H. CON. RES. 487, the resolution introduced by Congressman Virgil Goode Jr. of Virginia on Sept. 28th,2006. Maybe YOU should take your own advice to learn accuracy and cite reliable sources before whipping up imaginary figures interspersed with punctuated half-facts and slandering others and hit the books, learn to read statistics, and acquire the ability to discern an argument based on facts from an argument based on unsubstantiated accusations?? Just a thought tarp

Last edited by MoMark; 10-04-2006 at 05:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2006, 11:51 PM
 
1,723 posts, read 4,994,578 times
Reputation: 1349
I said half of the junk YOU buy at Wal-Mart is from China. Not half of what they stock. I made an assumption about YOUR personal purchases, not Wal-Mart's entire merchandise selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2006, 01:22 PM
 
67 posts, read 219,784 times
Reputation: 24
I love it when people call people conspiracy people when they say something the others do not like. The NASCO is going to happen and no amount of calling names and such and showing how uneducated a person is will stop it. Why do you think that the borders are wide open and have been left open no matter what the people want. I miss Missouri and we live in NM close to tbe Mexican border.

GQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top