Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 10:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I'll bet you were against Obama's healthcare reform long before the cruise.

The German healthcare does very well. Maybe that could serve as a model.
Most Patients Happy With German Health Care : NPR
Most Patients Happy With German Health Care : NPR
and it's successful!
http://www.thelundreport.org/resourc...lthcare_debate (broken link)
We have our healthcare now. Massachusetts is our model, not Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 10:54 AM

60 posts, read 127,790 times
Republicans get fired just like Democrats do. College kids get diagnosed with Stage IV cancer too. You're legally obliged to pay car insurance and you may never get in a car accident but everybody posting on this thread is going to take sick and die... Democrats are not necessarily poor and Republicans rich, in fact the Republicans I know tend to be poorer than the Dems - let's face it: the vast majority of Dems are better educated.. that is why they are Dems and that is why they make more money (and pay more taxes). And they are willing to pay more taxes because they once got, in English 101, a dose of John Donne (a preacher for you religious Republican folks) and know that 'no man is an island' and 'when the bell tolls, it tolls for thee..'.

It's like they've all been hypnotized by slimy old Rupert Murdoch (a foreign devil if ever there was one) into cutting off their noses to spite their faces. Dammit, I will NOT pay or ever need health care! And my kids won't either... nor my grandkids..

Old 03-25-2012, 11:10 AM

63 posts, read 78,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We were on a cruise last fall, because it originated in Canada about 1/2 of the passengers were Canadians. We ate with, tourned with and played trivcia with many of these people. They were from all walks of life and all political persuasions, not one thought theire Government health care plan was working the way it should. I won't go into detail but the complaints ran from too long of waits to see a doctor, too many restrictions on who can and can get treated and too costly to the tax payers. Obviously some were happier than others, but not one thought those we talked to were happy. That is all it took for us to realize Obamacare is not a good thing.

Nita

Did you ask how many Canadians went bankrupt or lost their houses because of medical issues?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:54 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,779 times
While driving through Alabama this past year, I saw a billboard that said "Healthcare" with a Communist symbol incorporated into it, and below it it said 'Never elect a Democrat.'

To be honest, with a couple of exceptions, I haven't had an INTELLIGENT political argument with a conservative on anything.

The problem with our present health care system is that it is a "for profit" system. It is not a "for better health" system. That is why it costs 3 times higher per person that any other industrialized nation but delivers overall poor care (the U.S. ranks about 37th on the World Health Org. list)

35% of every health care dollar goes for administrative costs (much due to dealing with health insurance Co.s). Insurance companies get paid for profit as well but act as middle men between the patient and the care/doctor.. They not only cause more expense in the system, they don't provide care.

In fact, health insurance companies make more profits denying care. If we had system which eliminated private for-profit health insurance, we would conceivably have a much cheaper and efficient system which would cost everyone less and eventually lead to better care

Whether to keep the Health Care Act or not? Okay, if the provisions of the Health Care Act are revoked, we would be in the same position as before Obama with millions not getting medical treatments. People point to the 2014 mandate that requires everyone to buy insurance which may not materialize. The government is going to subsidize everyone to buy their own insurance. We have some taxes to pay for it and on upper income people their tax should raise by 3.8% percent which is the same as it was in 1999.

You are smart enough to recognize that the "death panels" (committees to decide whether a very ill elderly person lives or dies) is false despite what the Republicans and Tea Partyers think.

When you have insurance, the doctor always makes a decision about terminating your care based on whether you should have life support and what your wishes or your family's wishes are, how much your insurance benefits will cover. Some people said the government, Medicare, would decide when to end the patient's care. Medicare only pays claims. The government would not turn down any claim but private direct pay insurance does. Thats why this is a false argument.

Obamacare (Health Care Act) is not universal care because it does not cover everyone and does not have people paying the government for their care. Our system is still privately paid for except for the Veterans Administration which is totally a government health delivery and Medicare which is a subsidy for seniors and disabled to buy private insurance.

Medicaid is for people who are below a certain level of poverty and is separate from Medicare. It is decided at the local county level.

Old 03-25-2012, 11:56 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Any national reform in the US is NOT meant to be modeled after health care availability in Canada or Europe or other places that provide free health care.

The way I understand it is like this:
60% of the population is covered under an employer's plan of an employer that is large and decent enough to offer health care coverage
13% of the population is covered under Medicare (and can buy wraparound plans to bring their costs even lower)
13% of the population is covered by Medicaid, state programs for the indigent who plain out don't have a lot of money.

That leaves 1 out of 7 (14%) Americans without a sponsored health plan - self-employed people, people who work in small businesses, and people who aren't poor enough to be on Medicaid. Some of these people CAN AND DO buy it. Others can't, because (1) they can't afford to, or (2) have a pre-existing condition. With item (2) the insurance companies will deny people coverage if they have a less than optimal health record - for controllable things like hypertension or if they've used sleeping pills for insomnia!

As I understand it, health care reform is aimed at getting access for that 1 in 7 that can't get it - your hairdresser, your bookkeeper, your plumber or electrician, a free-lance appraiser...and they won't get it for free. If they make normal money, they'll pay a market rate that doesn't penalize them for a pre-existing condition. If they're not "in the chips," they'll pay some indexed discounted rate.

Story: I was driving down a major boulevard in a conservative section of a state capital where, whether it's same-sex marriage or health reform, the WASPy faces of those who either work for a large company or the government are out there holding signs against health care reform. I guess since it's a "given" for them, they're against it. Talk about inequity.

So, then, if it's to assist that minority (14%) of the US population that won't be sold insurance or can't qualify for Medicaid, why are people so rabidly against this?
wow if it was that simple. only 14%.. of people don't have ins.why then do they have to mess with 86% of us who do have ins? 86% of Americans will have restrictive government ins. because of the 14% of people who do not have ins.!!! here's an idea why not just worry about the 14% and just take care of them and leave the 86% of the population alone!! Obama care would probably only need 2or3 hundred pages. but no, they choose to create a monstrosity that takes over 2500 hundred pages of B.S. regulations!! I'm not against it. it is the process of that everyone must be restricted with their health care by the government! why not just raise taxes to take of the 14%.! makes lots of sense. Obama care. is just a tax hike. why not called it for what it is! a tax hike!!!

Old 03-25-2012, 12:16 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
The fine is less then providing health care
And today not providing any coverage is cheaper than providing a plan, yet companies provide it. Why do you think that is?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:22 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
How is passing a law saying someone must have it going to help them get it? If ya cant afford it , ya cant afford it. Dosnt matter if the law says you have to have it.
Then you must surely believe in health care through bankruptcy.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:26 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
What is the answer. Conservatives have already voiced their answer over and over...let 'em die.
And surely those conservatives voicing that are blessed with very good health with no severe chronic illnesses.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The second link provides insight.
LOL! A 2 1/2 year old link that was written before the legislation was enacted. Here is a quote:

Proposed legislation includes a provision to create a temporary reinsurance program for employers providing health benefits to retirees over age 55 and not yet eligible for Medicare.

This did not happen. I wish it would have. I don't really want to work until age 65.

Here's another one:

More employers might move toward capping their contributions.

• Employers that want to maintain retiree health benefits might react by cutting the health benefits of active workers.

• Employers might eliminate retiree health benefits to avoid being locked into providing a permanent benefit, or they might drop benefits if they think there is no need to provide them.

Now have any of these things happened? I can assure you #2 did not happen with our employer-provided insurance.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:04 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
Did you ask them how will they feel if their canadian health care change into american health cae system???
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We were on a cruise last fall, because it originated in Canada about 1/2 of the passengers were Canadians. We ate with, tourned with and played trivcia with many of these people. They were from all walks of life and all political persuasions, not one thought theire Government health care plan was working the way it should. I won't go into detail but the complaints ran from too long of waits to see a doctor, too many restrictions on who can and can get treated and too costly to the tax payers. Obviously some were happier than others, but not one thought those we talked to were happy. That is all it took for us to realize Obamacare is not a good thing.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies